Resistant starches.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Nearly a year on low calorie, mostly, 800 rising to 1200 then to 1800 calorie, a steady weight loss of 4 1/2 stone, (about 1/4 of my body mass) a lot of exercise, and I do seem to have improved from diagnosis. Some days are better than others, certainly, the harder I exercise, the better my numbers.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@phoenix One of the reasons I don't like a lot of fat, I used to live on proton pump inhibitors, omeprazole prescribed at the moment, which causes their own problems with gut bacteria.

Loss of weight, and stomach fat also greatly improved the acid reflux I used to get.
Fat still sets it off though.

My breath is not the best and my doc prescribed omeprazole for acids in my stomach. Tried it for 2 weeks and was not impressed and then stopped.. breath still not great though....

H

Hooked

What ever you do don't make mistakes when reheating, RICE
Rice naturally contains the spores of a bacterium called bacillus cereus. If you cook rice correctly, then store in a calibrated refrigerator within two hours, you have nothing to fear. The problem comes when cooked rice is kept at an unsafe temperature for a long period of time as this allows the spores to breed. No amount of reheating after that can kill them, and eating the rice can cause diarrhoea and vomiting. Any food cooked and stored improperly can make you sick, but many people don’t know rice is a potential culprit.

I learned this lesson the hard way many years ago whilst pregnant with my second child. Family had gotten a Chinese, being late back myself and my Mum reheated ours (only about an hour later) and ate it. Both of us were very, very ill that night. I was taken into hospital and given injections for the sickness and at one stage the midwives were quite concerned for the well being of my baby.
Cool it quickly, keep cold, and reheat it quickly to piping hot.

Reactions: 4 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a small experiment tonight, with some very interesting results!

I had 50g (dry weight) of whole wheat pasta and took no insulin for it. I had a small amount of grated cheese with it and cooked it for the recommended time of 12 mins. I then cooled it in the fridge for and hour before microwaving it for 2 mins. My before reading was 7.4 and my two hour post meal reading was 9.7.

My basal is correct and I've done no exercise today. I'm going to test in the night and when I wake up.

All very promising so far as the 35g of carbs should've raised my levels by around 6 mmol/l. My results tonight are consistent with the 50% reduction in digestible carbs hypothesis. Obviously if my levels go up overnight this might turn out to be rubbish!

Tomorrow, I'm going to experiment by cooling and reheating twice. I'll keep you updated!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At 2AM my BG was 10.9 and when I woke up it was at 9.6; a net rise of 2 mmol/l for 50g of pasta (containing the same amount of carbs as half a bottle of lucozade) is pretty good in my book. So for this experiment, it looks very encouraging so far! Very exciting stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At 2AM my BG was 10.9 and when I woke up it was at 9.6; a net rise of 2 mmol/l for 50g of pasta (containing the same amount of carbs as half a bottle of lucozade) is pretty good in my book. So for this experiment, it looks very encouraging so far! Very exciting stuff!

This is looking promising! I will probably try it again over the next week or so, and try to remember to report back, on here. (I'm T2, so a different set of parameters and circumstances to you but I guess it's relevant to all of us).

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I completed my second experiment today, reheating and cooling the 50g of pasta twice. There was no noticeable difference in net BG rise before and after. Tonight I started off at 4.6 mmol/l and two hours after 6.8 mmol/l. So it's not worth going through the cycle twice.

Bearing in mind, these results are without any fast acting insulin. It's pretty remarkable really.

I'll also point out that whilst the absolute numbers of experiment 1 - being at 10 overnight and waking up at 9 - are **** by my (or any conscientious diabrtic's) standards. It was the net change that I was interested in. A net change of 2mmol/l for a bowl of pasta is great, especially for a T1 who didn't inject insulin for it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I completed my second experiment today, reheating and cooling the 50g of pasta twice. There was no noticeable difference in net BG rise before and after. Tonight I started off at 4.6 mmol/l and two hours after 6.8 mmol/l. So it's not worth going through the cycle twice.

Bearing in mind, these results are without any fast acting insulin. It's pretty remarkable really.

I'll also point out that whilst the absolute numbers of experiment 1 - being at 10 overnight and waking up at 9 - are **** by my (or any conscientious diabrtic's) standards. It was the net change that I was interested in. A net change of 2mmol/l for a bowl of pasta is great, especially for a T1 who didn't inject insulin for it.

Interesting results Sam, but can I ask why you didn't take any QA insulin with your meal last night, surely had you done so the results would have been more promising.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting results Sam, but can I ask why you didn't take any QA insulin with your meal last night, surely had you done so the results would have been more promising.

My day job is working in the results of oncology clinical trials. Any scientist will tell you that if you want to make a measurement of a variable (the glycemic response from resistant starch), you need to keep other variables in the system constant. In particular, I didn't want any variation in the amount of injected insulin entering my bloodstream, or any slight errors in my carb:insulin ratio affecting the results. Any slight error crept into this experiment would've changed the result of ~2mmol/l net increase.

Hence, I measured the glycemic response to the carbs and not my ability to counteract the high; which, of course I am capable of. Absolutely, I will cover the carbs with insulin in the future.

I try to have less than 20g carbs in my evening meal. A 50g portion of wholeweat resistant starch pasta seems to now be acceptable. Which is brilliant as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My day job is working in the results of oncology clinical trials. Any scientist will tell you that if you want to make a measurement of a variable (the glycemic response from resistant starch), you need to keep other variables in the system constant. In particular, I didn't want any variation in the amount of injected insulin entering my bloodstream, or any slight errors in my carb:insulin ratio affecting the results. Any slight error crept into this experiment would've changed the result of ~2mmol/l net increase.

Hence, I measured the glycemic response to the carbs and not my ability to counteract the high; which, of course I am capable of. Absolutely, I will cover the carbs with insulin in the future.

I try to have less than 20g carbs in my evening meal. A 50g portion of wholeweat resistant starch pasta seems to now be acceptable. Which is brilliant as far as I'm concerned.

I see, I just thought it strange given that even low-carb meals still need a bolus dose. Glad you've found something else that you can eat Sam :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried 2 tablespoonsful of wholewheat pasta (much less than usual) reheated from frozen at lunchtime today with a few pieces of cold roast chicken and Hellmans Real mayo, and alas after just over an hour I tested over 8 -- a spike of nearly 3 quite quickly. In a few weeks maybe I'll try again with more fat but I'm not holding my breath.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This video might help Ms Harcombe come to grips with where the calories go, some of them feed our bacteria and some are used for energy in the small intestine itself. It shows why resistant starches may have benefits beyond looking at vitamins/minerals etc There are though foods that have both resistant starch and a higher normal nutrient content than white pasta
It is from CISRO, Australia's national science agency

Of course dairy products contain butyrate (the name comes from butter) and you will find lots of blogs suggesting that must mean it is beneficial to the gut. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm/disprove this . Can it get to the small intestine having been absorbed earlier in digestion? One paper said it wasn't in big enough quantities to effect gut health but didn't give any reference

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.6 pre meal

5.8 after 30 minutes

5.7 after 60 minutes

5.5 after 2 hours.

So a resounding success

I may up the ante, as it wasn't a huge amount of potato.
I also put a couple of baked potatoes in, which are now in the fridge.

I may try one of those re-heated tomorrow.

How does that compare to freshly cook, un-reheated pots?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
How about reheated toast? I'd love some hot buttered toast with marmite! :hungry:
No way! Yuk,! With a capital yuk!

I mean butter, not the market!

Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwww!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone tried frying sliced cold boiled potatoes? I'm tempted to buy some to try it out but wondered if anyone has already done it.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Has anyone tried frying sliced cold boiled potatoes? I'm tempted to buy some to try it out but wondered if anyone has already done it.
Tried it saute potatoes ....spiked me big time ::((

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tried it saute potatoes ....spiked me big time ::((

With pre boiled spuds? That's a shame, a few fried pots would go lovely with a fry up! I'm fine with 1 fried Birds Eye waffle, 13g carb, but not the same as real spuds.