What are realistic morning readings?

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

I know many of us have experience of the 'fun' of trying to overcome the dawn phenomenon without causing ourselves to have nighttime hypos... I just wondered, what numbers do you consider to be 'ok' for your morning (fasting) reading?

I ask as I'm currently still mostly waking at 7 or 8, despite going to bed in the 6's... And was having a conversation with another diabetic who said those numbers were ok... I was worried they're a bit too high, but I also worry that if I increase my nighttime 'basal' (I'm on NPH/Isophane - so it's not quite the same as other long acting) I may increase my risk of a hypo...

I know non-diabetics are in the 4s & 5's fasting, but I'm not sure what's realistic for us to be aiming for... The rest of the day my pre-meal readings are between 4-6, its just my morning one thats off... Hence be grateful / interested to hear what others are/think :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
single figures and I am happy...............even on the pump I am happy with single figures........

on injections it considerably more difficult to try and tackle the dawn rise if you are seeing it......

how do you feel in the morning in the 7s and 8s..........?

Reactions: 2 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
single figures and I am happy...............even on the pump I am happy with single figures........

on injections it considerably more difficult to try and tackle the dawn rise if you are seeing it......

how do you feel in the morning in the 7s and 8s..........?

Erm.... well - I'm super sleepy in the mornings.... Takes me a while to get going and certainly don't wake with a "zing" - but it's been literally about three years (maybe more) since I've had a fasting blood sugar below 6 (I was thought to be "prediabetic" for a while before realising I was t1/LADA - so had a looooonnngggg time with just super low carb diet and no meds) - anyhoo - my point being, I don't know what it would compare to - and whether I'd be super bouncy n' chipper if I were waking lower... :rolleyes::);):D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As your soon going to be trying for a baby I would discuss your night-time and waking levels with your DSN. Personally I like to wake between 5-7mmol although I do wake with a higher or lower level occasionally. Much like most diabetics I like to get my night levels within range as it accounts for a third of the day, but the previous days activities can influence fasting levels so this always needs to be kept in mind.

btw, I'm on a once daily dose of lantus.

Reactions: 5 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@noblehead - the baby thing is why I'm feeling a little more concerned about the morning no's - cos I know they want (and we should aim for) as close as non-diabetic numbers as possible in pregnancy.... the problem is that if I speak to my team, they will tell me I need to switch back to Levemir or Lantus - as they were TOTALLY against me going onto porcine to start with. In fact my consultant flat refused to prescribe me with it - it was my GP who did.....

So I know that, rather than help me get better numbers with the porcine, they'll just use it as a reason to switch me back.... and I know you know how *awful* I felt on that :-(

I've done masses of reading about the safety of porcine in pregnancy - and it's safe - in fact could be said safer than Lantus due to it's FDA category - plus the number of years people had babies on porcine before Lantus et al existed - so from all other angles (including that I was an emotional, aching, unwell mess on the analogues) then I feel porcine is better for me - I'm just not sure how to tackle the morning aspect - plus whether other people realistically do get much lower, without a pump...?

I know from night testing that I'm 'only' rising into the 7/8's around 4am - and I inject around 7am, so it's probably only 4hrs a day I'm running at that number - just don't know how hyper I should be about trying to better that? :-/

Another possibility, of course, may be to go on a pump....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm not too sure Artemis, none of us are HCP's on the forum and if we were we couldn't advise, it's probably best that you do talk about your bg levels prior to getting pregnant, I'm sure your hospital team will have a designated DSN who deals in such matters. Good luck.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Aw I know lovely @noblehead - I didn't mean to be asking if you can advise - just trying to work it out - n you lot often know more than the peeps at my hospital....! :)

Anyway - I do know I have to speak to them - and will... My GP is trying to get me into a different team, so fingers crossed...

Reactions: 3 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just my opinion... I would really ask about getting a pump - nighttime bg is much easier to control with a pump.

You should be able to get funding since you're trying for a baby.

Good luck getting a more supportive team!

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just my opinion... I would really ask about getting a pump - nighttime bg is much easier to control with a pump.

Thank you.... and good to know @PaulinaB! :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told by my DN to aim between 5 & 7 mmol which makes sense. Yes, you need to watch out for hypos

Reactions: 3 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
The only acceptable fasting blood sugar (morning) levels for me are between 4 and 5 mmol,

Reactions: 4 people

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders

True. I've got my pump funding approved within 8 weeks and apparently it was easier for me to get one cos I'm ttc:)

lynnanne

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only acceptable fasting blood sugar (morning) levels for me are between 4 and 5 mmol,

Hi everyone, I am a T2. My readings is usually between 6 to 7s. My GP said that it is best to try to achieve a figure under 6.5. I do occasionally get a higher reading if I eat something bad during dinner.

Wurst, your results are so good, can you give us some advise on what you did to achieve between 4 and 5. Mine doesn't go below 6.3 despite my many many attempts.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Wurst, your results are so good, can you give us some advise on what you did to achieve between 4 and 5. Mine doesn't go below 6.3 despite my many many attempts.

The 4 and 5 mmol fasting values are my target and I am generally in this range 90 % of the time. Saying that my last 1AC test was 5 % so I can't be far off. It's down to a combination of a low carb high protein diet medium fat , a high exercise (sometimes twice / thrice daily) regime and always keeping weight at target level to keep insulin doses down. If you haven't read Dr Bernstein's Diabetic Solution , I recommend it. I follow his advice with some tweaks of my own. Good luck

lynnanne

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Wurst,

Just got back online. Thanks for your kind advise. Really appreciate it.

bobemartin

I have been a type 2 Diabetic for over 20 years. Until about two years ago I managed my diabetes with pills and Lantus and just accepted the suggested guideline of keeping my A1C below 7%, which I did most of the time. However, when I was forced to start managing my sugar with insulin about two years ago I realizes that accepting the 7% guideline was a mistake. I have for the last two years maintain an average of 5.3% A1C with the help of a Dexcom CGM, insulin and my eating habits. My sugar level goals are to keep my overnight and morning fasting at or below the normal non-diabetic range and my day time sugar levels as close to non-diabetic levels as possible, which I have been very successful in doing. I suggestion to new and old diabetics is to take control of your diabetes, and I do mean total control. Don't be like I was and just accept it and just get by the best you can. Good luck.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Morning numbers for me are between 3 and 5, most of the time around 5 ... i'll go to bed around 7 to 10 and wake up around 5 or less

My endro says that 4 to 6 are good waking numbers 7 is pushing it and higher isn't good at all.