Diabetes doesn't stop 14 year old Freya!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We recently received an amazing success story from the parent of a young girl with type 1 diabetes who went on to become a world champion kickboxer. This story is too inspirational not to share!

My daughter Freya was diagnosed as type 1 diabetic in September 2012, following several weeks of tummy pains and thirst I decided to test her glucose levels with my husband’s meter as he is type 2 diabetic. Her reading was 18 so we went straight to our local nurse who then retested and it was 20. We were then sent straight to hospital, where they confirmed that nothing other than type one diabetes would cause these levels.

We were told that if Freya could inject herself we would be allowed go home the same day. The hospital were and still are fantastic with the support they give both Freya and the family.

Once arriving home the impact on the whole family was hard, my younger daughter had jealousy issues as Freya needed our attention more. Family and friends were very nervous about having Freya overnight and dealing with her testing and injecting correctly. Freya has coped fantastically with the diabetes with only a few hiccups along the way and with a period of not wanting to be diabetic and not wanting to test, which is still sometimes an issue. Freya also finds it hard to listen to people talking about diabetes in the media as when they talk about diabetes it is mainly type two and then people confuse the two types. It is also hard to deal with comments such as how have you got diabetes you’re not fat, or you’re not allowed to eat that are you your diabetic.

Just before Freya’s diagnoses she had been picked for the England BCKA kickboxing squad and was training both with England and her local clubs up to 5 times a week. The day after her diagnoses she was back at training.

The diabetes has not stopped Freya’s training she has just had adjust her snacks and insulin to allow for the intense training, which the hospital has been helping her with.

This year alone Freya has gained several British and European titles in kickboxing and on November 1st we traveled to Portugal for the World Kickboxing Championships where Freya competed and gained 2 individual World Titles and a Team Title.

10438587_1493329154273365_3495026916997232527_n.jpg

10511215_10205284204812430_6922775407303280863_n.jpg

10676416_10205284197452246_8367452038081250294_n.jpg

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that's certainly an inspirational story, nice pics too! Thanks for sharing that with us :)

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, thoroughly agree, a lovely inspirational start to the week. It's a great story for the parents of newly diagnosed children to read.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done Freya, a remarkable achievement.

Angiejean

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
What an amazing girl. it would be great to know how you deal with the extra carbs / less insulin needed for such success. We do ok when its sport but always get the lows later in the day even if at the time there are no problems. it would be good to know how to compensate. Do you test much more during and after?