Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
at 2 hours:

7 and 6.6

so, 4 Nairns cheese oatcakes (with butter) is doable, but considering that high point of 9, I intend to try and restrict myself to 2 or 3 at a time, preferably buried in a meal.

OK, enough time wasting. Off to do something productive. ;)

Reactions: 7 people

alliebee

Well, I was going to economise on posts, and save this up for the 2 hour slot.
But your feverish anticipation is so encouraging, here are the 1 hr results:

8.1 and 8.4

( also tested at 40 mins - yes, I am bored - and was 8.5 and 9.1 then. not impressed. but it looks like I have passed the hump!)
Then that's no worse than my daughter and she isn't diabetic!!! Yay!!! Orders many boxes :)

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love to have lots of figures of non diabetics to compare things to as sometimes I think maybe I lose sight of what is normal as opposed to the averages spouted by NICE etc. While in an ideal world we'd all be running way below the 7.8 or lower at 2 hrs, I'm sure not all non-diabetics are hitting that target at every meal.

Reactions: 4 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love to have lots of figures of non diabetics to compare things to as sometimes I think maybe I lose sight of what is normal as opposed to the averages spouted by NICE etc. While in an ideal world we'd all be running way below the 7.8 or lower at 2 hrs, I'm sure not all non-diabetics are hitting that target at every meal.
I'm sure they're not :) it's hard watching them eat whatever they like when they like...Its not what they eat so much as how their bodies deal with it. Those were the days :) I'm having a duvet day on the sofa, guess I need to speak to my GP about the nausea I'm getting.

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea: Bacon, tomatoes and a 30g chunk of smoked cheddar, slice of bread and strawberry yoghurt

Treat . Small pack Cadbury buttons

Total of 30g carb for the day , BG in the 5's despite feeling "fluey " all day.

Reactions: 6 people

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
B 2 egg omelette
L 2 burgers with bacon, mushrooms Stilton wrapped in iceberg with blob of tomato sauce, fat bomb ( these really are lush, thx to the person who posted recipe, sorry forgot name )
D chicken salad, yoghurt & strawberries

@AV. Not sure if coincidence but my fbg has been consistently high recently, usually in range of 9.1 - 10.7 I have been on the milk thistle for 3 days only and this morning fbg was 8.3 I know not much to some but for me to finally see an 8 was very exciting, in my mind it was coincidence, but here's hoping that thistle is working, will hope for same tomorrow :)

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast two eggs, scrambled
lunch portion homemade tandoori chicken, 1oz double Gloucester with chives, red pepper, red onion and tomato salsa and lettuce
snack sliver 85% chocolate and a tiny handful of dry roasted nuts
dinner few pieces leftover tandoori chunks, more salsa, 1 onion bajhia, paneer and green bean curry, 1/4 poppadum
may have half an apple and some cheese later

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Avocado Sevenfold tried out a new curry tonight which was nice and vegetarian- green beans and paneer- really simple to make.
The recipe suggested cooking beans with onions after the initial browning stage but I like mine with more bite so steamed them.

Fry one medium chopped onion in a tbsp oil till starting to soften and go brown. Add one very finely chopped green chilli( i may only add a half next time as quite hot!) and cook till softened and onions golden brown. Then add 1 heaped tbsp of garlic and ginger paste( I tend to use jars of ginger so mixed that with a squirt of garlic paste I also had lying about) and cook for a minute or so, then add 2tsp chilli powder and 1 tsp turmeric and stir to coat onions. Cook for couple of minutes to lose the raw flavour, then add a large handful of chopped fresh tomato and stir in well. Add half a block of diced paneer and stir fry to coat in the spices for a few minutes. Add your green beans( I used a large handful , cut into small chunks) and stir fry for few seconds then add a splash of water and mix well, before adding some finely chopped coriander leaves to taste( I used about a 1/4 of one of those supermarket bunches). Stir in and make sure the spices aren't sticking- I kept scraping the bottom of the pan. I added a good squirt of fresh lemon juice as I like that and the recipe suggested a sprinkle of garam masala which I didn't use as I don;t like the brand I had in cupboard much( too much cinnamon).
It made two portions if you are eating it as part of meal and one generous one if not. Might be worth a try?

Reactions: 7 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea: Bacon, tomatoes and a 30g chunk of smoked cheddar, slice of bread and strawberry yoghurt

Treat . Small pack Cadbury buttons

Total of 30g carb for the day , BG in the 5's despite feeling "fluey " all day.

Update to earlier post....pre tea 5.9 post tea 8.3..for my sins

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B 2 egg omelette
L 2 burgers with bacon, mushrooms Stilton wrapped in iceberg with blob of tomato sauce, fat bomb ( these really are lush, thx to the person who posted recipe, sorry forgot name )
D chicken salad, yoghurt & strawberries

@AV. Not sure if coincidence but my fbg has been consistently high recently, usually in range of 9.1 - 10.7 I have been on the milk thistle for 3 days only and this morning fbg was 8.3 I know not much to some but for me to finally see an 8 was very exciting, in my mind it was coincidence, but here's hoping that thistle is working, will hope for same tomorrow :)
That is very interesting. From the anecdotes I have read, the effects on fbg can be fairly quick. Cholesterol benefits (if any) take a few months. Mine hasn't been delivered yet. Will let you know how I get on. Rooting for you for a good result tomorrow :D

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Avocado Sevenfold tried out a new curry tonight which was nice and vegetarian- green beans and paneer- really simple to make.
The recipe suggested cooking beans with onions after the initial browning stage but I like mine with more bite so steamed them.

Fry one medium chopped onion in a tbsp oil till starting to soften and go brown. Add one very finely chopped green chilli( i may only add a half next time as quite hot!) and cook till softened and onions golden brown. Then add 1 heaped tbsp of garlic and ginger paste( I tend to use jars of ginger so mixed that with a squirt of garlic paste I also had lying about) and cook for a minute or so, then add 2tsp chilli powder and 1 tsp turmeric and stir to coat onions. Cook for couple of minutes to lose the raw flavour, then add a large handful of chopped fresh tomato and stir in well. Add half a block of diced paneer and stir fry to coat in the spices for a few minutes. Add your green beans( I used a large handful , cut into small chunks) and stir fry for few seconds then add a splash of water and mix well, before adding some finely chopped coriander leaves to taste( I used about a 1/4 of one of those supermarket bunches). Stir in and make sure the spices aren't sticking- I kept scraping the bottom of the pan. I added a good squirt of fresh lemon juice as I like that and the recipe suggested a sprinkle of garam masala which I didn't use as I don;t like the brand I had in cupboard much( too much cinnamon).
It made two portions if you are eating it as part of meal and one generous one if not. Might be worth a try?

That sounds delicious! Thanks Ethyl, will give it a go :hungry: A trick I learned recently is that when using shop bought paneer, is to cut it into cubes and soak it in water for half an hour before using. Plumps it up as the shop bought cheese is all squished into the packet. (Maybe everyone knows this, but it was news to me lol)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds delicious! Thanks Ethyl, will give it a go :hungry: A trick I learned recently is that when using shop bought paneer, is to cut it into cubes and soak it in water for half an hour before using. Plumps it up as the shop bought cheese is all squished into the packet. (Maybe everyone knows this, but it was news to me lol)

sounds like a good plan as yes it can be a bit dry. The last saag paneer I had out used grated paneer and mozzarella which was actually quite nice for a change.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Breakfast: cheese omelette (used a sprinkle of smoked paprika in lieu of ketchup)
Lunch: cheddar, almonds, creamy decaf
Dinner: cauli rice, veg and cashews fried in coconut oil, peanut butter, ginger and chilli.
Snack: chocolate almond cupcake

Last edited:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: cheese omelette (used a sprinkle of smoked paprika in lieu of ketchup)
Lunch: cheddar, almonds, creamy decaf
Dinner: cauli rice, veg and cashews fried in coconut oil, peanut butter, ginger and chilli.
Snack: chocolate almond cupcake

15o9cgo.jpg

Looks lovely - as does the retro pyrex.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - 9bar as I was on the hop
L - chicken breast with small salad covered in olive oil and a little Mayo
D - beef meatballs with mushroom, celery and pasta sauce and peppers with cauliflower and brocoli

S - handful of nuts

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
B: Coffee and double cream
L: Pan-fried chicken breast in lemon sauce with spinach and a small portion of mash. After half a bottle of chianti... my better judgement wavered and I ordered a panna cotta with cinnamon and honey.
D: Eggs, bacon and mushrooms. Bulletproof coffee

pannacotta.jpg

BaconEggs.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.