Stopped Insulin

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2 and was put on insulin so I notified DVLA and got my licence changed to a three year entitlement.

However, I've had a change of lifestyle, lost five stone and come off all medication including insulin. I've been getting good blood results and my last HbA1c was 5.7 :)

My question is: Can I apply to DVLA to have my licence re-instated to it's full entitlement now that I'm not using insulin?

I would appreciate if anyone that has experience like this would reply.

I have written to DVLA Medical department three weeks ago but haven't had a reply yet.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
DVLA are exceptionally slow. Did you actually fill in a medical form or write a letter? Letters are likely to be ignored....

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply.

I wrote a letter as I didn't know which, if any, form I could fill in.

I initially emailed them but they replied saying they wouldn't discuss medial information by email.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
They are contactable by phone providing you have lots of patience!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I renewed my licence earlier this year and the DVLA were very slow to respond, I would do as Donnellysdogs suggest and ring the DVLA up, I had to do this as I'd not heard back for a few weeks and was quite concerned, as it happens they were carrying out some checks but the chap on the phone was very helpful.

Good luck and hope you get word back soon.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As I understand it, you will have to fill in a fresh application/declaration to say not on insulin now, also the dvla will write to your GP and or consultant for confirmation that you are not on insulin.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks CarbsRok :)

Yeah I was looking at the form DIAB1 and I might be able to use that.

I will ring them and ask.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I received a letter today asking me to send my plastic and counterpart back to DVLA.

Seems there going to re-issue valid till my 70th birthday :)

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I received a letter today asking me to send my plastic and counterpart back to DVLA.

Seems there going to re-issue valid till my 70th birthday :)
Fantastic news for you Jim, very pleased to hear it.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm type 2 and was put on insulin so I notified DVLA and got my licence changed to a three year entitlement.

However, I've had a change of lifestyle, lost five stone and come off all medication including insulin. I've been getting good blood results and my last HbA1c was 5.7 :)

My question is: Can I apply to DVLA to have my licence re-instated to it's full entitlement now that I'm not using insulin?

I would appreciate if anyone that has experience like this would reply.

I have written to DVLA Medical department three weeks ago but haven't had a reply yet.

Very very impressive results with your change in lifestyle, congratulations !!!

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Pasha, I did it by the Newcastle diet and moderate exercise. Now I'm keeping an eye on my calories and carbs.:)

Thanks CarbsRok, I won't celebrate till I get my licence back :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
scottish jim -- i would call that a real result -- well done !!

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woohoo - got my licence back today - re-validated to my 70th birthday.

Managing my blood sugars well with a low carb diet. No more insulin and no medication :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Managing my blood sugars well with a low carb diet. No more insulin and no medication :)

Extremely well done Scottish-Jim. There's been a fair bit of traffic on the site of late about the ND, and I'm sure your success story would be very uplifting for those on the diet now.

What sort of readings are your bloods running at now, and what sort of carb level have you set yourself for your maintenance phase?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Super cool news is this jim :cool:
Bet you are thrilled :D and congratulations on your 70th birthday too .
When is this ?

Well Done :)

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks AndBreathe :)

I only test before breakfast and before dinner. I'm getting high 4's and low 5's in the mornings and high 4's before dinner.

I try to keep carbs as low as possible - carb intake varies but probably not higher than 60g a day (I think)

My relationship with food has completely changed now - it's all about restricting carbs

Jim

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks anna29

Yes I am very pleased.

I wasn't happy about the three year licence and wasn't enjoying being on insulin so I did something about it.

Sacrificed my relationship with food but pleased to be off all medication.

70 in 2032 :)

Reactions: 4 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

However, I've had a change of lifestyle, lost five stone and come off all medication including insulin. I've been getting good blood results and my last HbA1c was 5.7

Hi Jim I went through the same thing as you some years ago now after losing a similar amount of weight and weaning myself off insulin and now have an ordinary licence back. Id have answered you sooner but apparently missed this thread.

Congratulations on your weight loss your diabetic control and your new full uninhibited driving licence :) Its a great feeling isnt it?