High sugar levels AGAIN feeling upset :(

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Ill have a massive glass of water and sugar free cordial. I need to do this!

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
good day today @lcarter -- pleased with your efforts and your results
onwards and downwards tomorrow !!

Reactions: 3 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Only just scanned the last 5 pages (morning here in OZ) of updates but brother, the people here are just fantastic !!!

Reactions: 5 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
good day today @lcarter -- pleased with your efforts and your results
onwards and downwards tomorrow !!
Thankyou. Couldn't have done it without you all. Off to bed now..last reading 12.1 then I will check through the night and then update tomorrow.

Eternally grateful to you all.

L

iHs

Hope that as bg is on 12mmol, when you get up in morning, it wont be as high as what it has been. If it has risen, then its the sign that the basal needs to increase as that provides the background to last you overnight wuth no bolus.

Tomorrow, get yrself some sugarfree jelly, some sticks of celery, some thin bacon rashers, a bag of kale, some eggs and some mushrooms. Fried celery cooked with 2 thin bacon rashers, makes a filling but very low carb meal that wont affect bg that much. Fried kale made into a 2 egg omelette is nice and filling as well. Mushrooms are low carb. Cauliflower is good substitute for potatoe and is good with gravy along with sprouts, broccoli etc.

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ok @lcarter will catch up with you in the morning
be well :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You have been great with your guidance and support. Applause :)
thank you for your kind words @Mike D - i love this forum since i discovered it by accident just over a month ago and giving something back appeals to me. there but for the grace of god and all that.................
there are loads of amazing people on here

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@himtoo The words fall far short of what you (and others on this board) deserve. Just brilliant reading for me when i woke up and going thru all those updates and witness the completely selfless time and effort put in to support another :)

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Morning all! Levels pre bed were 13.3 then at 2am were 12.9 and now waking at 15.7.....

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@himtoo The words fall far short of what you (and others on this board) deserve. Just brilliant reading for me when i woke up and going thru all those updates and witness the completely selfless time and effort put in to support another :)
:embarrassed:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Morning all! Levels pre bed were 13.3 then at 2am were 12.9 and now waking at 15.7.....
slight improvement over yesterday -- hope you got some sleep though

ok -- plan for today -- more of the same
my thoughts would be to do your correction dose so at 15.7 a correction for me would be 5 today and then bolus at 2.5 units per 10CHO as it is the early part of the day and you are wide awake and hopefully refreshed and ready to kick some a** on these high BG's

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Your basal insulin is out slightly as your bg levels had increased by 3.6mmol overnight, ideally if the basal dose is set correctly it should not fluctuate by more than 1.6mmol, ideally 1.0mmol.

When you have your bolus dose and correction this morning leave some time before you eat, say 15-20 mins as this will give the insulin time to work before your food digests.

Without causing too much confusion have a read of the following, its a good explanation about reducing postprandial spikes by injecting ahaed of your food:

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...blood-glucose-management/strike-the-spike-ii/

Good luck tomorrow.

Reactions: 9 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Your basal insulin is out slightly as your bg levels had increased by 3.6mmol overnight, ideally if the basal dose is set correctly it should not fluctuate by more than 1.6mmol, ideally 1.0mmol.

When you have your bolus dose and correction this morning leave some time before you eat, say 15-20 mins as this will give the insulin time to work before your food digests.

Without causing too much confusion have a read of the following, its a good explanation about reducing postprandial spikes by injecting ahaed of your food:

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...blood-glucose-management/strike-the-spike-ii/

Good luck tomorrow.
Thank you.

I literally increased my basal two nights ago.. I may see the benefit tomorrow.

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Good luck tomorrow.
it is a great article on the subject.

i agree with you on the basal but as @lcarter only upped it by 9% from 22 to 24 2 days ago she should ideally test a 3rd day before making another adjustment.
the improvement we have seen since friday is encouraging

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you.

I literally increased my basal two nights ago.. I may see the benefit tomorrow.

Hopefully so, but believe me, once you get the basal dose right everything else will fall into place, it can never be said enough how important it is to get the basal dose right, if you don't you just end up chasing your tail all the time.

When you speak with your team tomorrow ask about the new basal insulin called Tresiba, there's a few members on the forum who now use this insulin and the feedback so far is good, it's said to last up to 48 hours but is still injected once a day.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When you have your bolus dose and correction this morning leave some time before you eat, say 15-20 mins as this will give the insulin time to work before your food digests. Good luck tomorrow.

that is another great tip @noblehead .
i usually inject my bolus about 15 minutes before i eat.