LCHF really struggling - help!

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Hi there

I hope someone can help me with my mystery!
I am currently on a low carb diet and have been since the beginning of January. Apart from a couple of "cheat" days, I have stuck to it religiously - but have lost a grand total of 1kg.... in a month. Below is a typical day for me in terms of BG reading, insulin and food - what am I doing wrong?!

4 units Levemir on waking up
BG before breakfast: 6.3
Breakfast: two boiled eggs, black coffee (4 units Novorapid)
BG one hour after breakfast: 5.6

BG before lunch: 6.1
Lunch: smoked salmon, prawns, boiled egg, leaf salad (no dressing), sparkling water (4 units Novorapid)
BG one hour after lunch: 5.3

BG before dinner: 3.8
Dinner: baked cod, salad (leaf salad, tomato, avocado, mozzarella, low-carb French dressing), sparkling water (4 units Novorapid)
BG one hour after dinner: 6.9

BH before bed: 6.1
6 units Levemir

I also go to the gym for one hour twice a week - I train with a personal trainer so I work hard, mainly lifting weights. Oh, and I'm female, 32.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A 1kg weight loss in a month is fine, better to lose weight slowly as your less likely to put it back on.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As modesty007 says, you may have too little fat in your diet. Butter? A generous helping of olive oil on your salad? I scramble my breakfast eggs in bacon fat or any available fat, sometimes even finish it off with a knob of butter on top. And cheese of course.

I don't think I ever bought a salad dressing. They are so easy to make at home and you can vary them infinitely.

If you are working out you'll build muscles and they are heavy. Much better to use a measure and see what actually happens.

Reactions: 3 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
What is your BMI? How much weight are you aiming to lose? Two hours of lifting weights a week should not have a noticeable impact on your weight.

From what you are eating, it seems you are not only low carbing, but also low in protein and fat intake and calories.

I would definitely increase the fat and protein intake. Add some full fat dairy and more beef. pork, and poultry.

It's counter intuitive, but a low calorie diet is not the best for losing weight. The body tends to lower the metabolic rate to conserve energy and weight loss slows down.

As modesty007 said, check out the diet doctor. He explains this much better than I can.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited by a moderator:

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Thank you everyone for your helpful responses, I will try to eat more, and easy more fat!

For those who have asked, my BMI is 25, so borderline overweight. Trying to lose 8kg. My ratio is 1:8 and my basal is fine as I have tested and retested periodically.