Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and don't suppose anybody has any ideas on what my daughter can dress up as a detective for World Book Day? I am searching the internet for female ones but having trouble.
Only ones I can think of are like the scooby doo kids, or miss marple or a tv detective like Juliet bravo...it's a toughie :)

Reactions: 2 people

scottie1

Muggle, do you need to see a doctor regarding how down you feel. It may help, even if it's just to talk it through with someone. I did and have felt much better though I still have dark days and things can affect me more than they should. Please don't be offended.

scottie1

Only ones I can think of are like the scooby doo kids, or miss marple or a tv detective like Juliet bravo...it's a toughie :)

I have tried Scooby Doo, but the girl costumes are way too expensive for one day (£30 plus) and she won't go as Scooby Doo, haha. It's wrong you know, schools having these ideas about dressing up. I don't mind when it's something normal but detectives, how silly and how parents with little money go on I just don't know. She also has a Comic Relief day but luckily, only has to find something funny to put on her feet.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Muggle, do you need to see a doctor regarding how down you feel. It may help, even if it's just to talk it through with someone. I did and have felt much better though I still have dark days and things can affect me more than they should. Please don't be offended.
Don't worry im not offended :) I have been on and off antidepressants since I was struck with post natal depression when I had my first son 17 years ago. About 6 months ago I went back to my doctor about my low mood and I was given a few web addresses and a number to call for talking therapy. I had one call where they determined i was moderately depressed and said Id get a call once a week. Im still waiting. It washes over me like a black cloud and nothing shifts it, it come and it goes as it pleases. But, given my living situation it's hardly surprising. And today has been particularly nasty. I don't know, I seem to cope ever so well for so long then it builds and builds til something tips me over the coping limit and the floodgate opens. I break down then I just have to pick myself up again because I have no other choice

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Bg went down to 12.1 last night, but is 17.4 on waking this morning. Didn't eat at all yesterday, I know that's not good so won't be doing it again today.

Sending you lots of hugs Muggle, I know I'm very lucky.
Hi scottie that was good figure for bs's ::)) , but something to think about ,as diabetics we need regular meals of similar portions at regular times," normal" people can get away with eating as and when but our frail systems need tlc, it it important to be regular .
The morning figure was probably what we call a liver dump,as we awaken our livers give out a dose of stored glycogen some posters try a spoon of peanut butter as they go to bed ,to keep the liver from dumping in the morning.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried Scooby Doo, but the girl costumes are way too expensive for one day (£30 plus) and she won't go as Scooby Doo, haha. It's wrong you know, schools having these ideas about dressing up. I don't mind when it's something normal but detectives, how silly and how parents with little money go on I just don't know. She also has a Comic Relief day but luckily, only has to find something funny to put on her feet.
Yes I know what you mean. Sure it's fun, but as you say it is also expensive. I remember one year my son told me he had to dress up as a knight the DAY BEFORE! I sat up all night knitting with grey wool on giant needles to make a chain mail effect top and tied an old white with Red Cross flag with string as a cape. I used to scout charity shops for things I could modify and then throw out after the occasion

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Don't worry im not offended :) I have been on and off antidepressants since I was struck with post natal depression when I had my first son 17 years ago. About 6 months ago I went back to my doctor about my low mood and I was given a few web addresses and a number to call for talking therapy. I had one call where they determined i was moderately depressed and said Id get a call once a week. Im still waiting. It washes over me like a black cloud and nothing shifts it, it come and it goes as it pleases. But, given my living situation it's hardly surprising. And today has been particularly nasty. I don't know, I seem to cope ever so well for so long then it builds and builds til something tips me over the coping limit and the floodgate opens. I break down then I just have to pick myself up again because I have no other choice
Muggle sad to hear your having a bad time of it, its difficult enough coping with diabetes have you tried " sad therapy " sitting in front of special lamp to get sufficient melatonin, i have heard good things about this form of treatment,maybe something to consider.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Muggle sad to hear your having a bad time of it, its difficult enough coping with diabetes have you tried " sad therapy " sitting in front of special lamp to get sufficient melatonin, i have heard good things about this form of treatment,maybe something to consider.
Thanks Clivethedrive, it's worth looking into :)

Reactions: 3 people

scottie1

I really think you need to go back to the GP's as you can't live like this. I had PND after my son was born and like you have been on anti d's on and off since, more on than off. And have finally got to a sort-of-ok state, though some days are just awful. I'm not going to pry into your living conditions, but is there anyone who can help you in any way? I noticed you posted before that you are sleeping on the sofa, you really shouldn't have to and somethng needs to be done. Will the council not help? Can you contact somebody about this? We need to do some research to find out what help can be offered you. I saw a CPN in the Summer for 3 months, and it was really helpful, maybe this is something you can discuss with your GP, a CPN can help in many ways. You shouldn't have to deal with things alone. This is affecting your health. Is there anything I can do? I have to go now to bath my daughter but will be back soon. xx

Reactions: 5 people

scottie1

Hi scottie that was good figure for bs's ::)) , but something to think about ,as diabetics we need regular meals of similar portions at regular times," normal" people can get away with eating as and when but our frail systems need tlc, it it important to be regular .
The morning figure was probably what we call a liver dump,as we awaken our livers give out a dose of stored glycogen some posters try a spoon of peanut butter as they go to bed ,to keep the liver from dumping in the morning.

Hello Clive, how are you today? Not too sore I hope. And hopefully pain free.

i'm not even eating three meals a day, just lunch and dinner, so maybe eating smaller amounts more often will help. Thank you.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello Clive, how are you today? Not too sore I hope. And hopefully pain free.

i'm not even eating three meals a day, just lunch and dinner, so maybe eating smaller amounts more often will help. Thank you.
Hi scottie,i'm still sore but its feeling better,Thankyou . I think it's good for us to eat breakfast :)

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
with LCHF, although there is no carb or calorie counting as such..try not to over do the protein, as that can turn to glucose, stop weight loss and keep your BG high. the equivalent of 3 tins of sardines in volume [60g protein]of meat /fish a day is more than enough and you will get some more from other stuff too

Reactions: 4 people

scottie1

Thanks Jack, I will look into my protein results on My Fitness Pal and see what they have been so far.

I am counting my carbs and calories though, 1200 calories and 50g carbs. Are you saying I shouldn't do this, as am finding it really helpful. It also states protein value is 150g. Am really confused now.

EDT: Am having between 50-80g protein a day.

Last edited by a moderator:

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Aww Muggle, I am so sorry you are having a really bad day and that you feel so down. I think, and please don't be cross, that you do need to eat, even if it's something small as you will be ill if you don't. I am not telling you off, just concerned about you. Children are sent to try us, aren't they? No matter how old they get. Please don't cry, and don't ever wish you wouldn't have to wake up (I do know the feeling though, have felt like that before). You are not alone anymore, you have us. You need to rest, you shouldn't be exhausted so don't do anything that isn't needed. Is somebody with you? Do you have any of the children at home with you now? Can you ask one of them for a cuddle? Wish I could cuddle you, you sound like you need it! xx

((((Hugs))))

That's nice of you Scottie.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jack, I will look into my protein results on My Fitness Pal and see what they have been so far.

I am counting my carbs and calories though, 1200 calories and 50g carbs. Are you saying I shouldn't do this, as am finding it really helpful. It also states protein value is 150g. Am really confused now.

EDT: Am having between 50-80g protein a day.

Carbs, cals and protein counting, I'm very impressed. Me, I'm just trying to be good.
Have cut out all bread, root veg and rice, and thinking that must be an improvement.
Wish I had started testing before I had stopped eating those things, then I would know if I was improving