Not a daffodil in sight.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
While we wait for the daffodil to bloom in the days ahead.
Some facts about the daffodil to give us all a thrill.
But if of course you know it all, you'll get no thrill at all. :)

Groan Groan Groan. lol

The daffodil is also known as Jonquil, Narcissus, Paperwhite and the ‘Poet’s Hower’.
Narcissus is a classical Greek name in honour of a beautiful youth who became so entranced with his own reflection that he pined away and the gods turned him into this flower.
Squirrels will not eat daffodil bulbs, the bulbs and leaves contain poisonous crystals which only certain insects can eat with impunity, so don’t plant where dogs like to dig. (American Daffodil Society)

Poultry keepers thought the flower to be unlucky and disallowed it in their homes, as they believed it would stop their hens from laying eggs. (Funflowerfacts.com)

Scientists have discovered narciclasine, a natural compound found in daffodil bulbs, may be therapeutic in treating brain cancer.

Daffodils contain a toxic sap which is harmful to other flowers. When arranging in a vase don’t mix with other flowers unless the daffodils have been soaking in water for 24 hours. Do not re-cut the stems as it will re-release the toxin. (Funflowerfacts.com)

The ancient Romans cultivated them extensively, though daffodils became a forgotten flower till 1600. Sometime around 1629, a few Englishmen took the daffodil out of the weeds and gave it a place in the garden. (Onlinegardeningtips.com)

The daffodil is the flower for March. (Gonetopot.com #7-12)

The Romans, believed the sap from these flowers had special healing powers.

The Daffodil Data Bank accounts for over 13,000 hybrids, and apart from the regular yellow kind, there are others which come in a range of colour combinations, like yellow and orange, yellow and white, orange and white, lime-green and pink colours.

In the Victorian days, Daffodils represented chivalry. Today is represents hope.)

Their botanic name is narcissus, daffodils are sometimes called jonquils, and in England, because of their long association with Lent, they’re known as the “Lent Lily.”( Teleflora #14-18)

In Wales, it’s said if you spot the first daffodil of the season, your next 12 months will be filled with wealth.

Chinese legend has it that if a daffodil bulb is forced to bloom during the New Year, it will bring good luck to your home.

The Daffodil is the 10th wedding anniversary flower

A gift of daffodils is said to ensure happiness.

Always remember to present daffodils in a bunch – the same legends that associate this cheerful flower with good fortune warn us that when given as a single bloom, a daffodil can foretell misfortune.

willie :)

Reactions: 10 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much but I'm an English man lining in Wales.
I'm a Welshman living in England and it's been a very nice St David's Day, thank you
upload_2015-3-1_18-59-6.jpeg

First daffs from the allotment, Jan 27. All the yellow ones finished now and waiting
for the later white narcissi with orange trumpets

Jan%2027%208%20copy_zpsvbobmfeg.jpg

z%20Feb%204%202%20copy_zpsgkkcuinj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I've heard quite a bit about that Norman ....

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lived in West Wales for nearly 20 yrs.

My garden was always 2-3 weeks later than my parent's garden in the SE of England.

Ah, I loved Wales. Never felt particularly welcomed by the Welsh speakers, but I still miss my friends, the green, the hills, the wind, the bloody roads, and my lovely, lovely, lovely house.

C

chris lowe

We normally have a carpet of daffs on the approach to the village. There are lots of leaves poking up but not flowers yet. The ones in my garden seemed to disappear last year, probably rotted away and the snowdrops I planted - no sign. A gardening friend said they've probably been feeding the local mice. There's a hellebore trying to flower and the perriwinkles have been flowering since before Christmas.

countrymouse

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
We won't see any flowers anytime soon here (Canada) can't find the garden yet covered in snow still!

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils.............

In Tesco's entrance this morning. :arghh: :joyful:

willie. :)

Reactions: 11 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The daffs have sprung and so have I ... my three day ban has ended.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Reactions: 4 people
C

chris lowe

Out in the garden for a few hours this afternoon and the grape hyacinths (muscari?) are poking through and also a lone hyacinth is popping it's flower up. Might go to the garden cenre tomorrow and get a few plants to pop in the bare spaces and brighten things up :)

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No daffodils here yet, so I will enjoy your grape hyacinths in my imagination.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The daffs have sprung and so have I ... my three day ban has ended.
Well the daffs have sprung but nothing like they should have.
North Wales is normally carpeted with them along the roadsides in gardens on roundabouts but a very poor showing this year.