Fatigue

FlyingPonyMonster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Been diagnosed since last May
I'm on Metformin 1g twice a day
Honestly I often forget my tablets and I know my diabetes isn't well controlled

Really struggling again with chronic fatigue - what can I do?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum, you've ocme to the right place to get you motivated ;)
Could you tell us a bit more, what type of diabetes do you have, do you test your BG and what are the numbers, and what sort of foods do you eat?

Reactions: 2 people

FlyingPonyMonster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I'm type 2, aged 30, female
The doctors diabeyes nurse doesn't like to give out blood sugar monitors, don't know why

I've really just been diagnosed, put on metformin, expressly told how serious it is and I could lose a foot or die, given a brief overview of foods and left to it

My sugars were checked after about 3 months on metformin (diagnosed last May) and it was 70mmol? But they didn't tell me then and apparently this means my diabetes still isn't controlled and I only just found out - having another fasting test tomorrow

- I eat anything really - try to avoid sugar and cakes etc - eat wholemeal bread etc

I don't drink any alcohol and only drink sugar free squash/Pepsi

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @FlyingPonyMonster , welcome :)

It looks like you are yet another newly diagnosed T2 who has been left to drift without a paddle by the good (!) ship NHS. It really is a scandal and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Anyway, don't panic, you're in the right place now. That 70 mmol number will be your HbA1c - not great but by no means calamitous (just higher than mine was) and it is possible to manage you back to good levels where you minimise the risk of any complications and ever-increasing meds, so don't panic. Your fatigue is likely to be a reaction to high blood sugars - it's the (only) symptom I had before diagnosis. The first thing is ignore any dietary advice given you by the NHS - it's ****. The key to blood sugar control is low carbing, and many many T2s on here do this very well. This means avoiding all starchy carbs like bread, potatoes, pasta and rice (including 'wholemeal' ones) as well as obvious sugars. You should also get yourself a test meter (e.g. SD Codefree) to check what impacts various foods have on you.

Have a read of the first item linked in my sig below, and I recommend you get the Trudi Deakin book also linked.

Good luck and ask any more questions.

Reactions: 6 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've tagged @daisy1 so she can post the very helpful info for new members (I hope it works, first time I've tried tagging!).
In the meantime have a look in the Low Carb forum, especially this thread as the NHS advice on diet isn't usually the best and it's not just sugar and caked that raises blood glucose, wholemeal bread, pasta, rice etc can be as bad as white, and some veg are not the best either.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/
It might seem a lot to take in at first, but you soon get used to it, just read the forums, and the books in my signature are very helpful and are recommended by many on this forum, and ask as many questions as you need.
And you'll need to buy a meter to find out which foods you can/can't eat - there is one that most here recommend becasue the testing strips are cheaper, but I don't know the details so will leave that for someone else to tell you

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingPonyMonster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thank you!

Yes Id read the low carb guide and it just feels like I can't really eat anything!! (except perhaps chicken and salad)

I work long hours so lunch inspiration is the hardest

Feeling very lost and miserable right now

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I joined here yesterday Flyingponymonster, and the members here have been wonderful. I was tired much worse than before
i was diagnosed and i realise now that my diet from the docs "high carbs" were making me feel so ill, that i
actually thought it was the Metformin that was making me feel like ****.
Today has been a new start and a new diet. Low carb/ high fat, and (whether it's all in my head) i feel great no tiredness no dizzy spells and no on-set hypo.
Hugs to you FPM and i really hope you feel better soon xx

Reactions: 5 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you!

Yes Id read the low carb guide and it just feels like I can't really eat anything!! (except perhaps chicken and salad)

Yes it can seem very daunting to start with, but there really is a lot you can eat, these 2 threads will give you an idea http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.36803/
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-recipes.4871/

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Been diagnosed since last May
I'm on Metformin 1g twice a day
Honestly I often forget my tablets and I know my diabetes isn't well controlled

Really struggling again with chronic fatigue - what can I do?
If your fatigue is due to high blood sugars then you need to lower them. If high blood sugars aren't the problem then you need to talk to your GP to find out why you are tired.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Thank you!

There are other threads around on lunches, what I do is have a selection from any of the following: houmous, cheese, olives, salami, tomatoes, avocado/guacamole, mackerel or salmon pate, salad leaves, nuts. It is daunting at first when you realise you can't default to sandwiches, bowls of pasta etc but once you've embraced it you will feel a whole lot better believe me.

Try not to get to downhearted, we'll support you through this as we were once supported ourselves.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you!

Just wanted to point out the bit from teh Low Carb for beginners thread in case you missed it ;)

"So you can eat/drink:

Meat, fish, eggs, butter, cheese, plain Greek yoghurt and cream

Vegetarian protein such as tofu and TVP

Above-ground green vegetables, tomatoes, avocados, nuts as a good snack

Berry fruits in moderation (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries)

Occasional small amounts of dark chocolate (85% cocoa or more)

Tea, coffee (try with cream instead of milk)

Plenty of water"

That's ALL types of meat, fish, poultry. If you buy sausages get the 97% meat ones as others have lots of fillers and more carbs.
The main vegetables to avoid are potatoes, parsnips, sweetcorn and peas, that leaves a lot of veg that you can eat, and celeriac can be used as a potato substitute, cooked in all the same ways you cook pots.
The books in my signature give lots of ideas.

C

catherinecherub

Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Firstly let me say that we are all confused to begin with and we feel that there is so much to learn. It will become clearer the more that you read.

Have you got a meter and test strips as without this vital tool you will never know which foods to cut back on and which you need to cut from your diet.

The meter will also help you to see how many carbohydrates you can safely include in a meal. As we all have an individual response to foods, you need to keep a food diary and also be aware that other things can affect our blood sugars. Stress, lack of or too much exercise, hydration, other medical conditions.....the list is endless.
You could eat a meal one day, have good results and yet when you duplicate it a few days later you may find a different result. There is no blueprint for a successful outcome, it is all down to trial and error. There are various amounts of carbohydrates that people here can safely eat ranging from 10g up to 150g and various amounts in between.

A diagnosis in itself will knock your confidence and it may be that you are still coping with acceptance. Have a read through this article to see if it helps. There is no time limit to when acceptance happens.

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/the-five-stages-of-grief.html

Ask as many questions as you need to and be assured that someone will always answer, no matter how trivial it seems to you. We all know how you are feeling.

K

Kat100

Fatigue and tiredness are often linked to diabetes ..and a lot suffer ..what ever there levels or readings ...

So many diets to choose from have a think about what you need to do and try something that suits you best ..

The information from Daisy is a great start ...to get you going

And the information above from Catherine is very valuable ...

Meanwhile ...welcome ..kat

Reactions: 3 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@FlyingPonyMonster

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. As you can see, ask questions and you will get lots of helpful answers.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 3 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi & welcome.
Your in the right place now where good advice is radially available to help again control of the condition. Just look around the forum learn & ask if you are unsure of anything

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome FPM, some great advice in the posts above, can be a bit overwhelming at first, take your time ask questions and absorb, it really is the key to getting back on track, energised and feeling optimistic about the future.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome.Stick with the forum and you will soon feel a lot better.