Newcastle Diet results so far

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had the best call ever today my DN has decided to take me off my medication all together as by BG are low will be going for a set of blood tests and an ultrasound in 3 months time to see the changes that have occurred over the last 2 months. Not suggesting I'm cured but on that long road to remission I hope so fingers crossed :)
Fantastic news. I go for a liver scan at the end of the month and I then intend to start the ND even though I am underweight. No point doing the diet before I have the liver scan. It is really inspiring to hear of the success stories, hope I will have one of my own in May!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So after completing the Newcastle Diet to a tee the last 2 days of normal food has been the best. Have gone straight into it and ate some hefty carbs 130 grams + with a little exercise and my BG levels have remained in the normal or below range I am so pleased I'm thinking that this diet has really worked or working for me. Been taking readings an hour after and 2 hours after eating and still within normal range I really do believe there is something to this diet. More people have the motivation to do it so do it it could no will help you to save your lives :)
Flashtash, I think it would be useful if you actually posted the figures your return(ed) after your car fest, and any other readings after indulging. The word "normal" is so open to interpretation, and I'm sure you would like to be as clear as possible for those reading.

Sounds like a real result for you. What are your ongoing testing plans for the near/medium term future?

Reactions: 2 people

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Flashtash, I think it would be useful if you actually posted the figures your return(ed) after your car fest, and any other readings after indulging. The word "normal" is so open to interpretation, and I'm sure you would like to be as clear as possible for those reading.

Sounds like a real result for you. What are your ongoing testing plans for the near/medium term future?
Andbreathe results so far give or take a few grams I have eaten approx 130 grams of carbs a day for the last 3 days consisting of porridge for breakfast, mid morning snacks of a chocolate bar various seeds and nuts for lunch 8 slices of Kargs cheese and pumpkin seed crackers with 100 grams of crunchy peanut butter. The last 3 nights I have eaten a large portion of rice and a potato curry so BG levels

Monday before breakfast 5.3 2 hours after 5.4 lunch 5.6 after 5.8 evening 6.2 after 6.4

Tuesday 6.0 after 5.7 lunch 6.9 after 6.3 evening 5.7 after 6.5

Today 6.1 after 6.0 lunch 5.2 after 6.6 evening 5.1 yet to test my after reading.

Tomorrow I will cut back on the carbs dramatically to half I just wanted 3 days hard carbing don't want to overdo it so soon

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Fantastic news. I go for a liver scan at the end of the month and I then intend to start the ND even though I am underweight. No point doing the diet before I have the liver scan. It is really inspiring to hear of the success stories, hope I will have one of my own in May!
Thanks Arab horse I thinks it's well worth giving it a go I was never really overweight but the call was to great to try it and am glad I have done long term plan I will do a 28 day version every year for the rest of my life just to keep on top of things

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Hi, I am happy to read about your bloods not changing after the few days of eating "normally".

Could you be more specific about your +1 hour, +2hours and +3hours? BG readings?

I am interested in seeing the changes that happened between before going on the diet and after completing "reversal". If you have any data that you could share with me that would be great.
I have posted some figures further down I have been taken off my meds for the last 3 weeks now from my DN on her advice I planned on doing 3 days straight hard carbing I will have further tests mid April but at present all seems to be heading in the right direction

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have posted some figures further down I have been taken off my meds for the last 3 weeks now from my DN on her advice I planned on doing 3 days straight hard carbing I will have further tests mid April but at present all seems to be heading in the right direction
Cool, thanks a lot. If you had figures of the "before" diet time that would be great. I'm just interested in the improvement on first insulin response. Thanks a lot for replying :) and well done you!

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Cool, thanks a lot. If you had figures of the "before" diet time that would be great. I'm just interested in the improvement on first insulin response. Thanks a lot for replying :) and well done you!
Thanks before the diet on meds my BG levels were before meals averaging between 8-12 after anywhere upto 12 depending on what I had to eat. Once I get all my data together and do my figures will post a full report

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks before the diet on meds my BG levels were before meals averaging between 8-12 after anywhere upto 12 depending on what I had to eat. Once I get all my data together and do my figures will post a full report

Awesome, that would be absolutely amazing. Thanks a lot.

I'm interested in seeing the changes in first insulin response, in particular in relation to wheat (in any form and cooked in any way). If you have details of meals before that you could contrast compare against current situation that would be great. I'm sorry to bother you but I am genuinly interested in seeing which aspects get actually sorted and which (if any) remains afterwards.

Also, do you have any diabetic people in your family? (sibling, parents or grand parents?) Details about how long have you been diabetic and all sorts of details will be highly appreciated.

Many, many thanks.

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, if you don't mind me asking. What is your ideal BMI? and how far you are from it now?

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Also, if you don't mind me asking. What is your ideal BMI? and how far you are from it now?
My BMI started at 28.8 got down to 20.6 so well within the healthy range both my parent were diabetic passed away now but been diabetic for as long as I could remember I only got diagnosed last October so am a newbie

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Awesome, that would be absolutely amazing. Thanks a lot.

I'm interested in seeing the changes in first insulin response, in particular in relation to wheat (in any form and cooked in any way). If you have details of meals before that you could contrast compare against current situation that would be great. I'm sorry to bother you but I am genuinly interested in seeing which aspects get actually sorted and which (if any) remains afterwards.

Also, do you have any diabetic people in your family? (sibling, parents or grand parents?) Details about how long have you been diabetic and all sorts of details will be highly appreciated.

Many, many thanks.
I was quite lucky wheat, rice and pasta new really spiked my BG levels too badly but when I did get diagnosed I BG levels started in the low 20s but within a matter of weeks this shot down to the low 7s

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BMI started at 28.8 got down to 20.6 so well within the healthy range both my parent were diabetic passed away now but been diabetic for as long as I could remember I only got diagnosed last October so am a newbie
Oh this is really cool info:).

Now I am more interested in your first insulin response, I am hoping to see change on wheat.

Please stay in the forum, don't just go away happily, you could be of so much help to other people :)

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Oh this is really cool info:).

Now I am more interested in your first insulin response, I am hoping to see change on wheat.

Please stay in the forum, don't just go away happily, you could be of so much help to other people :)
I will do thank you and all the best for you I really hope you do seriously think hard about the Newcastle diet it's hard but well worth the effort

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was quite lucky wheat, rice and pasta new really spiked my BG levels too badly but when I did get diagnosed I BG levels started in the low 20s but within a matter of weeks this shot down to the low 7s
Ok, I see. I don't seem to peak to some things. But wheat spikes me. I brought down my BG's in 2 weeks as well from 24.6 to 5's and then stedaly to the 4's. I am stable there at all times, except for coffee with milk and sugar, and wheat food (had a pizza and peaked to 13.8... but I was back into the 5's after 3 hours).
I only took gliclazide about week and half. Currently I just take metformin. But I am very overweight and far away from my ideal BMI.

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Ok, I see. I don't seem to peak to some things. But wheat spikes me. I brought down my BG's in 2 weeks as well from 24.6 to 5's and then stedaly to the 4's. I am stable there at all times, except for coffee with milk and sugar, and wheat food (had a pizza and peaked to 13.8... but I was back into the 5's after 3 hours).
I only took gliclazide about week and half. Currently I just take metformin. But I am very overweight and far away from my ideal BMI.
I was on 2 gliclazide a day too one in the morning then one in the evening midway through the diet as my BG was quite low a lot of the time low 2s my gliclazide was reduced to once a day now 4 weeks later on no meds at all

Reactions: 3 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on 2 gliclazide a day too one in the morning then one in the evening midway through the diet as my BG was quite low a lot of the time low 2s my gliclazide was reduced to once a day now 4 weeks later on no meds at all
When I was on gliclazide my morning BG's weren't as low as my during the day. I stoped it on my first visit to the nurse. I've been on metformin for many years on and off. Inmediatly after stopping gliclazide my morning levels droped and had remained stable there for weeks, until I had an infection and flu last week which raised bgs back to 5's. I've lost a stone and still moving down. But I want to see if in a person that gets this good levels on a very low calorie diet the first insulin response (which is what looks bad right now in me) gets better. If it gets better I can see benefits for me. Otherwise Im not so sure as Im already in normal non diabetic range quite comfortably. Therefore so many questions about detail. Thank you very much for your kind replies.

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
When I was on gliclazide my morning BG's weren't as low as my during the day. I stoped it on my first visit to the nurse. I've been on metformin for many years on and off. Inmediatly after stopping gliclazide my morning levels droped and had remained stable there for weeks, until I had an infection and flu last week which raised bgs back to 5's. I've lost a stone and still moving down. But I want to see if in a person that gets this good levels on a very low calorie diet the first insulin response (which is what looks bad right now in me) gets better. If it gets better I can see benefits for me. Otherwise Im not so sure as Im already in normal non diabetic range quite comfortably. Therefore so many questions about detail. Thank you very much for your kind replies.
Your welcome :)

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
So a week on and my BG levels have remained stable if not lower on a couple of occasions sub 4s and introduced a high level of cardio work now running 4.5 miles in the mornings. I have on the last couple of days tested myself with increasing my carbs as I am running now to burn this off porridge in the mornings with lots of different types of nuts and seeds. 4-5 wholemeal Kargs crackers for lunch with blue cheese so yummy with a small bar of chocolate. Then in the evening have moved on from slim pasta or noddles which are ace onto normal white basmati rice and introducing potatoes too and my BG levels rarely climb above 5.5. I still won't make the move onto bread yet don't feel comfortable doing this. I have also introduced 2 additional small meals to curb my hunger due to the calorie burn from running. So still a week on and things are working as they should (long may this continue) this beats winning the lottery any day. My attitude to food has completely changed I now read food labels make different choices better choices I think. As for the long term I am still planning on doing the Newcastle Diet every year for the rest of my life for a shorter 4 week plan just as a service to my body. I am in the process of gathering all my data and to send this off to Professor Taylor and his team as I'm sure they would be interested in another success story and to thank him for his research and that if I never came across his research I would continue to take meds for the rest of my life and to drain the NHS of precious resources with long term health deteriorating.

So end note to this it can be done by anyone and I would encourage anyone to have a go 8 weeks is a small price to pay for a fuller and more enriched life it feels like I have rediscovered myself and been reborn........

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Flashtash2014, thanks for all the info; it has made me even more determined to do the diet after my liver scan on the 23rd even if it comes back as a non fatty liver (can they tell that from a liver scan or will it just tell me if I have cirrhosis or a tumour, both very unlikely I hope?) as I have nothing to lose except some weight. I will stop if I go much below 6 stone but being thin already 800 calories a day isn't such a drop as I need a lot less calories than someone who is overweight just to keep ticking over.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So a week on and my BG levels have remained stable if not lower on a couple of occasions sub 4s and introduced a high level of cardio work now running 4.5 miles in the mornings. I have on the last couple of days tested myself with increasing my carbs as I am running now to burn this off porridge in the mornings with lots of different types of nuts and seeds. 4-5 wholemeal Kargs crackers for lunch with blue cheese so yummy with a small bar of chocolate. Then in the evening have moved on from slim pasta or noddles which are ace onto normal white basmati rice and introducing potatoes too and my BG levels rarely climb above 5.5. I still won't make the move onto bread yet don't feel comfortable doing this. I have also introduced 2 additional small meals to curb my hunger due to the calorie burn from running. So still a week on and things are working as they should (long may this continue) this beats winning the lottery any day. My attitude to food has completely changed I now read food labels make different choices better choices I think. As for the long term I am still planning on doing the Newcastle Diet every year for the rest of my life for a shorter 4 week plan just as a service to my body. I am in the process of gathering all my data and to send this off to Professor Taylor and his team as I'm sure they would be interested in another success story and to thank him for his research and that if I never came across his research I would continue to take meds for the rest of my life and to drain the NHS of precious resources with long term health deteriorating.

So end note to this it can be done by anyone and I would encourage anyone to have a go 8 weeks is a small price to pay for a fuller and more enriched life it feels like I have rediscovered myself and been reborn........

What has happened with your weight since reverting to "proper" food? I would probably expect a modest increase due to the increased food in your system, and maybe fluid retention whilst the increased carbs (holding fluid) go through your system? Again, not a challenge, just I think Prof Taylor suggests weight may rise very slightly, initially, due to these factors?

I may have mis-remembered that last bit of course. Call it age........ (If you dare ;))