SWEETENERS

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Still sticking with 2 sugars in a coffee dosnt seem right any other way, I did buy some canderel but I think my mind knew it wasn't sugar and I pyschologicly didn't like it if that's possible I only have I coffee every 1-2 days so I'm not that concerned and I do bolus for it

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll throw Xylatol into the mix. Made from Birch Sap so natural usually sold in a granulated form under them name of total sweet

Reactions: 4 people

petergalileo

Sweetners are bloody awful, all of them. I pretty much gave up and just used sugar until I found xylitol, buy it online, quite expensive but in tea and coffee I cant tell the difference between xylitol and normal sugar and I have a really sweet tooth and am fussy as heck.

Reactions: 4 people

able2cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello can anyone recommend a Sweetner for use in a coffee, before type 1 I use to love a coffee and I still like the very occasional cup but I substitute it for food to have two spoonfuls of normal sugar, there must be something else, I can't stand the little tablet sweetners they make it disgusting?
You should try Stevia - they do a granulated form and it tastes just like sugar to me

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should try Stevia - they do a granulated form and it tastes just like sugar to me

I rarely drink tea but I love coffee

Not that instant freeze dried rubbish, but proper coffee

After a few days, I found my palette changed and I'm perfectly ok with no sugar or sweeteners

Trivia : Coffee can be sweetened with salt instead of sugar ....... try it if you don't believe me :)

Reactions: 2 people

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
Fruisana granulated is good. It is Fruit sugar so natural and better for you.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just enjoying a freshly pressed Vanilla Coffee - black, no sweeteners, no milk

Tastes 100% better than the coffee I got from McDonalds this morning. Found it interesting whilst queuing that a large white coffe (400ml) is 40 kcal, but a large black coffee is only 8 kcal ....... guess milk really does make a difference but surprised its so much (and they don't use a lot either !)

I was a good boy - I had black :)

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sweetners are bloody awful, all of them. I pretty much gave up and just used sugar until I found xylitol, buy it online, quite expensive but in tea and coffee I cant tell the difference between xylitol and normal sugar and I have a really sweet tooth and am fussy as heck.

Cheers will try xylitol, I use stevia in coffee fine, but have tried all of them in tea and they all tasted awful, I used to drink very sweet tea and really miss it :(

clareb1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Mean people, cruelty to vulnerable people and animals. Ignorance of what the human race is doing to our planet. Arrogance and selfishness.
Hello can anyone recommend a Sweetner for use in a coffee, before type 1 I use to love a coffee and I still like the very occasional cup but I substitute it for food to have two spoonfuls of normal sugar, there must be something else, I can't stand the little tablet sweetners they make it disgusting?

Hi, I understand how much nicer proper sugar tastes in coffee! The sweetener I normally use is Canderell (tablets not the sprinkled stuff). These don't leave a false aftertaste. If this still doesn't agree with you then perhaps consider having a cappucino instead of a normal coffee. I find that I don't need sugar in cappucino - no doubt down to the slightly sweet milk content. I find the same effect if I ever use Coffee-Mate in place of milk.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I understand how much nicer proper sugar tastes in coffee! The sweetener I normally use is Canderell (tablets not the sprinkled stuff). These don't leave a false aftertaste. If this still doesn't agree with you then perhaps consider having a cappucino instead of a normal coffee. I find that I don't need sugar in cappucino - no doubt down to the slightly sweet milk content. I find the same effect if I ever use Coffee-Mate in place of milk.

Wish I could have a cappucino Clare ........ I'm on Newcastle Diet ...... no milk allowed :(

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think artificial sweeteners are a very personal thing; you'll need to try a variety of different ones to find something you like. Personally, I'm switching more and more to stevia, and I've found that brand makes a huge difference in taste. Another thing that sometimes helps is mixing more than one artificial sweetener; it sometimes gives a better flavor and sweetening profile than using just one type. Just keep the amounts small as too much of most artificial sweeteners can be very bitter in most cases. (FWIW, I prefer Stevita brand stevia powder, but I'm in the US and don't know if you guys have that in the UK.)

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As its a lifestyle change for me I just made it simple - I gave up on sugar & gave up on sweeteners.

I only use Stevia if I'm making cinnamon oopsies & the like, an then only 1/3 teaspoon per batch

Anyway, you don't need sweeteners in good coffee ........ or proper tea for that matter :)

Erin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched from sweetex to Truvia. I wanted to remove aspartame from my diet and many of the sweeteners contain this. I love the taste and a little sprinkled on my weetabix it is lovely... It has the same texture as sugar.

aspartame is the reason I won't drink diet drinks and I found it hard to find a sweetener without it. I now have though and can enjoy my coffee without worrying about my diabetes or any aspartame-related issues :)

annharwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I use TRUVIA, it is expensive but you only need a tiny amount. I use it on cereals.

pinkydink

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and only recently diagnosed.

I feel your pain with those artificial sweeteners! Even Stevia, which is a natural sweetener tastes foul in my book! Terribly bitter after taste. I have discovered another 100% natural sweetener, which to me tastes like the real thing, PLUS it has a GI of 7, as opposed to 100 for sugar! What a find! It's called Xylitol (pronounced Zyl-it-ol). I know it sounds like a chemical name, but it IS completely natural. It is found naturally in fruits like strawberries, raspberries and plums, and trees such as birch. Xylitol is also produced in our own bodies! (and it also helps reduce tooth decay.... no, it won't make your tea for you in the morning...lol) If you want to check it out, read more about it, the website is www.naturallysweet.com.au. You can even order online, that's how I get mine - 2kg at a time!

I was using Coconut sugar, which is also completely natural, and not really sugar sugar. It also has a low GI for us diabetics. I still use that if I ever have a coffee (about once or twice a week, if I'm lucky). I'm mostly a tea drinker, and I found the coconut sugar didn't taste quite right in my cuppa, as it has a flavour similar to brown sugar. Fine for coffee, not so much for tea. The website for the coconut sugar is www.thecoconutshop.com.au, where I also purchase online.

It's worth investigating both, (start with smaller packs of course, until you know whether you like them or not) and also would be worth checking if you have a supplier of both of these in the uk, to save on postage.

Why the soft drink companies don't start using either of these, instead of their chemical equivalents, is beyond me.That stuff''ll kill ya!

Good luck with it all. ;)

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
It is a natural sugar but has a very low GI so doesn't spike your levels like refined sugar.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wouldn't that be pure Fructose? Too much of that, although natural, isn't supposed to be good for us either
Our bodies do not metabolise Fructose very well,and too much fructose is toxic and can lead to liver damage.i add a link that you may wish to read

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/895.full
I cannot vouch for this report, but there are others on the net that state similar effects

Reactions: 6 people