I can eat bread again! *EDIT No I can't!*

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To get thread back on track ;)
I had the same 1 slice toasted burgen and 3 scrambled eggs, BG was 6 before I started and 1.5 hours later ad gone up to 8.
2.5 hours later, up to 9.3. Burgen is definitely out for me :(
Going for a nap now, will test when I wake up but hopeully it'll be on the way down by then!

Reactions: 2 people

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear your plight with Burgen.

Hope you find something to satisfy your craving for bread :)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. i just woke up and BG is 9, so it could well have gone up a bit more. Toast seems such a simple thing to want doesn't it?
When I think back I used to have porridge or 2 slices of toast every day for breakfast, and often a sandwich for lunch, no wonder my levels were so high! (Not to mention the pasta or rice most nights for dinner, and if it wasn't that it was spuds of some sort!)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be that the Burgen affects you whereas the Nimble doesn't which means you may have to stick to the Nimble. I can eat 2 slices of Hovis Seed Senations or Tesco's seeded bread which equates to 30g carbs with little affect but a Warburton or Tesco's thin at 20g carb will raise my BS quite significantly. Such is the nature of the diabetes beast I guess!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could be that the Burgen affects you whereas the Nimble doesn't which means you may have to stick to the Nimble. I can eat 2 slices of Hovis Seed Senations or Tesco's seeded bread which equates to 30g carbs with little affect but a Warburton or Tesco's thin at 20g carb will raise my BS quite significantly. Such is the nature of the diabetes beast I guess!

You sound as odd as me! Doesn't make any sense does it? :wacky:

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Hi @rowan , I also found Burgen too carby. When I was first diagnosed I found it very hard to give up my 2 rounds of toast in the morning. So I embarked on a new regime of 2 slices of burgen toast with butter and peanut butter. At first, I thought i was o.k with this but gradually my resistance decreased and I noticed I was rising to 8 or higher over the course of the morning ( I only noticed this because I was feeling rough mid morning and so tested). I began to feel less and less in control of my blood sugar. Over time, to combat this I have gone lower and lower carb and now follow the protocol of no more than 5g of net starchy/sweet carbs per meal and that seems to keep me on an even keel. Unfortunately Burgen doesn't fall into this bracket (unless you have a quarter of a slice!). I would say bread is the number one thing I miss most now being low carb. I miss my two rounds of toast in a morning and I miss being able to have a regular sandwich. I just miss bread/toast mainly.

But, there are ways around it, as we have discussed. Some breads just have too many carbs, others are lower or you just have to eat less of them. You can make your own too. My top alternatives are Livlife or HiLo low carb bread, Hovis nimble (half slice only) and making my own flax or almond loaf (I'm way too lazy for that though!). As was said earlier in the thread we can't eat too many crabs in one meal, but the odd crab here and there will not do you any harm! :hilarious: Sorry, I just can't let that one go!:)

Edited to add agree with @Daphne917 , the seeded breads are definitely better but what effects one person may not effect another!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's unfortunate that Waitrose and Sainsbury are the supermarkets furthest away from me, and Waitrose doesn't have the Livlife in stock often, so I'll be going to a Sainsbury in 2 weeks when i have a hospital appointment in Plymouth, not far from a Sainsbury.

In the meantime I can have 2 dark rye ryvita with no effect, and as long as there's plenty of something nice on top I'm enjoying that for lunch most days, egg or prawn mayo being current favourites :)

The ryvita has 13.4g carbs, 2g more carbs than the burgen, but no effect? That doesn't make sense either :wacky:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's unfortunate that Waitrose and Sainsbury are the supermarkets furthest away from me, and Waitrose doesn't have the Livlife in stock often, so I'll be going to a Sainsbury in 2 weeks when i have a hospital appointment in Plymouth, not far from a Sainsbury.

In the meantime I can have 2 dark rye ryvita with no effect, and as long as there's plenty of something nice on top I'm enjoying that for lunch most days, egg or prawn mayo being current favourites :)

The ryvita has 13.4g carbs, 2g more carbs than the burgen, but no effect? That doesn't make sense either :wacky:
That's the problem with diabetes - one size does not fit all! At least we have the advantage of being av]ble to test to see what is right for us and it may be a surprise as I found out last week when i had lasagne for the first time since low carbing and finding that it has little affect on my BS - I'll try it again and if I have a similar result put it down as another one of my 'can haves' :)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's the problem with diabetes - one size does not fit all! At least we have the advantage of being av]ble to test to see what is right for us and it may be a surprise as I found out last week when i had lasagne for the first time since low carbing and finding that it has little affect on my BS - I'll try it again and if I have a similar result put it down as another one of my 'can haves' :)

Wow, lasagne, I'd love that! I've had pasta once since low carbing, a macaroni cheese I already had in the freezer and my BG went sky high. I put it down to the pasta but I can't remember if the sauce was home made or bought, so it might be worth trying pasta again ;)

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Also, don't forget that the fibre content effects how the carbs are processed. I suspect ryvita are very high in fibre? Just a thought......

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Daphne, I haven't tried pasta for ages, but when I last did, I found my bloods just crept up a bit, but they stayed there for hours, and my next morning fasting was also slightly elevated. Pasta has a well known long-acting impact.

It's never been a favourite of mine, but we were with friends, in an Italian, doing an all you can eat buffet, which was the easiest option.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wow, lasagne, I'd love that! I've had pasta once since low carbing, a macaroni cheese I already had in the freezer and my BG went sky high. I put it down to the pasta but I can't remember if the sauce was home made or bought, so it might be worth trying pasta again ;)

The Hairy Bikers did a lasagne and instead of using pasta they used dried sliced leeks, my wife made it and have to say it was good......although admittedly not as nice as using pasta sheets.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also, don't forget that the fibre content effects how the carbs are processed. I suspect ryvita are very high in fibre? Just a thought......

Ryvita 30g fibre for 2 pieces, and the burgen bread 4.1g fibre for one slice, and the nimble 3g fibre for 2 slices.
Does that mean the more fibre something has the less effect the carbs has?

Although that still doesn't explain why the burgen has such a huge spike when the nimble wasn't too bad. Or why so many people on here tell others to stop the ryvita?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Daphne, I haven't tried pasta for ages, but when I last did, I found my bloods just crept up a bit, but they stayed there for hours, and my next morning fasting was also slightly elevated. Pasta has a well known long-acting impact.

It's never been a favourite of mine, but we were with friends, in an Italian, doing an all you can eat buffet, which was the easiest option.
I tested after 1, 2 and 3 hours and my 3 hour reading was lower than the 2 hr so I assumed it was on the way down again. Have to be honest I miss eating pasta as I used to have it cold in a salad or as a quick lunch and I made a mean spag bol - with sauce that was made from scratch as opposed to out of a jar!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ryvita 30g fibre for 2 pieces, and the burgen bread 4.1g fibre for one slice, and the nimble 3g fibre for 2 slices.
Does that mean the more fibre something has the less effect the carbs has?

Although that still doesn't explain why the burgen has such a huge spike when the nimble wasn't too bad. Or why so many people on here tell others to stop the ryvita?

That 30g fibre is a mistake on tesco website, it's 15.2 g per 100g, and says 15g per portion, but I'd guess it should read 1.5g instead ;)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Curiouser and curiouser! An hour ago my BG was 6.4, I had a bacon sandwich using a tesco wholemeal sandwich thin which has15.5g carbs, and now Im 5.3!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Curiouser and curiouser! An hour ago my BG was 6.4, I had a bacon sandwich using a tesco wholemeal sandwich thin which has15.5g carbs, and now Im 5.3!

With your digestive system issues, i,can only imagine it may not be as straightforward as for the rest of us. Do you perchance have slow transit, or a particularly fast digestion? You may also have a particularly acute sensitivity to certain grains.

Just my 2p, trying to be as logical as I can be, based on what I recall of your circumstances.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With your digestive system issues, i,can only imagine it may not be as straightforward as for the rest of us. Do you perchance have slow transit, or a particularly fast digestion? You may also have a particularly acute sensitivity to certain grains.

Just my 2p, trying to be as logical as I can be, based on what I recall of your circumstances.

2 hours later I'm back to 6.4!
I don't think anything about me is ever stragihtforward, but my BG does usually go up at least a bit after eating carbs, and quite a lot after bread, so this is weird!
I'll just have to have another bacon sarnie tomorrow to check ;)
I think becasue of having no colon my digestion is a bit quicker than most peoples, but most food is digested in the small intestine so I didn't think it would make that much difference, the colon takes back water from foods so that's really the main difference.

I thought I had an acute sensitivity to wheat, but these experiments don't confirm that at all. I thought it could be the seeds, as in burgen, but I have very low carb seed bars that don't affect me at all, so it's not that. http://www.natural-low-carb-store.co.uk/collections/snacks/products/50-bars-free-delivery
They are availaable in smaller quantities but they're cheaper in bulk.