I can eat bread again! *EDIT No I can't!*

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you need to test at the same time after a meal, I think you are comparing different times more than carb

why are you eating any carbs when your BG is 10?

Because I'd already cooked the scrambled egg on toast and tested just as I was about to start. And it was at a time when my higher morning levels normally drop down to normal so I thought I'd be ok. I don't usually have carbs for breakfast, but I was late eating and it was nearly lunchtime.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because I'd already cooked the scrambled egg on toast and tested just as I was about to start. And it was at a time when my higher morning levels normally drop down to normal so I thought I'd be ok. I don't usually have carbs for breakfast, but I was late eating and it was nearly lunchtime.
Hey I know where you are coming from, I was there too..and still am some days :(
:) the devil made me do it :) I tried to scrape the egg off the toast, but it was too stuck on. ..it was only 10 BG..just one won't hurt

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But that doesn't explain why 16g carb bread raises me by 3, but next day 11g carb bread raises me by 6? I'd naturally assumed that because the carbs were lower it wouldn't spike me at all.

C

catherinecherub

What can make my blood glucose rise?
  • Too much food (e.g. a meal or snack with more carbohydrates than usual)
  • Not being active
  • Not enough insulin or oral diabetes medications
  • Side effects from other medications (for example, steroids, anti-psychotic meds)
  • Illness (your body releases hormones to fight the illness, and those hormones raise blood glucose levels)
  • Stress (stress can produce hormones that raise blood glucose levels)
  • Short- or long-term pain (injury, such as sunburn) (your body releases hormones that raise glucose levels)
  • Menstrual periods (which causes changes in hormone levels)
  • Dehydration
- See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with...cting-blood-glucose.html#sthash.D7gUx56i.dpuf

Sometimes you get a rogue reading with no rhyme or reason behind it.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really don't understand this! The other day 2 slices of nimble (16g carbs) and 3 scrambled eggs saw a rise from 5.5 to 8.3 in three hours.
Today I started at 10.1 (liver dump) had 1 slice Burgen (11g carbs), 3 scrambled eggs, and 1.5 hours later I was 16.5, highest I've been for weeks, after ONE SLICE Burgen?? :eek:
Both times I took 2 metformin and 2 gliclazide, and had a green tea to drink.

Doesn't make any sense.
you tested at 3 hrs one day and 1.5hrs the next...you need to test at the same tine to have a comparison

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you tested at 3 hrs one day and 1.5hrs the next...you need to test at the same tine to have a comparison

The first day I tested at 1, 2 and 3.5 hours. The second day I tested at 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 so covered the same time span.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
rowan, I think that's one of the hardest aspects of restrictive diets, the loss of textures. I miss crunchy.

My husband sometimes treats me with zuchinni (courgette) sliced into 3 - 4 inch lengths with a mandoline slicer, patted dry, lightly coated with a paper towel and olive oil, seasoned, then put in the dehydrator for 5 hours or more until crispy. So good...

As for celiac, most people don't have it, only 1 in 133. However, Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) is increasingly becoming more common. 6 in 100 is a conservative estimate.

I think the reason doctors ignore NCGS is because there's no test they can order for it. In the U.S., this condition is more typically self-diagnosed by eliminating gluten from the diet to see if symptoms lessen over a period of weeks or months, or with guidance and testing through a naturopath.

If at some point, you'd like to explore how gluten affects you, try going completely gluten free for for a period of time, which would mean eliminating wheat, rye, barley, and probably oats and soy too (due to cross contamination during harvest or storage).

If eating processed foods, just look for the gluten-free labeling. Hidden sources of gluten are oats, soy, beer, soy sauce, and many balsamic vinegars.

If you're gluten sensitive only, you might be able to enjoy gluten free bread, typically made with rice flour. Here in the U.S., Udi's and Glutino are good brands. These items often are found in gluten free frozen section of stores, but that's in the U.S., I don't know about the U.K. Gluten free breads vary greatly in taste, texture, and shelf life. If you give gluten free bread a try, I'd ask here which to try first. They also are more expensive.

This information is for your information only. I didn't take this possibility seriously until I saw a naturopath for diabetes. She suspected NCGS when she saw my medical history - (I also have a hypothyroid condition in addition to the diabetes and a pre-ulcerative colitis condition). Though doing lab work, she found that I was severely deficient in B-12, D, and iron. To confirm my suspected diagnosis of NCGS, I then had testing done with a lab here in the U.S. - ( https://www.enterolab.com/default.aspx ) - which confirmed I had NCGS.

For those of us who have multiple, chronic health conditions, it's challenging and likely best to make only one change at a time. Getting your blood glucose controlled is likely the best focus for you right now. When you're ready to try making another change, looking into the possibility of NCGS could be helpful.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indy51, thanks for that link. I read the interview after dinner tonight - (I live on the west coast of the U.S.). Interesting that we might have a drug for the majority of those who have celiac in just a few years.

Interestingly, every time I go off the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, I have symptoms. So for now at least, I can't have any grains, and that includes rice. I was shocked as to the extent of the cross contamination problem. Hopefully that situation will begin to improve now that the U.S. has developed such high standard for what can and cannot be labeled gluten-free. One thing this article really reinforced for me is benefit of eliminating all grains from my diet. But as long as I can still use nut flours, I'll be able to enjoy an occasional treat. :)

Indy51, what did you come away from the interview with?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indy51, thanks for that link. I read the interview after dinner tonight - (I live on the west coast of the U.S.). Interesting that we might have a drug for the majority of those who have celiac in just a few years.

Interestingly, every time I go off the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, I have symptoms. So for now at least, I can't have any grains, and that includes rice. I was shocked as to the extent of the cross contamination problem. Hopefully that situation will begin to improve now that the U.S. has developed such high standard for what can and cannot be labeled gluten-free. One thing this article really reinforced for me is benefit of eliminating all grains from my diet. But as long as I can still use nut flours, I'll be able to enjoy an occasional treat. :)

All the talk of people hanging out waiting for these drugs absolutely blew my mind. Fair enough if you're coeliac and/or have NCGS and you need the first drug to help you ameliorate the effects of cross-contamination, but where the interviewer was talking about people waiting for the drugs just so they can eat gluten again left me gobsmacked. Especially people wanting a drug (and I assume there is a demand otherwise drug companies wouldn't be investing heavily in research) to modify (if not destroy) their immune system to ignore gluten! Amazing that anyone would go to such lengths over a food ***! And yet people sneer at Dr William Davis for saying wheat is addictive o_O

Gawd only knows what the implications of unchecked gluten coursing through the bodies of people with their immune systems essentially switched off would be.

I can't imagine ever going back to eating grains, except for the occasional rice. I was recently 'glutened' and paid for it big time for the next couple of days - all my joints were aching (especially my hips) and I could barely straighten myself upright. No food is worth that kind of reaction.

One of the natural health sayings that resonates with me is that if you say to yourself "I couldn't possibly give up {such-and-such food}" then you can pretty much assume you have a problem with that food. Rings true to me!

I'm only annoyed with myself for taking so long to realise I had a problem - I wouldn't go back to the way I felt 3 years ago for all the tea in China (and I'm a tea addict) :p

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indy51, I'm thinking it's the people who become violently ill when unintentionally exposed to gluten, (e.g. when eating away from home), that will benefit most from the drug, though I, like you, am wary. I like to see drugs proven over time, say 30 - 50 years...

I'm lucky that I don't get ill when I'm exposed to gluten, maybe a headache for a few days, but that's it. What I like most about not eating sugar and grains these last nine weeks is that I no longer feel driven by carbohydrates to eat...all...the...time. I feel so much calmer now. I think Dr. William Davis and others may be right about wheat being addictive due to it's opioid effect. Mark Sisson posted about it in 2012... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-wheat-addictive/#axzz3XM26q35b

Have your read Dr. Davis's ebook that he provides when you become a member of Cureality.com ? I think it draws heavily on the material from his first book, Track Your Plaque (2004), but he continues to update it. The last update was 2014. I've learned so much this past week by reading the diet section. He introduced me to AGE's - (Advanced Glycation End-products) - which I was unfamiliar. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Indy51, watched the interview this morning. Did you request the free e-book from his website?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Indy51, watched the interview this morning. Did you request the free e-book from his website?
Not yet. I've got so much reading that I never seem to catch up on already. I'm much better listening to interviews these days.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

bean and pea flour should be ok too shouldn't it? I use a lot of chick pea and fava bean

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
bean and pea flour should be ok too shouldn't it? I use a lot of chick pea and fava bean
Depends on the facility that produces the flour - even instant coffee has been found to be contaminated with gluten :eek:

I find it surprising that there aren't labels like the ones for tree nuts etc. on any flour produced in the same factories as gluten containing ones, I guess because it's not an anaphylaxis issue?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jack412, that's good to know. I don't think I was aware of chick pea and fava bean flours. How do you use it? It would be nice to have additional options. :)

Indy51, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with a backlog of reading materials. :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jack412, thanks for the links, particularly the flour chart. I know what I'll be dreaming about tonight. Those recipes in the last link all look so good! :hungry:

Reactions: 2 people