Weight issue : what's the best way to loose weight for diabetic type 1?

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been a diabetic type 1 since 2010 I used to be 48kg and now I'm 59kg I am finding it very hard to loose weight because my hb1ca has been bad and I have been advised to strictly take my insulin regularly, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to loose weight fast and maintain it Aldo what type of foods to eat and how much insulin a day I should take? Please help

Jody_1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been a diabetic type 1 since 2010 I used to be 48kg and now I'm 59kg I am finding it very hard to loose weight because my hb1ca has been bad and I have been advised to strictly take my insulin regularly, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to loose weight fast and maintain it Aldo what type of foods to eat and how much insulin a day I should take? Please help

Giving less insulin means weight loss. Insulin is the fat storing hormone which causes weight gain. If you take less insulin by eating less carbs you will lose weight. If your carb intake is high you will require more insulin and gain weight so the only way is to cut down carbs.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can check your BMI with this calculator to see if you're in the range:

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

Losing weight too fast is never a good idea, so it's best to concentrate on a slow but steady loss if you do need to lose weight.

Do you count carbs? Are you confident in adjusting your insulin doses to suit your carb intake for each meal?

The best thing to do is eat normally and moderately as you would if you werent diabetic then fit your insulin to your carb intake rather than eating carbs to counteract your insulin.

**If you're not confident adjusting your diet or doses do Not do this without the help,of a DSN or dietician.