hypo after eating. Type1

spammy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, my husband was recently diagnosed type 1 and is struggling a lot. He seems to be doing everything right but he keeps having hypos after eating. Any ideas why??

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
He's on 4mg 3 times a day and then 12 before bed

Looking at your previous post I see that your husband is on a basal/bolus insulin regime.

If they have told him to inject 4 units with each meal and he is going hypo afterwards get him to reduce it to 3 and see if this stops the hypo's, if it doesn't then he may need to reduce his basal insulin (the 12 unit dose) as this could be too high of a dose, either way he needs to get in touch with his diabetes team first thing tomorrow morning and ask for their advice on reducing his insulin doses to prevent the hypo's.

spammy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking at your previous post I see that your husband is on a basal/bolus insulin regime.

If they have told him to inject 4 units with each meal and he is going hypo afterwards get him to reduce it to 3 and see if this stops the hypo's, if it doesn't then he may need to reduce his basal insulin (the 12 unit dose) as this could be too high of a dose, either way he needs to get in touch with his diabetes team first thing tomorrow morning and ask for their advice on reducing his insulin doses to prevent the hypo's.
He doesn't have a diabetic team, the nurse just rings him once a week, she's due to ring tomorrow. He doesn't feel he should reduce iit without consent from someone

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
He doesn't have a diabetic team, the nurse just rings him once a week, she's due to ring tomorrow. He doesn't feel he should reduce iit without consent from someone
It's his diabetes not anyone else's. Basically in plain English he is over dosing on insulin so needs to cut it back.
He is going through what is known as the honeymoon period which means his pancreas is coughing and spluttering before it finally gives up the ghost.

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Spammy, he cant wait for consent from someone, if we all did that we would be in trouble. Could you start counting carb and see how much he is having per meal? is it after every meal or just some? have you been given guidance on what to eat?

Start by dropping a unit of insulin, its what the nurse is going to tell you anyway.

spammy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Spammy, he cant wait for consent from someone, if we all did that we would be in trouble. Could you start counting carb and see how much he is having per meal? is it after every meal or just some? have you been given guidance on what to eat?

Start by dropping a unit of insulin, its what the nurse is going to tell you anyway.
No we haven't had any info on diet, we are due to see the dietician tomorrow. We feel like we've been thrown in the deep end with not much help

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
One of the things you also need to do is get your GP to fill in and sign a medical exemption form for free prescriptions.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No we haven't had any info on diet, we are due to see the dietician tomorrow. We feel like we've been thrown in the deep end with not much help

Ok your going to want to start looking at the basics. Try and work out how much carbs are in a serving of something. I dont have any links to good sites as its always come naturally to me (i think its how i learned math lol) anyone help with links? @CarbsRok @donnellysdogs @noblehead @tim2000s @Spiker

spammy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the things you also need to do is get your GP to fill in and sign a medical exemption form for free prescriptions.
We live in Wales so we are lucky we get free prescriptions, but thank you for the thought

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately diabetes is a very tricky condition and your husband will have to learn how to manage it. There are do many factors that affect sugar levels that being on a fix dose will never work. You need to learn how to manage this balancing act between insulin and carbohydrates/activity/stress/illness. If your husband experiences hypo after a meal it simply means he takes too much insulin. Try to reduce a bit a see how it works.you also need to learn how to count carbohydrates. Fitness pal is a good start or with some foods check on packets. Some people find useful carbs&cals book. I got it from my hospital. Ask if they could you provide with one but I think there is online app too

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Diabetes Type 1 on a basal/ bolus or pump regime is an odd one for people to get their heads around - WE make the decisions on what doses we take on a daily basis , not a HCP . The reason for this is foremost we are the ones who decide what we are going to eat, and the bolus needs to be matched to its carb content .

So, if your husband eats a full dinner , but injects 4 units for it, without knowing the carb content and matching it with insulin, it could be too little insulin, or too much . If for tea he decides he's not that hungry, and has, say, an apple and a piece of cheese, then injects 4units, that would be way too much, and he would hypo.

Matching the two is a skill to be learned, with the aim of keeping blood glucose within targets, so it is neither too high or two low .

A good recourse to look at is the one below, click on the links on the page to An introduction to carb counting, and the others such as the workbook :

http://www.diabeteseducationscotland.org.uk/Patient/Type1_Level1.aspx

And don't worry too, much, it's early days yet, and a steep learning curve, but you and he will get there in the end :)

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

spammy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your help, very much appreciated. We're going to do some reading today. Hope you all have a nice day ☺

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for all your help, very much appreciated. We're going to do some reading today. Hope you all have a nice day ☺
Make sure you don't overload yourself on info as this will become very daunting for you both.
There are two books which are highly recommended called using insulin and think like a pancreas. These can be found on Amazon.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

A diabetes team is those involved in his care, this could mean a hospital DSN & Consultant, GP & DN including a Podiatrist who checks his feet, if the nurse is ringing in the morning get your husband to ask if he can come in and see them in person, when he does make sure that he takes along his bg diary and bg meter.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If hubby going low 2-3 hours after a bolus then it will be the bolus being too high.

Basal resting is recommended to check to see if your hubby's levels stay within 5-8's without eating. If he does then it may mean that the timing of the bolus's need to be amended.

Your hubby is far better off under a hospital diabetic team than a GP clinic.

My GP in Wales thought that 1 test a day for a type 1 was fine!!! The fantastic team at Prince Phillip gave me a pump.
A huge difference in the care.

Reactions: 4 people