Vitamin B12 levels

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone had a high vitamin b12 level ? If so what were you told about it ?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told it's irrelevant! I had a huge level and my doctor didn't even comment on it until I brought it up. I did stop taking the tablets, though, on the grounds that I clearly didn't need them.

Reactions: 2 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My doctor was certain that mine was going to be low and turned out my levels are really high. I found it interesting and he also wasn't concerned. The dietician said it could indicate kidney problems.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ten years ago I had exceptionally low B12 and folate.. and was told I had pernicious anaemia and started on injections for 3 years until I moved to Wales and the GP stopped them.
I felt **** and paid privately to an anaethetist to give me an infusion of b12 and vitamins and minerals.
Then moved back to Midlands and decided to stop infusions because if I had PA then I shouldn't have to pay!!
So I took B12 tablets. I decided to stop them too as thinking I was again wasting my money if my levels were low then NHS jabs should be given.
Anyway, 6 months after my last B12 tablet and my reading was totally off the scale... And my consultant told my GPs to do an abdomen scan as the GPs had filed my B12 as normal....
Since then in the last 6 months it has dropped from 1596 to 450 (middle range) so I am now waiting to see if it drops low again.
My gallbladder has a small thing in it but under the size of 5mm and my liver showed up slightly fatty...kidneys and spleen fine.
My consultant is the only person who actually looks at my results. My GPs are ****.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
OMG yes!! What's really bizarre is that I don't eat meat so should be a classic target for low B12 -- but mine has consistently hovered around the low 1,000 mark for years!

I do take a multi vit with a B-complex in and have spoken to various nutritionists about whether I should stop taking it -- but they say that because B-vits are water soluble then it shouldn't be holding in my bloods like that.... Which I also don't entirely get....

.... Doctors / GP's don't seem fussed but I find it curious.... Online info *suggests* it may be due to not absorbing B12 properly (meaning you could actually have low B12) due to "methylation issues".... but don't ask me what that means because every time I try to read more about it, or indeed what to do, my head gets completely pickled....

Would love to know if anyone else knows anything more about this....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm sure B12 did "hold" in my body for some reason. No way am I convinced that excess is flushed out....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I'm not sure if they routinely test for this, as far as I'm aware they may do for those who take the drug Metformin as this is said to cause a vitamin B12 deficiency in some people.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am sorry , I do not know how to reply to all on here . Hopefully, all can see :) . I also had the same anemia problem, that started while my hormones started going through that amazing "peri menopause". I started taking shots as well. Felt I was wasting money ( as well) started taking supplements along with iron. My liver is also fatty and I also have some small stones in my gallbladder ! How about that for a coincidence??? I am a stickler for lab results and almost obsess about them and HATE to be told it doesn't mean anything . I know the reason for the test was to check for low b12 but if being high means nothing then why do they even have a upper limit ? It sounds like everything that all of you have heard is exactly what I have as well. I am not concerned that this is a major issue , I just like to sneak around the very crevice of this body and disease :)

CDM9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was very low so u took b12 tablets and it went back up! All ok now