low readings

honey badger

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started on the low carb diet week and a half ago,
My starting reading was 20 mml going down to 15 overnight.
I had been on holiday and to be honest had gone bonkers.
Anyhow,started monday morning, very low carb,low calorie,as I wanted the numbers down fast,they had
scared me,and also I have a lot of weight to shed.
So after a week and a half,my readings throughout the day, from first thing in the morning to bed time, for the last five days have averaged between 4.5 -7.5 max..happy bunny..
However, after 1.5 hours after tea last night, 5mml, ok, so i had sugar free jelly, berries nuts,greek yogurt.
next reading before bed 4.1..to low to go to bed for me, and for me a bit scary.
tested a 15 minutes later 3.9 so i had food,two white bread rolls and two small cakes, half hour later 4.3
still not happy, so waited anothe 30 minutes and tested 3.7 re tested and 3.8..
So big mug of hot chocolate with spoon of sugar, half hour later 5.4
My question,is this Ketosis...what do you do if your really low..
to be honest i felt fine, i only felt anxious because of the readings,not because of what the low sugar reading was doing.
Woke and checked this morning, 7.7

sazzy19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, what medication are you on? Just asking because I've started on similar diet & my blood sugars are similar to your before ones. I've only just started today though so was wondering what to expect. I'm only on metformin though which is not meant to produce hypos.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started on the low carb diet week and a half ago,
My starting reading was 20 mml going down to 15 overnight.
I had been on holiday and to be honest had gone bonkers.
Anyhow,started monday morning, very low carb,low calorie,as I wanted the numbers down fast,they had
scared me,and also I have a lot of weight to shed.
So after a week and a half,my readings throughout the day, from first thing in the morning to bed time, for the last five days have averaged between 4.5 -7.5 max..happy bunny..
However, after 1.5 hours after tea last night, 5mml, ok, so i had sugar free jelly, berries nuts,greek yogurt.
next reading before bed 4.1..to low to go to bed for me, and for me a bit scary.
tested a 15 minutes later 3.9 so i had food,two white bread rolls and two small cakes, half hour later 4.3
still not happy, so waited anothe 30 minutes and tested 3.7 re tested and 3.8..
So big mug of hot chocolate with spoon of sugar, half hour later 5.4
My question,is this Ketosis...what do you do if your really low..
to be honest i felt fine, i only felt anxious because of the readings,not because of what the low sugar reading was doing.
Woke and checked this morning, 7.7

I agree with Sazzy, that for anyone to make a meaningful response, one would need to understand what, if any, medication you take.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is the glicizide that is probably giving you the lower readings. Phone your surgery and ask either to lower the dose or stop taking them. You do need to speak to your doctor still though!

There have been similar threads about lows and glicizide.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Another factor is your BG meter I have, been testing, mine against each other and against control using high and medium level control solutions and real blood samples and now know what meter to believe and which not to ......... I would recommend checking your meter against control solution to ensure you know it is giving useful accuracy in the lower and middle ranges.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My question,is this Ketosis..

As @nosher8355 has already said it's probably your medication.

Ketosis is quite normal and happens when you are very low carbing and your body has switched to burning fat; it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with very low glucose levels, though it does help reduce them You are more likely to see lower spikes after meals, and generally overall flatter levels. Don't confuse it with ketoacidosis though, which happens when (mainly type 1) diabetics get both high glucose and high ketone levels, which can be very dangerous and requires immediate medical attention.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people