Late night Yakult

dreece

History: diagnosed 6+ years ago borderline diabetic, lost weight and exercise brought me back to normal where I remain, still eating sensibly and keeping up with my 70,000 steps per week.

Fasting and 2 hour PP almost always still pretty good (except on odd occasions when hitting carbs a bit hard) of 4.7 to 5.0

I still monitor once or twice a week, being cautious as there is a serious family history of T2.

Recently, my SO and I have started a daily small bottle of probiotic (Yakult, since it on discount) at her suggestion, and I kept forgetting mine, so a couple of weeks ago started a regime of taking it immediately before heading up to bed.

The first couple of occasions I tested fasting after that, I was unusually low at 4.1 and 4.2 - bearing in mind my usual range, I started testing fasting more frequently.

Apart from one reading of 5.1, every single fasting reading in two weeks has been 4.0 to 4.3

Now I've read that some people respond well to a small carby snack at bed time, to suppress the dawn phenomenon and I see that this particular probiotic has 9.2g of sugar in it. There is a lower cal version with 3.6g, so I'll try switching to that on the next supply run.

I'm assuming that it is just the carbs that cause this effect, but it'll be interesting to see if the low sugar version is any different.

Perhaps it is improving the health of my intestinal flora that is having an effect in some way - but I didn't notice any obvious effect in the previous couple of weeks of intermittent use, taken mostly at lunchtime.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd take an assortment of probiotics to get as many variants as I could. it's interesting that diabetics have different flora than the normal population group, I don't think they have worked out why

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
With those numbers you have little to worry about for the time being, the low sugar drink would be a better option and less likely to rot your teeth.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to take care of your gut flora invest in a good probiotica that survives the acid conditions in the stomach = capsules with at least ten different strains and a 5 billions cultures if you find 10 billion even better. Prebiotica like fermented vegetables (kimchi, sauerkraut) are also good for the gut flora and feed the gut flora with resistant starch like potato starch mixed in cold water (never ever heated)

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I use and prefer to use Benecol light probiotic drinks .
Take mine pre - lunchtime about 11am .
The light range has less sugars in it .

Price wise I don't really care if its a tad pricey
Have found it does help with my diverticulitis bowel disease .
This is the real reason I like to use and take it .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to take care of your gut flora invest in a good probiotica that survives the acid conditions in the stomach = capsules with at least ten different strains and a 5 billions cultures if you find 10 billion even better. Prebiotica like fermented vegetables (kimchi, sauerkraut) are also good for the gut flora and feed the gut flora with resistant starch like potato starch mixed in cold water (never ever heated)

Where do you get your kimchi?
And how much is a suggested portion?

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Where do you get your kimchi?
And how much is a suggested portion?
I found it in an Asian store in my little town and usually had 80-90 gram per day as my daily veggs, then I read it only had 1,25 gram of carbs per 100 gram so that gives you possibility to have larger portion. A bit of warning about the spiciness. I also have eaten kkakdugi, fermented daikon/muli and liked it.

Reactions: 4 people

dreece

So I've just finished the last bottle in the first batch, and as has been suggested, will try a lower-calorie version from the same supplier next - after which, I'll try and remember to get different brands. Or maybe I should just stick with what seems to work!

The averages have gone down in a quite satisfactory manner over these few weeks - I've been taking fasting every day and 2 hour after meals most days, mostly lunch or occasional evening. Overall, my averages have probably gone down by 0.4 to 0.5 or so, which is well worth a few pounds a week. I've not otherwise changed my diet or amount of exercise.

As I said originally, I don't know if this is the result of my intestinal flora changing or just a handful of carbs at bedtime, but I'm generally happy with the result.

It will be interesting to see what my next A1C report looks like.

averages.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Could you suggest a particular brand of probiotic capsule? I'm feeling a bit bamboozled!

Suzysuze1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Materialism
Kefir is one of the best and easiest ways to get a multitude of beneficial gut bacteria. It's like a drinkable yogurt and it's lovely blended with blueberries or raspberries. It's fresh and cheap - I buy it in the local Polish supermarket.