18 weeks pregnant and high blood sugars

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi please help. I'm still so new to all of this, I had my insulin kinda under control, up to 13 weeks my insulin kept going up, at 13 weeks it went right down. So I had good after meal readings but around 5 hypos a day. Now I'm experiencing big highs in between meals 10-12 what can I do please advise ?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi please help. I'm still so new to all of this, I had my insulin kinda under control, up to 13 weeks my insulin kept going up, at 13 weeks it went right down. So I had good after meal readings but around 5 hypos a day. Now I'm experiencing big highs in between meals 10-12 what can I do please advise ?

Hi Becky,

What is your insulin regime (Pump? MDI? 2 injections per day?) and what are you eating on a typical day?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Becky, are you seeing a diabetes pregnancy team at your local hospital? I'd give them a ring and speak to a DSN who knows about diabetes in pregnancy.

It could be that you need to increase your insulin, but a DSN would be best placed to advise you about that. During pregnancy insulin needs go up gradually. 18 weeks is about right for that rise. If you had reduced your insulin because of hypos, it could be that it needs to go up a little.

Reactions: 2 people

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 19 weeks 3 days and experienced some high sugars in the last week and a half, also around the 10-12 range, particularly around 2pm - although yesterday I started creeping up in the evening as well - I'll be seeing if that pattern continues tonight.

I use a pump and ended up having to add a couple of new basal rates early afternoon before dropping them again in late afternoon. Before trying the new rates I tried doing my lunch bolus early, but that was making me go low before spiking, so now I do my bolus about 10-15 minutes before I eat lunch and then my higher basal kicks in for only an hour and a half.

Are you able to track with any kind of chart? I chart by hand, but find it helpful to see the patterns of my swings.

This is all an art, not a science - hope you're not stressing too much.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Becky 123, my understanding is that it's more challenging to manage blood glucose levels while pregnant so more guidance and support are needed. :)

In the meantime, here's two books to have a good look at.

The first is for type 1's who use a pump. It's American, but despite this, it's been reviewed extremely well in the UK. It was written by a type 1 for type 1's by a healthcare practitioner. It also includes a brief chapter specifically on pregnancy. One thing I noted in the reviews is that it also lists blood glucose levels in the form that you all use in the UK, so that's really helpful. Read the table of contents and reviews. See what you think...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Like-...6289246&sr=8-1&keywords=think+like+a+pancreas

This book is also American, and has mixed UK reviews, though reviewed well in the US. It's specifically on pregnancy for type 1's. It doesn't list blood glucose levels for the UK, only for the US, which would make it difficult. That said, it's the only book I could find specific to your needs right now - (though the above listed book, may go a long way toward meeting your needs; many reviewers reported improved control of blood glucose after reading the book)...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/372/dp/1932...alancing+Pregnancy+with+Pre-existing+Diabetes

If you get one or both books, I'd be most interested in hearing your review. :)

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so I was diagnosed 13 weeks ago as a type one, based on my symptoms and keytones, since then I have had a test for antibodies which I didn't have so I started on, aprdira 3 times a day and lantus at night. Since the antibody test came back negitive they have also added in 2000mg of metformin.
I saw the diabetic team yesterday, I go every 2 weeks but they seem about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
They have told me to increase insulin which I am doing, I generally have around 50grams of carbs per meal, which the dietician told me to do.

So I started my diabetes too high, at 5-13 weeks at 13-17 weeks i needed a lot less insulin, now I'm back to increasing it. Which is fine but how can I stop the really big highs?

I also do chart my bloods as I still don't know what I'm doing....

I just have wanted this baby for so long, I worry so much.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try not to worry {{{ hug }}} A diabetic pregnancy is hard work, but no-one can have perfect blood sugars all the time and we've all struggled with highs at some point, and have gone on to have successful pregnancies.

As you've only recently been diagnosed, it must be extra hard for you. I'm sorry your team aren't much use. I had a great DSN and was very happy with my team as they were all fantastic. Is your GP any help?

If you don't have any antibodies, have you been told you're Type 2?

Do you do correction doses with your fast acting insulin if you're high?

Are the highs a couple of hours after meals? If so, you may need to increase your pre-meal insulin or have it slightly earlier so that it stops your blood sugar going up too much after eating. If the highs happen at other times, it may be your basal long acting insulin that needs adjusting.

Keeping charts or records of your blood sugar is excellent. You could also write down what you've eaten to see if you can find a pattern to the highs.

Don't adjust your insulin yourself if you're at all unsure, but do let your team know what's happening and show them your records so they can make suggestions about dosage. Your insulin needs can increase hugely in pregnancy and the need for more insulin can come on quite suddenly.

Don't panic. Your highs aren't too awful, and the fact that you're so keen to sort them shows you're doing the best you possibly can. Many people - diabetic or not - don't take as much care as you, so please don't worry too much.

Reactions: 4 people

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This book is also American, and has mixed UK reviews, though reviewed well in the US. It's specifically on pregnancy for type 1's. It doesn't list blood glucose levels for the UK, only for the US, which would make it difficult. That said, it's the only book I could find specific to your needs right now - (though the above listed book, may go a long way toward meeting your needs; many reviewers reported improved control of blood glucose after reading the book)...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/372/dp/1932...alancing+Pregnancy+with+Pre-existing+Diabetes

If you get one or both books, I'd be most interested in hearing your review. :)

I have Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-Existing Diabetes (I'm Canadian). I went through and wrote in mmol in all the places she mentioned bloodsugar. It's an okay book - nice to have something specifically geared towards pregnant mama's, but I feel like most of the info included I can find through the JDRF pregnancy tool kit or online. It actually really stressed me out in my first 6-8 weeks, but I pull it out every so often to have a look - lots of stuff about the US medical system though.

Reactions: 3 people

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your kind words and help.
They are not sure what type I have, which I don't think is helping. One consultant thinks it's type one the other thinks it's type 2. What I wish they would do is just treat me for diabetes and figure the rest out after the baby is born. As they agree I need further test as the antibody test isn't a definite, all be it a good indication.

I asked about a correctional dose but I was told no.. But I have been if needed to be honest as I don't feel they are doing the best by me and baby.

Thanks for the idea about taking my insulin a bit befit a meal will defiantly try that.

Also I find my blood will drop quite quickly before a meal, is that something anyone else has? I can go from 10- 4 in around 30 mins which feels quite awful to drop so quick.

Thank you all x

Reactions: 4 people

elaineste

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi there new to forum but my diabetic nurse told me that high fibre foods counteract sugar so try upping your fibre intake and speak to your DBN and dietician