My journey to normality. Type 2.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought I'd share my journey, which also incorporates utilising some of the great advice found on this forum.

I haven't been and active member, I've been active in my search to find a lifestyle that will pacify and benefit my deranged metabolism (Heart Disease with one Myocardial Infarction 2009 then diagnosis of Type 2 Dec 2013).

I adopted a *lower* carb lifestyle, this still incorporated a small amount of grain, potatoes and rice as recommended by the health professionals, and also the dietary advice given in Cardiac rehab. I managed to control my glucose within reason during the day, with 3 x meals a day, nothing to eat after 7pm and walking. Whatever I tried and succeeded at during the daytime was sabotaged at night by excessive sugar production to give morning highs. My Doc placed me on Metformin, extended release as I have an intolerance to many pharma drugs. The Metformin could not curb the night shift activity.

My Doc is used to me taking the doctoryourself.com approach and I only take responsibility for myself, nobody else. I read about the Newcastle study, becoming excited and disappointed at the same time. Excited that they had such positive results, which even claimed that Beta Cells could be revived. Disappointed in the fact that they used Nestle packeted, processed shakes which does not teach anything about nutrition or a sustainable healthy lifestyle - bit of a bitter sweet pill. I felt the results of the study were something that could not be ignored but could be tailored to possibly benefit me?

I looked at diets, all the named diets - for fun, lets call them Dr So and So, The ABC of wonders, How to cure yourself in 10 easy steps... I'm sure we've all been there!! In their own way they all have something to offer and I went on a cherry picking expedition in my search for a low carb, low calorie lifestyle that was achievable and most of all sustainable.

My first hurdle was having to accept that wheat and all the grains are toxic to my metabolism. This caused a bit of a psychological crisis, as I love bread. After going through the process of trying every grain out there to see which would have a lesser affect on my sugar levels - I had to accept the reality of finding an alternative to grain. I came across Paleo - I now make Paleo bread made out of Almond Flour, Coconut Flour, Flax Meal this does not spike glucose levels, and it tastes like cake. Some of the Paleo recipes mean that you can have your cake and eat it too ;-)

I stopped taking the Metformin (advised my Doctor) For the past 6 weeks I have been on my new lifestyle of about 1000 calories a day or just under.
The No's = grain, potatoes, rice or any processed pre-made packet food. Sugars & Sweeteners (I don't drink alcohol)
The Yes's = fesh veg, fruit, eggs, meat, butter, full fat dairy, spices, water, tea, Paleo bread. + a brisk 1 hour walk on the treadmill. I hack Jamie Oliver and other normal recipes books to suit my new lifestyle - life without grain can be very tasty.

What benefits have I reaped?

I started with morning Blood sugar readings of 10.8 (Aviva Accu-chek) My HBA1C in June was 68
It took 3 weeks for my levels to come down to a consistent morning reading of 5.6 - 5.9 Two hours after meals 5.7 - 6.9.
I've lost 20lbs in 46 days. Another 30 to go before I get back to 8st.
I no longer fall asleep on the sofa in the afternoon - now feeling energised.
I no longer suffer from heart burn and indigestion.

Has it been easy? No! I've had wonderful dreams of stuffing myself with a doorstep white bread, ham sandwich laden with Mayo only then to wake up in the morning in an absolute foul temper wanting a ham sandwich all day long - the first 3 weeks were a right (...) now I don't miss it.

My Doc phoned me last week - What are you up to? gave her my BP reading 112/74 and documenting my journey for her to have a look at.

I'm not saying what I have done is right for you - One size does not fit all. I just wanted to share my journey, the trials and errors leading to something that is showing results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 22 people

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Thought I'd share my journey, which also incorporates utilising some of the great advice found on this forum.

I haven't been and active member, I've been active in my search to find a lifestyle that will pacify and benefit my deranged metabolism (Heart Disease with one Myocardial Infarction 2009 then diagnosis of Type 2 Dec 2013).

I adopted a *lower* carb lifestyle, this still incorporated a small amount of grain, potatoes and rice as recommended by the health professionals, and also the dietary advice given in Cardiac rehab. I managed to control my glucose within reason during the day, with 3 x meals a day, nothing to eat after 7pm and walking. Whatever I tried and succeeded at during the daytime was sabotaged at night by excessive sugar production to give morning highs. My Doc placed me on Metformin, extended release as I have an intolerance to many pharma drugs. The Metformin could not curb the night shift activity.

My Doc is used to me taking the doctoryourself.com approach and I only take responsibility for myself, nobody else. I read about the Newcastle study, becoming excited and disappointed at the same time. Excited that they had such positive results, which even claimed that Beta Cells could be revived. Disappointed in the fact that they used Nestle packeted, processed shakes which does not teach anything about nutrition or a sustainable healthy lifestyle - bit of a bitter sweet pill. I felt the results of the study were something that could not be ignored but could be tailored to possibly benefit me?

I looked at diets, all the named diets - for fun, lets call them Dr So and So, The ABC of wonders, How to cure yourself in 10 easy steps... I'm sure we've all been there!! In their own way they all have something to offer and I went on a cherry picking expedition in my search for a low carb, low calorie lifestyle that was achievable and most of all sustainable.

My first hurdle was having to accept that wheat and all the grains are toxic to my metabolism. This caused a bit of a psychological crisis, as I love bread. After going through the process of trying every grain out there to see which would have a lesser affect on my sugar levels - I had to accept the reality of finding an alternative to grain. I came across Paleo - I now make Paleo bread made out of Almond Flour, Coconut Flour, Flax Meal this does not spike glucose levels, and it tastes like cake. Some of the Paleo recipes mean that you can have your cake and eat it too ;-)

I stopped taking the Metformin (advised my Doctor) For the past 6 weeks I have been on my new lifestyle of about 1000 calories a day or just under.
The No's = grain, potatoes, rice or any processed pre-made packet food. Sugars & Sweeteners (I don't drink alcohol)
The Yes's = fesh veg, fruit, eggs, meat, butter, full fat dairy, spices, water, tea, Paleo bread. + a brisk 1 hour walk on the treadmill. I hack Jamie Oliver and other normal recipes books to suit my new lifestyle - life without grain can be very tasty.

What benefits have I reaped?

I started with morning Blood sugar readings of 10.8 (Aviva Accu-chek) My HBA1C in June was 68
It took 3 weeks for my levels to come down to a consistent morning reading of 5.6 - 5.9 Two hours after meals 5.7 - 6.9.
I've lost 20lbs in 46 days. Another 30 to go before I get back to 8st.
I no longer fall asleep on the sofa in the afternoon - now feeling energised.
I no longer suffer from heart burn and indigestion.

Has it been easy? No! I've had wonderful dreams of stuffing myself with a doorstep white bread, ham sandwich laden with Mayo only then to wake up in the morning in an absolute foul temper wanting a ham sandwich all day long - the first 3 weeks were a right (...) now I don't miss it.

My Doc phoned me last week - What are you up to? gave her my BP reading 112/74 and documenting my journey for her to have a look at.

I'm not saying what I have done is right for you - One size does not fit all. I just wanted to share my journey, the trials and errors leading to something that is showing results.
Well done for riding through the pain threshold. Great progress!
I think your diet, esp paleo bread, will suit me. I'm mainly gluten free.
Would live to learn more from your journey so I hope you keep posting.
Thanks again for sharing. Your story is just what I need this week as I haul my fat self back up onto the high sided wagon!

Reactions: 2 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks!
Sure, I hope be more active here - helps to stop me falling off the wagon.
I found a fabulous food called Kelp Noodles = 0 carbs, 0 calories and full of minerals. I have it when I make a curry, Pad Thai dish etc instead of rice. It doesn't have a lot of flavour, it is crunchy and adds a nice texture to the meal along with filling you up. Other little gems I've come across - Lasagne, replace the pasta sheets with either Leeks, sliced long ways or sliced sheets of Butternut Squash.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love success stories like yours. :) WELL DONE!

And yes, I have had to give up grains too.

Have you come across this thread yet? Fantastic recipes.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/

No, I hadn't seen that wonderful thread!! Yes, there are truly some wonderful recipes, for a savoury junkie like me many formulas to keep me entertained in the kitchen. Allot of work went into collating those recipes - I will be one to appreciate it ;)