Diclofenac

Mummy_r

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That I can't eat what it want
Hi I'm type 2 on metformin 3 times a day.i take cocodamol for a long time for back pain but today my pain is so bad and I would usually take diclofenac also but don't know if I can along with metformin and if it's allowed for diabetics. Can anyone advise please.x thankyou

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I take Codeine Phosphate 30mg (Co Codamol has Paracetamol added) for chronic bowel problems but take the bare minimum and some days take none. I think codeine in high doses (even for painkilling effects) is not a good idea as they eventually cause tolerance and maybe dependence issues. I use a TENS machine for mild to severe nerve/neuromuscular pain. Diclofenac is a NSAID and can cause stomach bleeding and erosion and are not recommended long term unless you take Omeprazol or Lansoprazole etc. Check the Patient Information Leaflet or discuss any drug interactions with your Pharmacist.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi I'm type 2 on metformin 3 times a day.i take cocodamol for a long time for back pain but today my pain is so bad and I would usually take diclofenac also but don't know if I can along with metformin and if it's allowed for diabetics. Can anyone advise please.x thankyou
I suggest calling a pharmacist, or googling for the patient information leaflets for metformin and diclofenac.

I can't recall seeing any info about Diclofenac with metformin or in diabetics, but that would be covered in the info suggested above. As far as I know, it's generally considered safe when taken according to instructions, but there is a risk of stomach ulcer and related issues and this can be reduced by always taking it with food. If you get stomach symptoms, stop taking it and see your doctor. If you need it for more than a few days you should see your doctor.

I use Celebrex instead of Diclofenac as it is much easier on the stomach. It's only available by prescription and it's fairly expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't advise on drugs. Can tell you what I use for my lower lumbar prolapsed discs - Voltarol 12 hour emugel, it contains Diclofenac which targets the specific area of inflammation and pain, according to data it shouldn't enter the blood stream, avoiding stomach and heart aggravation ;)
Here is data on it http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/seniors-health/medicines/voltarol-emulgel.html

Last edited by a moderator:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Can't advise on drugs. Can tell you what I use for my lower lumbar prolapsed discs - Voltarol 12 hour emugel, it contains Diclofenac which targets the specific area of inflammation and pain, according to data it shouldn't enter the blood stream, avoiding stomach and heart aggravation ;)
Here is data on it http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/seniors-health/medicines/voltarol-emulgel.html
It's a good choice for most people, but with my stomach issues I don't trust it not to enter the bloodstream and cause problems. I'm skeptical about it, but each to their own.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You do need to check with a pharmacist or the leaflet. Metformin can normally be taken together with most other drugs. I've had diclofenac prescribed after an operation when taking Metformin but check. As others have said, diclofenac is great for a few days but not advisable long-term.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a good choice for most people, but with my stomach issues I don't trust it not to enter the bloodstream and cause problems. I'm skeptical about it, but each to their own.

Fully understand your scepticism.
I won't take any NSAID's like Ibuprofen, Diclofenac etc, advised as a heart patient that it can increase the risk to another MI. I discussed the gel version with my Cardiologist he didn't think that would harm as it targets the pain at source instead of through the stomach and internal transportation system.

Mummy_r

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thankyou to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. Xxxx

Reactions: 2 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Isn't diclofenac being withdrawn generally? I have it as a standby for gout attacks (not had one in many months) but my GP is going to change the prescription and in any case it was difficult to get hold of last time I renewed my supply. I'd talk to your GP about an alternative.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't diclofenac being withdrawn generally? I have it as a standby for gout attacks (not had one in many months) but my GP is going to change the prescription and in any case it was difficult to get hold of last time I renewed my supply. I'd talk to your GP about an alternative.

Just looked it up, all over the counter oral products are no longer available, it is available on prescription. As for the gel "
Topical diclofenac containing products (gels that are applied to the skin) are still available to buy without a prescription. This is because the diclofenac in these products is not significantly absorbed into the body and so they are not associated with the same risks".

Read more: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/aches-and-pains/medicines/voltarol-pain-eze-tablets.html#ixzz3kfhEgVwx

Mummy_r

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi. I had no idea diclofenac is being withdrawn. I had some left over in my cupboard from a previous prescription so wondered if they were safe to take with metformin and just generally safe for a diabetic to take .thanks for ur info x

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As I understand it, diclofenac is the NSAID that has the most significant side effects. Other NSAIDs may have less side effects but they may not be as effective. Hard to say. I've tried them all and I can't take them anymore. I have to use the more expensive Cox-2 inhibitors when I need one.

One thing I have found useful for pain management is paracetamol taken at 4g a day. Initially I thought this is a mild drug and it won't do much but several doctors recommended it taken at the max dose for at least 2 days, and I have to say this does work well for me. The only side effect that concerns me is potential effect on liver function, but this can be monitored with blood testing.

Mummy_r

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
As I understand it, diclofenac is the NSAID that has the most significant side effects. Other NSAIDs may have less side effects but they may not be as effective. Hard to say. I've tried them all and I can't take them anymore. I have to use the more expensive Cox-2 inhibitors when I need one.

One thing I have found useful for pain management is paracetamol taken at 4g a day. Initially I thought this is a mild drug and it won't do much but several doctors recommended it taken at the max dose for at least 2 days, and I have to say this does work well for me. The only side effect that concerns me is potential effect on liver function, but this can be monitored with blood testing.
Hi can anybody help me. I'm on metformin and have a terrible problem with wind. It's so distressing for me .is there anything I can take to help xx

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi can anybody help me. I'm on metformin and have a terrible problem with wind. It's so distressing for me .is there anything I can take to help xx
Hi Mummy_r, I'm so sorry to hear you are having these issues. I don't know of anything you could take that would help with this, if it's caused by metformin. I can only suggest you see your doctor about it. If you have been taking metformin for a while and this has just started or gotten worse, then there might be another cause.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Make sure your Metformin is the SR (Slow Release) version. The standard version is known to casue bowel problems.