Recently diagnosed and need friends

hansel12345

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am lookin for diabetic friends who does out door activity aes life stylechange

paruri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need help now really bad. I was diagnosed a month ago with BS of 22.9. I was placed on galvus met 1 in the morning and one at nite with meal. I was 98kg but today I weigh 89Kg. I work out on thread mill twice a day for 1 hour. 30 mins each time on incline 4.5. Somebody here advised that I should eat before my morning exercise and I have been doing that. I tested my blood sugar last about two weeks ago I was hoping to work on my diet, use my drugs and exercise and see what will happen as in a drastic low BS. I tried out my newly purchased meter today and realised I don't know how to use it. When I got to the doc my BS has risen from 16.4 to 17.1. I did everything that am suppose to do and BS is not coming down. Although am fine physically. I think Galvus met is not working for me. Pls should I go off drugs because the last time I did to fast was the only time my BS reduce to 16,4 from 22.9. Pls help

@less Sugar Bee
your blood sugar levels boils down to what you are eating. How many carbs are you taking daily? Are your BG levels still high inspite of going low carb?

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Your are starting out, to get your blood glucose numbers down you have to at least initially get your carbohydrate consumption right down only then try re-introducing small ammounts of foods that contain complex such as granary breads.
The glucose in your blood is from foods in the following order (1) Simple sugars - immediate effect. (2) more complex carbohydrates - slightly delayed effect. (3) Protein less effect much slower rise in blood glucose. (4) Fats and other oils which have little effect on blood glucose level.
Low carbing won't work unless you cut out the sugars and carbohydrates and replace them with fats and oils.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I should stop taking carbs for now? I don't take sugar or honey at all. What about milk.

paruri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heard that milk also has lactose sugars. More in skimmed and semi skimmed comparative to full fat milk. Did you stop all grains? What are your typical meals during the day? Agree with @Sirmione about cutting all carbs and replacing with healthy fats.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I should stop taking carbs for now? I don't take sugar or honey at all. What about milk.
Yes of course you should cut down on carbs. Starch or sugar, no difference, they will turn to glucose once inside you. Milk is about 4-5 % sugar so be careful there.

You have a meter so use it. Test before a meal and two hours after your first bite.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb is a site I have learnt a lot from and it helps me keeping my BG normal.

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look at the labels for carbohydrates, not of which are but all carbs. You'll soon notice what is high, some sausages are 5g per sausage some .5g, big difference. I give myself a maximum of 50g per day. Lidl protein rolls are under 9g for one but I half them. It's a total turn around but labels must be read. Anything your not sure of carbs, Google. All the best in your endeavour x

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Lactose is a sugar but not everybody has as the ability convert to lactose into glucose, It depends a lot from which racial groups your genes were inherited from.
Likewise dietary fibre is technically a Carbohydrate but can't be broken down by humans so passes right through your digestive tract without being absorbed.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I am an African all the way, do I get to convert lactose to glocose so I can stop taking milk

Based on that bit of info from what I gather from the net there isva 70 percent chance that milk won't cause your blood glucose to rise. Only way to know is to test it out.

Boo pins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am recently diagnosed also don't know who to talk to I am having a burning pain and pins and needles in my feet and hands is this normal for diabetics or should I see my go having pain in my calf also and a lot of cramp please help

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You'll see lots of references to them all over this site, but I recommend you investigate Lidl's "High Protein Rolls" if you're in a country where they are stocked. Not expensive, absolutely delicious, very low carb (lots of linseeds and soya flour, only a little wheat flour) and toast really well. I restrict myself to one a day - half for breakfast and half for my bedtime snack. That way I start the day happy and can look forward to a lovely treat at the end of the day. It's great for maintaining your morale in the face of losing the ability to eat so many other tasty foods.

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Boo pins. Its hard to say without knowing your other circumstances. The burning and pain could be neuropathy, caused by the diabetes damaging your nerves. Or it could just be the effects of being overweight and stressing your legs and feet. I used to get terrible cramps in my legs too, quite at random and completely debilitating. Since diagnosis I have drastically reduced carbs, have lost a couple of stone (not sure exactly how much - 3 notches on my belt so far) and the cramps are virtually gone. Also, are you quite sedentary? I tend to find that sitting down for long periods at a computer gives me swelling in my feet/ankles, and pain and burning. And I sometimes get cramps after sitting down too long.