1 Dry Foot!

garethdavies

I am new to this forum so hi to everyone!

I am a Type 1 diabetic, 28 years old diagnosed 14 years ago. with a BMI of 23. I have an insulin pump and my HbA1c has been around 7 for the last 12 months.

I feel my knowledge about the pump and my diabetes is quite good and I am quite happy with my progress but I am not so happy with advice I have been given regarding my footcare...

So to 'crack on' with my issue...

I have 1 foot perfectly healthy but my other foot has suffered for the last 24 months from a dry undersole? I have brought this to the attention of my clinic during my annual diabetic foot review but they do not seem concerned in the slightest.

Recently my toenails (all on said foot) have become very dry and white in appearance, when clipping them they are very brittle in comparison with my other 'healthy' foot.

I have put cream on this for some time but this gas not affected the condition.

In my experience I should not always trust the 1 opinion of said professional as it is my life and health in question but I also understand if I am making a mountain out of a molehill

I appreciate any help here and look forward to sharing my experiences with others on this forum.

Thanks all.

Regards

Gareth

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As a Diabetic you can self refer to an NHS Podiatry service in your local area. They should be able to assist you in diagnosing the problem and provide the appropriate treatment.

Maistan

Hello

I have been diagnosed and on tablets for 2 years and I also suffer from very dry feet, I mentioned this at my visits to the clinic but the nurse never took any notice, I also had very itchy feet particularly the outsides of my feet and I would scratch them until they bled. My doctor prescribed steriod cream for this and this helped the itchyness but they seem uninterested in the dryness. I eventually wore them down and I got an appointment with the NHS Podiatrist who recommended a cream that contained a steriod, an antibiotic and an anti fungal - since starting to use this 2 weeks ago the dryness has gone as has the itchyness so please contact your nurse and arrange an appointment for a Podiatrist.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
To moisturise dryness, before getting podiatry help, Use a "runny" hand cream, or last year's left-over sunlotion. Watery creams and lotions work better than oily ones.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Gareth.
We can't diagnose your condition but this is something based on experience.......

I see after looking at your post again you don't just have a dry foot sole but also brittle toenails ?

This is a possible symptom of Athletes Foot which can spread to the areas you mentioned, the soles of the feet and toenails. If it is left untreated it can also infect other parts of the body.

It needs to be treated straight away when the symptoms first started otherwise the infection can soon spread to other parts of the body.......not good. Usually OTC anti-fungal meds are used and for the most part very effective but the condition can recur if not treated properly.

That is why I still recommend you self refer to an expert......an NHS Podiatrist.

Dippy3103

You do need to get a diagnosis.
I have very dry feet, I did pre diagnosis so for me it isn't diabetes related. I find putting lashings of very thick foot cream on my feet then wearing moisturising socks all night really helps.

garethdavies

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the advice and I have emailed my GP asking for a referral. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks. :D

garethdavies

Hi All

I spoke to my GP and he referred me to an NHS Podiatrist - the prognosis was indeed Athletes Foot so nothing too much to worry about! I have been told to use a spray on my foot and in my shoes etc.

Strange that it was only on one foot though and slightly frustrating that I've suffered with this for almost 12 months and the diabetic foot clinic at my GP's missed this even though I have pointed it out previously.

Thanks to everyone here in the forum and Happy New Year!

Gareth