1st Glucose reading 12.4mmol can anyone tell me what this means please ?

MickeyD123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes members on here told e to get a glucose metre I’ve doe my 1st rradingat5:50 pm and it’s 12.4 mmol what does that mean can anyone help me please

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That reading is high but to be expected as you’re newly diagnosed. Once you’ve implemented changes in life style recommended for control you can expect your levels to normalise. Have a look here too:

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
12.4 mmol what does that mean
A single one off number doesn't tell you much of anything apart from that your blood sugar levels are too high, but let's face it, if they were normal you wouldn't have been diagnosed with T2.
To gain any useful information there needs to be a little structure to your testing.
Just before a meal test and make a note of the result, then to discover how your meal affected your glucose levels, test at intervals after your meal. Depending on what the meal was, 45min to 1hr should give you an idea of how high that meal is taking you. By 90min hopefully it's on its way down, and in an ideal world at 2hr's you would be getting back somewhere close to your starting level.
If at the 2hr mark you are still 2mmol or more above your pre meal level, then there were too many carbs in that meal for you to handle and you need to consider how to reduce the carb content of that meal, or even maybe cross it off the menu altogether.
It means a lot of testing and probably sore fingers but in a few weeks you will have a pretty good idea of how you need to change your diet. Keeping a food diary along with a record of your reading will help.

MickeyD123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That reading is high but to be expected as you’re newly diagnosed. Once you’ve implemented changes in life style recommended for control you can expect your levels to normalise. Have a look here too:
Thanks for info I was shaking earlier and light headed must be the reason I’m only a few days into new diet

MickeyD123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A single one off number doesn't tell you much of anything apart from that your blood sugar levels are too high, but let's face it, if they were normal you wouldn't have been diagnosed with T2.
To gain any useful information there needs to be a little structure to your testing.
Just before a meal test and make a note of the result, then to discover how your meal affected your glucose levels, test at intervals after your meal. Depending on what the meal was, 45min to 1hr should give you an idea of how high that meal is taking you. By 90min hopefully it's on its way down, and in an ideal world at 2hr's you would be getting back somewhere close to your starting level.
If at the 2hr mark you are still 2mmol or more above your pre meal level, then there were too many carbs in that meal for you to handle and you need to consider how to reduce the carb content of that meal, or even maybe cross it off the menu altogether.
It means a lot of testing and probably sore fingers but in a few weeks you will have a pretty good idea of how you need to change your diet. Keeping a food diary along with a record of your reading will help.
Thank you so much this is so helpful I tested at 5:30 am before food ivwas 11.3 then about 2 hours after food was 8.1. Following a low carb menu meal

Reactions: catinahat

MickeyD123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sore fingers can be massively limited by testing the right way.

Be well hydrated with clean, warm hands. That makes it easier for blood to flow.
Give your finger a massage from palm to tip a couple of times before you prick it.
Get your meter ready. Have the test strip positioned ready to insert but don’t push it in fully yet. This means less messing about once the drop is ready and waiting. And you aren’t rushing to get it all done before the meter times out either
Then use the lancet at the edges of the fingertips, not the centre of the pad, not on the very top. It does less damage there and limits loss of sensitivity over the years.
Rotate the site of the pin prick each time. Maybe around each finger or a new finger each time. Doesn’t matter but avoid hitting the same spot every time.
Then wait. Let the blood well up. Try not to squeeze if you can and if you do need to do again from the bottom up to top not tight at the top. Less bruising this way and a better sample too.
Deftly finish inserting the strip and scoop up the blood onto the collection line, holding it horizontally to the ground

Make sure you set the depth of the lancet only as deep as it needs to be. Each finger and position on that finger will likely bleed a little differently. We all have favourite or difficult spots. And a sharp lancet hurts less than a blunt one. Officially you are supposed to change it every test. Many of us only do it when it hurts more. Do not share obviously And reuse at your own risk/discretion.
Thanks so much it is really helpful yes my thumb were sore I kept using it but will get used to it many thanks