2 days in and it's very confusing!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful with Donner meat it definitely isn’t low carb - how do you think they get it to stick together? Lots of grains and flours.

Stick with chicken kebab and salad a little bit of chilli sauce ask them what’s in it, no pitta bread, and watch the coleslaw if they buy it in, it will have added sugar, my local pizza kebab place make their own so a bit if that is fine. If you want to have something to wrap it in then I use the wraps from srsly low carb - they are 5g carb a wrap

• Informative
Reactions: Outlier

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most things that's good for me
Be careful with Donner meat it definitely isn’t low carb - how do you think they get it to stick together? Lots of grains and flours.
I actually read on this forum that it was low carb. Granted it was from a long time ago so may have been incorrect information.

Not really too fussy as I prefer chicken kebab meat anyway. Just looking for an option for me when everyone else wants a takeaway.

Reactions: aylalake

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on the quality, I wouldn’t rely on it blindly, but this is why your meter and testing is invaluable, :)

testing foods to see what it does to our personal BG is the way to go, just because one person can eat it doesn’t mean others can, of course that applies in reverse too! So try it and test right before and 2 hours after first bite and if it’s within the range you’re happy with then it’s on your menu :). I would say that as doner meat is very fatty this may slow down your rise so I personally would test at 3 hrs too just to make sure I’m definitely on the way down and not on the slow rise up

Reactions: retrogamer

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It depends on the quality, I wouldn’t rely on it blindly, but this is why your meter and testing is invaluable, :)

testing foods to see what it does to our personal BG is the way to go, just because one person can eat it doesn’t mean others can, of course that applies in reverse too! So try it and test right before and 2 hours after first bite and if it’s within the range you’re happy with then it’s on your menu :). I would say that as doner meat is very fatty this may slow down your rise so I personally would test at 3 hrs too just to make sure I’m definitely on the way down and not on the slow rise up
Looking at getting a meter soon. Once I've researched more about levels and what to expect. I don't even know my results from the doctors yet so a meter wouldn't really serve a useful purpose until I know where I'm coming from.

There is obviously much more for me to learn. I have read about certain sugar free treats such as some wafer biscuits from Sainsbury's. The nutritional information states 60g carbs and 0.5g sugar. That now confuses the hell out of me. Not that it's the type of thing I would have but are they good or bad for diabetics??

This is definitely a massive learning curve

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Due to the fact I'm going very low carb to
A. Lose weight &
B. Get my sugar levels under control
I'm reading the nutritional information on everything in my cupboards and in the supermarket. If it has any significant amount of carbs I simply don't use it. I have no idea what will affect me and what won't yet so the safest option is to abstain as much as possible. Gravy granules stated a significant amount of carbs so I assumed it was not good.

On another note:
I've just read elsewhere on the forum that donner kebab meat and chicken kebab meat are both carb free. Please tell me that hot chilli is also carb free!!
I'm eating whatever doesn't leave my BG monitor having an attack of the vapours two hours after a meal, and testing the same at least three times just to be on the safe side.

Can't comment on the kebab meat, but hot chilli sauce tends to be very low in carbs and Tabasco has none.

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at getting a meter soon. Once I've researched more about levels and what to expect. I don't even know my results from the doctors yet so a meter wouldn't really serve a useful purpose until I know where I'm coming from.

There is obviously much more for me to learn. I have read about certain sugar free treats such as some wafer biscuits from Sainsbury's. The nutritional information states 60g carbs and 0.5g sugar. That now confuses the hell out of me. Not that it's the type of thing I would have but are they good or bad for diabetics??

I'd be inclined to get a meter ASAP; the doctor's results will be informative, but with a diagnosis of diabetes the main thing is to get on top of what you can eat without any spikes and whatever foods are the equivalent of BG dynamite for you. There's plenty of information on this site about the BG readings T2s should be aiming for.

Don't delay, order that BG meter today!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you post a pic of the nutrients label of that product, or a link to them on a supermarket Web site that would help us answer your question, please?
No added sugar can still be high carb!

• Informative
Reactions: Grandma Misti

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you post a pic of the nutrients label of that product, or a link to them on a supermarket Web site that would help us answer your question, please?
No added sugar can still be high carb!
Well it's not really something I'm interested in anyway. It was something my daughter found and suggested it. It's not something that appeals to me anyway.

If I come across it again I'll post a picture

Reactions: MrsA2

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well it's not really something I'm interested in anyway. It was something my daughter found and suggested it. It's not something that appeals to me anyway.

If I come across it again I'll post a picture
Since you don’t list what type of diabetes you have….I guess you don’t take insulin. Right? Those with T1 don’t necessarily follow a highly restrictive low carb diet. There are other options. I’d discuss it with your doctor or health care professional. There are a lot of delicious foods that fit well into meeting nutritional needs and weight loss. Good luck!

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Since you don’t list what type of diabetes you have….I guess you don’t take insulin. Right? Those with T1 don’t necessarily follow a highly restrictive low carb diet. There are other options. I’d discuss it with your doctor or health care professional. There are a lot of delicious foods that fit well into meeting nutritional needs and weight loss. Good luck!
The only reason I didn't list is because at the time of registering I didn't know. I had no idea what the doctor was going to tell me. I have no idea if I can edit my profile, I haven't found a way to on my phone yet.
It is type 2 diabetes though and no I don't take insulin. I have been prescribed metformin for now and told to change my diet and get more exercise.

Reactions: Prancy

Paule Foster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So in my introduction I admitted to being a bit of a fussy eater. There are plenty of things I can eat that won't cause me problems but there are other foods that I'm not sure I can find alternatives to.

For example, breakfast cereals. I like a variety of them, some which I believe are ok for me such as shredded wheat but without a sprinkle of sugar they don't taste good. Fruit with breakfast cereals isn't an option because I just don't like them. I picked up some alternative to sugar which I've read is fine for diabetics, Stevia granuals but the milk just tasted bitter to me with that stuff. It's really not nice stuff.

Is a sprinkle of sugar or a spoon of sugar in my coffee (only one or two cups per day) a problem? Obviously without testing it's impossible to say but from others experience will this be fine or should I keep looking for an alternative?

I do like fish but struggle to find foods to make a meal out of it. Yesterday I cracked open a tin of tuna, added a bit of pepper and vinegar and grabbed a fork!! It'll get boring pretty quickly that way though so I need to think of something to go with it. As I admitted in my introduction, me and salad stuff don't see eye to eye! I'd love to empty a tin over a bed of lettuce with tomato's etc but I cannot stand the taste! Love the look of a salad on my plate but it just tastes bitter and nasty to me.

My diet previously consisted largely of bread, pasta and potatoes. I'd have either sandwiches, toast or similar (white bread btw) Pasta dishes such as lasagne, spaghetti Bolognese etc or casseroles with potatoes in them or something with chips or jacket potatoes etc.

I've been searching the supermarkets looking for alternatives but I have absolutely no clue what to look for. Being a non fruit, non veg, non salad eating diabetic is not easy, everything seems to have added sugar or high carbs.

I know 2 days isn't long to get used to the changes but I feel with the lack of variety in my diet I am going to struggle to find meals that are suitable.

Sorry for the long rant but I'm feeling quite defeated already.

As everyone here has been saying low carb is the way to go. 150g ish for me (which is quite generous) & no more than 45g in a meal works well for me & not to big a shock. The game changer for me was to get a Libre 2 blood glucose monitor. It’s a continuous monitor & you can track exactly which foods raise your blood glucose. Everyone is slightly different. Cereals are very bad for me - but it’s also portion control. A 50g bowl is a normal half bowl so very easy to eat 70g carbs at breakfast & think it’s healthy! Full fat yoghurt with berries & nuts, eggs etc much better. On the plus side I’m OK with basmati rice & pasta but a portion the size of my hand & twice the sauce I’d normally have with plenty of veg in it, but can’t have bread (sob), noodles or potato except in tiny quantities once or twice a week. Couscous good (for me). We make everything from scratch now so I know exactly what I’m eating. You’ll be offered a nutrition & dealing with diabetes course which are useful. They recommended the carbs & Cals app (or book) to me & this has been great for keeping track. It’s a free app & you can scan barcodes & put in your own recipes. Diabetes UK have some great recipes & tips. I have a sweet tooth (though becoming less so) but found a fabulous recipe for dark chocolate cake (with kidney beans! No one ever guesses it & tastes really good & low carb). Nuts instead of crisps & a date or two instead of sweets. I like the Nakd bars (dates & nuts & lots of variety) instead of my usual afternoon chocolate bar. Sugar substitutes expensive & not great - I just cut down/out & add berries/raisins instead. Avoid so-called diabetic foods - expensive & generally ******. Try to enjoy cooking new recipes & foodstuffs, (I aim for a new one each week) & good luck!

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only reason I didn't list is because at the time of registering I didn't know. I had no idea what the doctor was going to tell me. I have no idea if I can edit my profile, I haven't found a way to on my phone yet.
It is type 2 diabetes though and no I don't take insulin. I have been prescribed metformin for now and told to change my diet and get more exercise.
Click on your name at the top right at the top right of this page, scroll down to Account Details and further down that page you'll see 'Type of diabetes'.

Also, when I was first diagnosed I found this blog post a very helpful steer when it comes to what to eat. These days I follow the principles, also weigh food for portion control, and use my BG meter to test before and after meals. It sounds tedious, but it's really not.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

A meter is useful from day one. It gives you a different set of information from the HbA1c. What a meter (either a fingerprick glucometer or a CGM) does is tell you what's happening right now, so you can use it to see how well you deal with various foods. As others have said, with a fingerprick meter you test before eating to establish a baseline, and then test again at the two hour point. The CGM is essentially constantly recording, so you get the same info.

Between the two testings your blood sugar will have risen in response to carbs (assuming there were carbs in what you ate). Under this system, you are NOT testing to see how high you go. You are testing to see how well your insulin system dealt with what you ate, and ideally your system will have returned you to baseline, or close enough, after two hours.

If you want to see the peak, out of curiosity, you'll need to be testing in the first hour or so after you eat. A CGM will show you this very clearly.

Real example: I take a reading - 5.4mmol/l. Drink a small cafe latte, no sugar. Within 20 minutes BG is 8.6 as the lactose in the hot milk is absorbed quickly, digested to glucose, and hits the bloodstream. After one hour it's 6.0 as most of the additional glucose has already been managed: After two hours it's 5.3. Conclusion: I can have a small cafe latte in the knowledge that at present my system can handle it.

If your Sainsbury's wafer biscuits are 60g carb - is that total carb per packet, carb per 100g, carb per biscuit, or something else? The "of which sugars" you can safely ignore - it's something food manufacturers are allowed to use to make their products seem better for us than they are. All digestable carbs are converted to glucose, so that's the figure you need to be looking at. Once the glucose is in your blood, it doesn't really matter where it came from.

The key thing is to be able to understand how much carb you're actually taking in. 500g of something that's 7% carb is 35g of carb. 10g of something that's 25% carb is 2.5g carb. Both content and quantity matter.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @retrogamer welcome to the forum. In addition to what has been said before, you might consider intermittent fasting. I and many others successfully lost weight by this method. I did 5+2, i.e. only ate 600 calories 2 days a week. This means very few carbs, mainly vegetables, e.g. as curries or stew, soup, salads, a bit of chicken or fish, one egg, a measured helping of greek or natural yogurt, half an apple, ... and a bottle of tap water for lunch. The amazing thing was that I never felt hungry and the pounds more or less melted off. You can eat lots of veggies and soup, which is filling. Losing weight usually correlates with better blood sugar values and has many other benefits. best wishes on your journey
whilst I agree with intermittent fasting I’d not suggest this from the starting gate, it’s often just too much too fast for the mind and emotions to keep up with let alone the physical effects including the potential effect on eyes if the drop in bgl is big and fast enough. It’s enough to switch to low carb foods in the early days. Once you’ve got to grips with that reduced feeding events (less snacking/fewer meals) often happen naturally and easily due to the more filling nature of the foods. And even if it’s a deliberate choice it’s so much easier once you’ve got used to having the more filling meals when you do eat.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My evening meal yesterday left me feeling a little underfed as it didn't contain the usual bulk of bread, potatoes or pasta (I've sometimes had all three in one meal!!!!) But I haven't woken up this morning feeling like I'm starving so hopefully it's a good sign that it was satisfying enough to keep me going.
Did you increase the other elements on your plates enough? Or is it the physically being bulked out sensation you’re missing?

Reactions: retrogamer

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Secondly to get into Ketosis (fat burning mode) you ideally need to be eating no more than 20g carbohydrates for 3-4 days in a row. This is hard if you've not been used to restricting your carbs, so what I did is work down to it, starting with eating 100g carbs and reducing that amount by 10g every 2-3 days until you hit the 20g mark. Please be aware that this will have an impact on your energy levels, until you achieve ketosis, and even then you will need to supplement your electrolytes (sodium/magnesium/potassium) as you will be losing those when you pee. There are a number of good keto electrolyte solutions available online, just check the carb numbers on the packaging as some can be quite high.
Fat burning effectively actually takes longer ( a few weeks) than reaching just ketosis. The longer you’ve been in ketosis the quicker you can switch back and forth between glucose and fat burning. I guess it’s training your body to be efficiently dual fuel rather than just forcing it into it. Also the 20g thing is a guaranteed level rather than absolute. Many people reach ketosis up to 50g a day, a few even a bit higher especially if they are very active. Other wise you give great advice about the stepping it down and the electrolytes if diet isn’t providing enough. I personally didn’t need them but some do, especially in the early weeks whilst you might be adjusting. It’s rarely a long term issue though.

philosophy47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Managing other people is the worst, and going out to lunch is not an.option for me now. Everything is bread related, baked potatoes or expensive and nasty bagged salad with some cheap chicken. I just meet people for coffee in the mornings. It saves me having to explain yet again...... which is tedious and insulting to my intelligence. Give up the cereals - you would be better off eating the box. I found the way forward was to really investigate the food I was eating, it was a game changer for me and helped that I was willing to change my diet for health. You cannot go far wrong if you start by reading Dr Jason Fung and Prof Tim Spector, they.might motivate you which was my big problem. Good luck - take things slowly, rushing at it all is confusing.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I find there are plenty of places that can serve a low carb meal. Many places will swap potato chips for alternatives (such as an extra fried egg, or some salad). I'm told that Mc Donalds do a swap of the bun for lettuce leaves. And you can eat Chinese or Indian excluding the rice and having a veg dish instead.

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree I’ve never really struggled eating out, last Saturday out for lunch I had the sizzling chicken fajitas from the menu, no tortillas asked if the had iceberg lettuce to wrap instead, no problem, lashings of sour cream, guacamole was delicious

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think cafes are the worst along with chain type pubs. Anywhere that serves actual food (ie has real veg or salad not just chips and processed meats) can normally swap out the carb element for veg/salad/eggs that appear elsewhere in the menu.

Cafes tend to relegate me to an omelette, maybe a soup but many are made with a lot of potato or if I’m lucky an all day breakfast (careful with the cheap sausages). Sometimes in the fast food places you can customise the menu and add more salad items and ditch the bread. I can’t be doing with lettuce wrapped burgers, they fall apart, so I prefer a fork. In desperation last week at an airport I got a triple burger with salad and bacon in it and ditched the bread.