2 hour PP readings.

DaveNN

Have you ever thought how a meal with carbs with differing GI values can effect you?
( not that I would advocate a lot of carbs anyway)
The other night I did a deliberate carb binge (got shouted at ) and my bloods were totally normal by the 3 hour mark ( and at the 9ish level after 2)
Then at 4 hrs they bounced back up by 3mmol and then steadily dropped to normal within a further hour or so.
In such an instance, are we lulled into a false sense of security when testing our bloods at a PP of around 2 hrs?

That said, I suspect that this afterspike was caused by the baguette I had, after the biscuits- chocolate and healthy milk.
The really nasty stuff would have been metabolised first.

Correct?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I am testing a new food, or experimenting, or worried about my starting level, I test at an hour and then half hourly after that until I am satisfied I have dropped back to normal. The 2 hour thing, to me, is irrelevant. It is only a general guideline. In fact, the NICE guidelines changed last year. It now says "under 8.5 at least 90 minutes " after a meal, rather than 2 hours. 2 hours just isn't mentioned. This implies any time after 90 minutes, which sounds rubbish advice to me and means nothing, other than don't worry if you are higher than 8.5 during the first 90 minutes.

The fat content of a meal will impact on timings of subsequent BS rises, as will what you do between finishing the meal and testing. I doubt you sat still for 3 or 4 hours. Maybe a cup of tea/coffee? Although a sudden rise of 3mmol/l seems a lot. Could that have been a meter/strip/user error? Did you re-test it? I would have washed my hands again and re-tested.

Reactions: 2 people

DaveNN

I deliberately didn't move, save to wash my hands for the tests and a 'comfort break". I did also re-test as I didn't believe my reading and it was a gnat's tinkle out from the first one. You have hit on something though. Perhaps the fats in the milk had an effect?