2 months along the line....

corker

Hello all

I was diagnosed in September with Type 2 Diabetes.

Historically in May 2011 my blood sugar was 10. 1 after drinking that awful sugar drink.
In Septmeber this year it was 7.1, again after drinking that awful suage drink.

I was then diagnosed with Type 2, and told to present myself for a group session with the dietician.
As I work away all week, I declined the opportunity to see the dietician.

I read this and other forums, and taken up an eat to the meter regime. In the 2 months I have been following this regime, all my readings have come down, and now typically are around 4.5 before meals and around 5.8 - 7 2 hours after, and have so far lost over a stone in weight, changed my diet radically, eliminating as much sugar as possible, eating fresh, not processed, eating little or no red meat, but more fish & about the same of chicken. I eat lots of pulses and beans and stuff like that. My sugars did go up one time, but I guess that was because of a cold and tooth ache caused by an abscess.

So I think I've got a good handle on this thing, so far. ...

Apparently I have to see the Dr again in 3 - 4 weeks time (the 3 month point). So before I go in and see the Dr, I have been formulating a few questions I want to ask. These are

1. So whats my numbers now, and are the results, in the Dr's eyes good or bad?
2. Can I have the 'Flu jab as every time I get a cold it drags on for days.....and I think its affecting my T2 Diabetes...and it seems I am more susceptable to colds now, the risk being 'Flu.
3. Do I really "need" to see a dietician, ie is part of a treatment process resulting in a tick in the box for the Dr...when clearly I taken things into my own hands and improved things. Will this have a detrimental effect upon my treatment plan, in the future?

So, what do think...?

Strategically I want to keep off the tablets for as long as possible (I am not on any now) and would appreciate your thoughts.

A.Corker

MaryJ

Hi Corker

Well done on the improvement and changes you've made.

re the questions - here's my two-pennorth worth

1- would be worth taking in evidence of your reads and the foods you've eaten, proof of how YOU have brought your numbers down.
2- Yes, you are in the 'at risk' group so should have been offered the flu jab
3- I have never seen a dietician or been offered it. I would have thought after your adult discussion with you gP re point 1, they should be happy to see you are well in control of your condition.

Mary x

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could also ask once he's seen the good work that you've put in, whether he'll support you in being proactive in controlling your diabetes and give you some test strips. Don't hold your breath though most don't, but until you ask you don't know! You may be lucky and get some!

Ann

A

Anonymous

Hi Corker,

It's nice to have the support of your GP, but you know your numbers are coming down and you should be feeling better as a result - so don't be too disappointed if he sticks to an NHS line.
I would have the Flu jab if offered and mention it if it's not - you're in a risk group and are therefore entitled to it.
I have never been to see a dietitian - I doubt if you'll learn much now if you do.

S

paragliderpete

Hi In addition to the other posters, there are a number of other things you need to make sure happens.
1) You are entitled to free prescriptions as a diabetic, you can get a form from the doctors or chemists. The doctor will have to sign it. Keep all reciepts for prescitions you have to pay for before you get your exemption, as you can get your costs back
2) make sure you have a nueropathy check, normally done by the diabetic nurse at your own surgery.
3) make sure that you are put forward for retinopathy checks, this will check your eyes for damage. It could take a while for an appointment, and could be at hospital or your local surgery, depending on facilities.
4) get copies of all your test results, You are entitled to them , although some do gripe about giving you them.

In addition to the above . They will probaly try putting you on a statin for cholesterol, and aspirin to protect your heart. You may want to read up on these as many feel they are not required, myself included. You will find that as you bring your diabetes under control, many thing like cholesterol will also normalise without the need for medication.

If you don't mind blood tests, and they have not already been done , ask for liver and thyriod function tests. At future reviews normally within 3 to 6 months of diagnosis make sure these tests are included routinely.

Hope this helps , best of luck