23 weeks and high blood sugar

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , I m 23 weeks , after meal my blood sugar is constant high between 8.5 to 9.5 ... Had an appointment with my endo he said I already taking too much insulin . 30 units novorapid with each meal and levemir is 27 at bedtime , 12 before breakfast .... Doc said this will b a lot more by the end of pregnancy... Really confused what to do ...???? How to control after meal sugar ?
A1c at conception 6.6
Latest a1c is 4.7

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Pooja80, don't fret, there's 'probably' a solution. I see you state in your profile that you're T2 so I take it that your diabetes really didn't start with the pregnancy?

Tell the nice folks on the forums what you're eating on a typical day.

Welcome to the forums.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Pooja80
welcome to the forum :)
would be great to know what you are eating.

has the dietician spoken to you at all recently ( since pregnancy ?/)

and what are your bloods before meals too ??

8.5 - 9.5 after meals is not terrible , especially if you are below 7.0 before meals.

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm not sure if this is helpful, I'm type one and my insulin requirements kept going up so they also gave me metformin, which helps the insulin resistance. Maybe you could ask your consultant about it! It worked wonders for me. Hope you get sorted soon

Reactions: 2 people

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi pooja, I'm type 1 so don't know if this will work for you but I've found increasing the time between jag and eating has helped, and not eating carbs till sugars are below 5, even if that means waiting an hour or more / checking every half hour (breakfast typically, can take over an hour to come down 1 mmol). Diabetic nurse said it was a bit risky (ie if something happens and you can't get meal you risk a bad hypo) but I never go anywhere without food and would eat sooner if I had to drive, or go to an appointment /meeting etc, even if it means a one off high.

As others have suggested, knowing what you eat might help others to help you. If your meal is high GI, for example, a handful of nuts or other protein might reduce the spike a bit. Do you carb count / have an insulin:carb ratio? I was advised not to cut carbs, although dont consume that many anyway, but I know a lot of women find that's the only way to control sugars in pregnancy.

My insulin requirements jumped a lot after 20 weeks - was taking around 18u levimir (split across 2 jags) and 1u humalog (similar to novo rapid) per 10g carbs at that point, now on 42u levimir and 1:3 insulin:carb ratio. Haven't increased it for a few weeks now but on maternity leave so not stuck at desk for 8hrs/day - if you're not already, I highly recommend being as active as possible, good for preparing body for labour as well as keeping on top of sugars! (With advice from doctor etc if you have any complications obviously).

But, at 4.7, your hba1c is perfect (much better than mine!) so try not to panic. I was advised it was the hba1c that mattered, not the one off readings. Also, my insulin requirements changed almost weekly between 20 & 32 weeks - you just get on top of sugars and then you're back to square 1 - you can only do your best.

Hope alls well with your pregnancy otherwise

Reactions: 3 people

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Ps, how often do you check sugars? Just wondering if you're missing hypos if getting frequent readings of 8.5-9.5 but a1c is 4.7? might be worth setting alarm and checking through night incase you're going low - body self correcting can cause rebound highs. docs suggested I REDUCED insulin when I was getting highs early on which didn't seem right but did actually work. Watch what you treat hypos with too, I used to take it as a licence to eat anything and everything but am strict with 15g of fast acting carbs now which avoids the post hypo spikes.

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for ur suggestion ...
Urbanrcer and himtoo: I m have type 2 for last 6 years ...
I m seeing a high risk pregnancy clinic , hving appointment with endo and dietician every 15 days ... That is what I have eating since I got pregnant . Being vegetarian this my eating pattern
Breakfast : 20 -30 g of carb( whole wheat bread) n cheese n veggies ..
Lunch : 30g carb n veggies and Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
Dinner : lentil or beans or chickpea , 20 g carb( multigrain Indian bread) ..
Bed time 1 cup milk
Snacks : mid morning 1 glass of milk n nuts
Mid aftenoon ..one fruit

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Becky :I will ask my doctor about metformin in next visit , I took it until 12 weeks .. Then they switched me on insulin ...

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cleo82 ... Thank you so much for sharing ur expirence and suggestion .. Wil thy to be active as much as possible .. I test my blood sugar around 8 times a days , once in the night , but never gone below 4 ... Thanks a lot for ur input , I m sure that will help a lot ...