3 weeks pregnant... Help!!

Mrsstevo2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello ladies,
I confirmed last night that I am 3 weeks pregnant, me and my husband are absolutely overjoyed.
I had suspected this however as my bloods have been elevated for the past week and I have been correcting like mad.
It seems that they are generally running higher all day (rather than specific times of the day) I have been on an insulin pump for nearly 3 months now and love it but I'm unsure what to do with it at the moment to stop the high bms. I bolus 30-45 minutes before meals and eat low(ish) carb (around 100 per day) I'm wondering if I should put a temporary basal on today and see how it goes....
I am making an appointment with the Gp tonight to get me referred to the diabetes antenatal clinic and would hope to speak to my DSN at some point this week (difficult as I work 9-5)
I just wondered if you had any advice??
Thank you ❤

Ps, my hba1c 2 months ago was 8, but I know it is way under this now due to having brilliant control with the pump (excluding the last week haha)

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Congratulations! I found the quickest way to get referred is simply call my hospital and ask to speak to the consultant or his secretary. Everytime I've done that I've been asked to come in to the next clinic which is held weekly.

If you're unsure if your basal rate is right unfortunately that means basal testing (fasting for chunks of the day so you can monitor it properly and adjust accordingly). It's not much fun but will help. You will have to do this quite regularly as your insulin needs will go up and down at different points.

Also check your infusion set. Sometimes that can give problems.

Good luck!

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations on the pregnancy!

I would suggest you try a temporary basal rate - but remember to do lots of testing so you don't have a ton of hypos! I have a temporary basal rate on at the moment as I need to keep changing it.

I would also suggest writing down all your test results so that when you see your DSN they can help you to make effective adjustments. Definitely contact them ASAP. I just gave my DSN a ring when I was concerned about something and I found it really reassuring.

Don't forget to test before and after food. A good guide is the JDRF type 1 pregnancy one - there is a link on the forum so have a look and download the guide.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Congratulations to you both :)

I'm going to tag @azure as she recently had a baby and is a pump user, best wishes and hope all goes well.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :) And congratulations!

When I found out I was pregnant, I phoned my local Diabetes Centre as they have a special pregnancy DSN. She got me booked in to a clinic and I was seen within a few days. With no disrespect to GPs, your DSN will probably know more about diabetic pregnancy so you could give them a call. I was working full time when I found out I was pregnant. I don't know if it'd be possible for you to do, but I asked for permission to pop out and make an important medical phone call as the pregnancy DSN was only available in the mornings. Then that set me up for all the ante natal appointments I needed :)

As far as your high sugars go, thats not unusual early in pregnancy ( and later on too). If you're ok about adjusting your basal rates yourself, you could do that very cautiously and see if that helps. Are your blood sugars also spiking high after meals? If so, you may need to adjust your insulin to carb ratio.

If you're at all unsure about how to,adjust those, give your DSN a call. Mine was very helpful and very reassuring.

Are you taking folic acid?

I see you're on Metformin as well as insulin. I'm not on that so I can't comment about that, but bear in mind insulin resistance increases hugely in pregnancy, so your team may have a plan for that. I found knowing that would happen stopped me from panicking.

Have a read around this Pregnancy section too. There's a lot of info and I found it really nice to read about other women having similar issues.

Mrsstevo2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

Thank you all so much for your replies, I managed to get half an hour with the DSN today so iv had a good chat with her and have a plan as to what to do next, I need to get an appointment with the GP tomorrow then get the ball rolling. I already take the 5mg folic acid and 10mg of vitamin d.
Surprisingly my bms have been well behaved today so I haven't had to put a temp basal on. Have been testing lots and generally keeping an eye on things today.
Iv downloaded the toolkit to have a look through (bedtime reading haha) and just about to have a look through some of the threads on here. Thank you all for your advice this morning, I will probably need a lot more over the next 9 months :)

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsstevo2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
**update**
I went to see the GP last night who said I was 5 weeks!!!!! Booked in with the midwife next Thursday and going to ring the DSN tomorrow to let her know I'm further on than we thought.
Everything seems to be getting more real now, hope you don't mind me updating you but we have told no-one so its really nice to come on here and let it all out ;-)

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the update. It's nice to know how people are getting on :)

Good luck with the midwife :)

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
**update**
I went to see the GP last night who said I was 5 weeks!!!!! Booked in with the midwife next Thursday and going to ring the DSN tomorrow to let her know I'm further on than we thought.
Everything seems to be getting more real now, hope you don't mind me updating you but we have told no-one so its really nice to come on here and let it all out ;-)

Just wanted to say that you're probably as far as you thought, but doctors count pregnancy from your last period and not from the date of conception, so 2 weeks gets added on immediately. I was very surprised when I found this out. So even though I'm 24 weeks, the fetus is technically only 22 weeks - and although we say 40 weeks is typical gestation, it's actually 38 weeks from conception.

And congratulations!