31+5 growth scan :/

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

So I had my growth scan today and baby is head down but her belly is large measuring at 36 weeks and I have polyhydramnios measuring 26.2cm and the deepest pocket is 8.2cm.
They didn't seem too worried but said that I will probably deliver before 37 weeks now....so now I am freaking out! My latest hba1c was 60...not perfect but it's the lowest it has been so far and both diabetes Consultants are happy with how well I am doing diabetes wise but I can't help feel meh seeing other people's hba1c's and then mine!

I've also got to go for an ecg as my pulse was 155 but my blood pressure was fine!
So overall not a great appointment today! X

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't stress @ohitsnicola the consultants know what's best and if they don't seem worried then you shouldn't either. Are they taking about giving you a c-section earlier than 37 weeks? They discussed giving me one at 36 weeks but let me go to 38. Things can change so fast at this stage, just try relax as much as you can and go with the flow. If your baby comes a few weeks early, then they come a few weeks early, they will have all the right people in all the right places to look after your baby.

Do the best for you and your baby by controlling your sugars (which you are doing a brilliant job of by the way, it is in no way easy) I always said being diabetic doesn't bother me and being pregnant didn't bother me, but being a pregnant diabetic is the hardest thing going!!! It only took me 5 years to forget the stress of it and start thinking towards another one!!

You are doing so well just try stay calm and not worry too much X X X

D

Deleted member 83869

Don't stress @ohitsnicola the consultants know what's best and if they don't seem worried then you shouldn't either. Are they taking about giving you a c-section earlier than 37 weeks? They discussed giving me one at 36 weeks but let me go to 38. Things can change so fast at this stage, just try relax as much as you can and go with the flow. If your baby comes a few weeks early, then they come a few weeks early, they will have all the right people in all the right places to look after your baby.

Do the best for you and your baby by controlling your sugars (which you are doing a brilliant job of by the way, it is in no way easy) I always said being diabetic doesn't bother me and being pregnant didn't bother me, but being a pregnant diabetic is the hardest thing going!!! It only took me 5 years to forget the stress of it and start thinking towards another one!!

You are doing so well just try stay calm and not worry too much X X X

Stressing and worrying is my main flaw! This is definitely something I will be taking with me to CBT on Monday, as just as I was beginning to stop worrying about birth, labour etc this just throws a spanner in the works!

And no nothing was really explained to me properly at all today, and I was just too meh and in shock and feeling like a failure to question it all! The one time I actually needed my consultant there and she's in Gambia at a conference! The obstetrician said that, I will probably be induced at 36 weeks now, but to see at my next scan....but my next scan is 13th May where I will be 36+5 weeks...so how does that work? I have emailed my consultant in the mean time and am trying to chill out, but with all the fears and thoughts that currently go through my mind, it's all starting to become a reality!!! xxxx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think that's the thing! It all becomes real at some point! They should have explained it all to you at least! Hopefully your consultant will get back to you and arrange an appointment before then to put your mind at rest! Can you speak to your dsn in the mean time?

Just thinking about your high pulse? Are you feeling ok? Not feeling like you've got an infection in something?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aw Nic I'm worrying about my 32w scan before I've even got to it so must be a mare when you go n don't hear everything you were expecting, but as Sarah said in her post trust in the consultant you saw, if they didn't seem panicked about it try your best not to stress.. Totally easy for me to say though lol

Do you have weekly appointments now? I take it you'll be seeing someone before that next scan? Hopefully they will just move that one forward maybe? Well done on your hba1c, you've clearly kept working really hard at it :)

D

Deleted member 83869

I think that's the thing! It all becomes real at some point! They should have explained it all to you at least! Hopefully your consultant will get back to you and arrange an appointment before then to put your mind at rest! Can you speak to your dsn in the mean time?

Just thinking about your high pulse? Are you feeling ok? Not feeling like you've got an infection in something?

I think it has finally settled in that this is happening...if that makes sense? Well I am hoping my consultant gets back to me Monday...Tuesday the latest! I have an appointment on Thursday with the senior dietician,..she's the next best thing to my consultant ha! I don't really have a DSN...well I do but I have never seen her, as I moved to my current borough, fell pregnant and then just had my Diabetes consultant and senior dietician....the care is still ten times better than it was back where I used to live!

Pulse....I haven't a clue....my blood sugar was a 16.0 shortly after having it checked....could have been that? I haven't a clue! I feel fine....apart from the breathlessness but that;s down to the excess fluid. So I haven't a clue! I will find out when I go for my ecg! Might go on Monday...after I have dropped the cat at the vets and been to my CBT appointment! They even tried to find my pulse manually but apparently it was hard to pick up....not great, but surely if they was worried then they would have done something about it there and then???? xx

D

Deleted member 83869

Aw Nic I'm worrying about my 32w scan before I've even got to it so must be a mare when you go n don't hear everything you were expecting, but as Sarah said in her post trust in the consultant you saw, if they didn't seem panicked about it try your best not to stress.. Totally easy for me to say though lol

Do you have weekly appointments now? I take it you'll be seeing someone before that next scan? Hopefully they will just move that one forward maybe? Well done on your hba1c, you've clearly kept working really hard at it :)

I wouldn't worry about yours....I wasn't to be honest which is why I think it is why it was more of a shock to the system....your control is 100% better than mine...don't know where I am going wrong...despite the constant reassurance that I am doing brilliantly....it just doesn't feel like I am doing brilliantly you know.

Erm I have pretty much always had weekly appointments....and then when I don't my consultant emails me throughout the week, so I am never just left on my own! I am seeing my consultant again on the 29th as she is back from Gambia on the 25th....and to be honest I cannot wait!! xxx

Reactions: 3 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nic you've battled through for 32 weeks so you definitely ARE doing brilliantly!

You're lucky having weekly appointments mine have been fortnightly, not that I think it would make much difference if they were weekly cos my team are a bit useless!

Hope everything goes ok when you see your consultant xx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My scan was the same as yours, baby had a large tummy and I had Polyhydramnios too, along with a higher hba1c than required.

I felt the same as you when I found out. Nothing was explained to me, my head was in a spin and everything became extremely real extremely fast.

I got given a date for c-section at 37 weeks but baby had other ideas and I went into natural labour a few days early and my waters broke at home. No prolapse that they warn you about and no huge gush that they tell you about either, it was gradual and was a trickle to start with. I rang the hospital and went straight in, around 4 hours later I had my daughter by semi emergency section and everything went fine.

She is now 11 days old and we're at home both doing well :)

Don't worry about it, it's not as scary as it sounds. If your waters break then ring straight away, if your cord prolapses then ring emergency services and get on all 4s with your bum in the air. Like I said though, this didn't happen to me, it's a risk, but it doesn't happen to everyone.

On the plus side, once your waters break and you've given birth and all of that fluid is out it feels AMAZING!!

All the best, Claire xx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll also add that on a scan two weeks before I gave birth they told me my baby was 10.4lbs at that scan which is why I was booked in for a section, when she came she weighed 9.8lbs.

The scans aren't always right and the further along you are in pregnancy the less accurate their measurements are because the baby doesn't fit on the screen properly. (My obstetrician told me this) they use the measurements as a guide, not as a fact when they get to this size :)

Claire xx

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

My scan was the same as yours, baby had a large tummy and I had Polyhydramnios too, along with a higher hba1c than required.

I felt the same as you when I found out. Nothing was explained to me, my head was in a spin and everything became extremely real extremely fast.

I got given a date for c-section at 37 weeks but baby had other ideas and I went into natural labour a few days early and my waters broke at home. No prolapse that they warn you about and no huge gush that they tell you about either, it was gradual and was a trickle to start with. I rang the hospital and went straight in, around 4 hours later I had my daughter by semi emergency section and everything went fine.

She is now 11 days old and we're at home both doing well :)

Don't worry about it, it's not as scary as it sounds. If your waters break then ring straight away, if your cord prolapses then ring emergency services and get on all 4s with your bum in the air. Like I said though, this didn't happen to me, it's a risk, but it doesn't happen to everyone.

On the plus side, once your waters break and you've given birth and all of that fluid is out it feels AMAZING!!

All the best, Claire xx
How do you know if your cord has prolapsed though? All I'm feeling is really out of breathe! What was your hba1c? I just want everything to be okay! And can't help thinking it won't be! Your post has made me feel slightly better though!

And congratulations on the birth of your daughter :) xxx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do you know if your cord has prolapsed though? All I'm feeling is really out of breathe! What was your hba1c? I just want everything to be okay! And can't help thinking it won't be! Your post has made me feel slightly better though!

And congratulations on the birth of your daughter :) xxx

Thank you :)

Without sounding crude it will be hanging out of you. If it's came out, you will know about it!

I know it's a worry I was the same, there's nothing you can do about it though and what will be will be. They will keep a very close eye on you and will try and get you in before anything happens.
I know what you mean about being out of breath. I couldn't even roll over in bed without being out of puff. On the plus side, as soon as she was out all of the horrible symptoms went away immediately apart from swollen feet & legs which took a couple of days.
I will advise you to take it easy after birth though, I felt so much better after that I overdid it a couple of days and suffered for it.

My hba1c was in the 7s, can't remember exactly but it was higher than they wanted it to be. All you can do now is relax as much as you can and keep an eye on your levels (easier said than done I know!)
Your baby is now fully formed so no harm will come to its development. All high bgs mean now are your baby will continue to grow large and if it does, they'll probably give you a section like they did with me.
As I said, the scans aren't that accurate anymore so baby might not be as big as they think. Mine wasn't.

Hope this helps! xx

D

Deleted member 83869

Without sounding crude it will be hanging out of you. If it's came out, you will know about it!

I know it's a worry I was the same, there's nothing you can do about it though and what will be will be. They will keep a very close eye on you and will try and get you in before anything happens.
I know what you mean about being out of breath. I couldn't even roll over in bed without being out of puff. On the plus side, as soon as she was out all of the horrible symptoms went away immediately apart from swollen feet & legs which took a couple of days.
I will advise you to take it easy after birth though, I felt so much better after that I overdid it a couple of days and suffered for it.

My hba1c was in the 7s, can't remember exactly but it was higher than they wanted it to be. All you can do now is relax as much as you can and keep an eye on your levels (easier said than done I know!)
Your baby is now fully formed so no harm will come to its development. All high bgs mean now are your baby will continue to grow large and if it does, they'll probably give you a section like they did with me.
As I said, the scans aren't that accurate anymore so baby might not be as big as they think. Mine wasn't.

Hope this helps! xx
Oh blimey that does sound crude.....it's rare though isn't it? They didn't even warn me of that just said that what I've got isn't good and the obstetrician said that it's because of my control but they don't know about my control... it's relatively good now but my hba1c isn't perfect (7.6) because it was high pre-pregnancy the only people that do understand is my consultant and dietician sigh!

I really don't want a c section!! I mean if it's gotta be done then it's gotta be done but it just scares me now! Xx

D

Deleted member 83869

Hope this helps! xx
Oh and yes turning over in bed is a bloody mission lol! As well as stairs hahaha

D

Deleted member 83869

Nic you've battled through for 32 weeks so you definitely ARE doing brilliantly!

You're lucky having weekly appointments mine have been fortnightly, not that I think it would make much difference if they were weekly cos my team are a bit useless!

Hope everything goes ok when you see your consultant xx
Yeah mine have been good it was just this last appointment that wasn't but I didn't see my usual people lol so maybe that's why sigh I don't know lol xx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh blimey that does sound crude.....it's rare though isn't it? They didn't even warn me of that just said that what I've got isn't good and the obstetrician said that it's because of my control but they don't know about my control... it's relatively good now but my hba1c isn't perfect (7.6) because it was high pre-pregnancy the only people that do understand is my consultant and dietician sigh!

I really don't want a c section!! I mean if it's gotta be done then it's gotta be done but it just scares me now! Xx
Yeah I think it's rare, what happens is that because there's more water in there, there is more room for baby to float about than normal meaning that they're not as tightly snug and engaged as they could be. Because of this your waters could break and the cord could slip down below baby and come out first. When I found out about it I did a lot of asking around on different forums as well as this one and not a single person said that they had a prolapse. Not one. This doesn't mean to say that it doesn't happen but it does mean that out of all of the people I asked, 0% had it happen to them and it didn't happen to me either.
If it does happen, get on all 4s, bum up and ring an ambulance and they will know what to do. Don't try and push it back in, just leave it alone.

I got told the same about it being my control too and I came away feeling really sh*tty about myself. It isn't our fault. My hba1c had been in the 6s right up until near the end so to me, that was a load of **** and just another rubbish thing is diabetics are prone to. My sonographer said that its really common in diabetics and didn't seem concerned about it at all.

I didn't want a c-section either and I was absolutely gutted when I found out I had to have one, I was given a weeks notice and I cried for the first few days. The thought of an operation was terrifying but honestly, it's not that bad at all. It doesn't hurt when you have it done and it's over within an hour.
It does hurt a little bit in the first few days after but not like you expect it to, it's more an ache, not sore and the hospital will give you all the pain relief they can and it works, they send you home with loads too.
You might not even end up having one! I had one because of predicted big baby not Polyhydramnios anyway.

Stairs are a nightmare, getting your own socks and shoes on and off is a nightmare and if I dropped anything on the floor it stayed there until my partner got home to pick it up! it's not a good time but it's not forever!

xxx

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Yeah I think it's rare, what happens is that because there's more water in there, there is more room for baby to float about than normal meaning that they're not as tightly snug and engaged as they could be. Because of this your waters could break and the cord could slip down below baby and come out first. When I found out about it I did a lot of asking around on different forums as well as this one and not a single person said that they had a prolapse. Not one. This doesn't mean to say that it doesn't happen but it does mean that out of all of the people I asked, 0% had it happen to them and it didn't happen to me either.
If it does happen, get on all 4s, bum up and ring an ambulance and they will know what to do. Don't try and push it back in, just leave it alone.

I got told the same about it being my control too and I came away feeling really sh*tty about myself. It isn't our fault. My hba1c had been in the 6s right up until near the end so to me, that was a load of **** and just another rubbish thing is diabetics are prone to. My sonographer said that its really common in diabetics and didn't seem concerned about it at all.

I didn't want a c-section either and I was absolutely gutted when I found out I had to have one, I was given a weeks notice and I cried for the first few days. The thought of an operation was terrifying but honestly, it's not that bad at all. It doesn't hurt when you have it done and it's over within an hour.
It does hurt a little bit in the first few days after but not like you expect it to, it's more an ache, not sore and the hospital will give you all the pain relief they can and it works, they send you home with loads too.
You might not even end up having one! I had one because of predicted big baby not Polyhydramnios anyway.

Stairs are a nightmare, getting your own socks and shoes on and off is a nightmare and if I dropped anything on the floor it stayed there until my partner got home to pick it up! it's not a good time but it's not forever!

xxx
Yeah when I have looked on forums about it not one person has mentioned that it happened to them....just about how quickly they dilated hahaa!

Was your bubba in the head down position for your scans? Mine has been for the last two!

Part of me wants a c section just so it's over and done with but that's only like 5% of me that wants it!

Ah I know everything is such bloody hard work lol! And I'm sleeping so much lately! I went to bed about 11 last night didn't sleep till like midnight though and then didn't wake up until 2pm like what? And I'm still tired haha xxx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah when I have looked on forums about it not one person has mentioned that it happened to them....just about how quickly they dilated hahaa!

Was your bubba in the head down position for your scans? Mine has been for the last two!

Part of me wants a c section just so it's over and done with but that's only like 5% of me that wants it!

Ah I know everything is such bloody hard work lol! And I'm sleeping so much lately! I went to bed about 11 last night didn't sleep till like midnight though and then didn't wake up until 2pm like what? And I'm still tired haha xxx
Yep, head down in every scan after 30 weeks but didn't engage properly until the day I went into labour and my waters had gone, it's good that yours is head down, that'll go in your favour :)

C sections are over really quickly. I'm
Grateful that I went into labour because I'm pleased that I know what it feels like, I'm equally pleased that I didn't go all the way and experience how much more it could hurt!!

I slept a lot too, make the most of it!! I'm sure I'm not the first person to tell you this but seriously, once baby is here, you will realise what tired feels like it's exhausting! Worth it, but exhausting all the same!

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and put your feet up as much as you can. I didn't swell until I was further along than you but it was bad and hurt a bit too. If you can prevent it starting or being bad then do xxx

D

Deleted member 83869

Yep, head down in every scan after 30 weeks but didn't engage properly until the day I went into labour and my waters had gone, it's good that yours is head down, that'll go in your favour :)

C sections are over really quickly. I'm
Grateful that I went into labour because I'm pleased that I know what it feels like, I'm equally pleased that I didn't go all the way and experience how much more it could hurt!!

I slept a lot too, make the most of it!! I'm sure I'm not the first person to tell you this but seriously, once baby is here, you will realise what tired feels like it's exhausting! Worth it, but exhausting all the same!

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and put your feet up as much as you can. I didn't swell until I was further along than you but it was bad and hurt a bit too. If you can prevent it starting or being bad then do xxx

Oooo wonder if that will be the case with me ha! Apologies for not replying sooner btw...I am terrible on this site haha!
Why did you have to have a c section in the end?? Because of how big she was?

I am dreading what real tiredness feels like if this isn't tiredness now hahaha!

I am dreading labour now.....I am a mega wuss haha! xxxx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oooo wonder if that will be the case with me ha! Apologies for not replying sooner btw...I am terrible on this site haha!
Why did you have to have a c section in the end?? Because of how big she was?

I am dreading what real tiredness feels like if this isn't tiredness now hahaha!

I am dreading labour now.....I am a mega wuss haha! xxxx

Yeah it was because she was big. On a scan two weeks before I had her she measured 10lbs 4 and the doctors said it would be dangerous for me to attempt to deliver a baby of that size because she could have gotten stuck. Turned out she wasn't that big anyway!

Haha it's very tiring! Seriously, sleep in the day! They may not be awake for too long in the nights but it's long enough to make you knackared permanently!

Labour will hurt, c sections hurt, but you really do forget about it afterwards.

xxx