3yrs type 2 today have official reversal confirmation.

Richard.l

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sugar
Never thought id be posting this, I have been a diet controlled type 2 diabetic for 3 yrs never thought id reverse the condition, but after blood results over last 12 months giving pre diabetic levels then normal levels on last bloods. I did a glucose test Monday 12th sept 2016 and results received today shows no diabetic signs.(reading twelve hour fast 4.7mmol/l and after glucose test 2hrs 3.6mmol/l) meaning I'm coming off my gp diabetic register. So there is hope never give up guys.

L

_lyn_lyn_1963

that's amazing Richard that you never gave up for three years, I don't know if I could of had faith that long, I reversed in 6 ish months going sugar free, or as near as dam it.what did you eat and what did you not eat, and how often.?

Reactions: Prem51

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations @Richard.l its brilliant news .. sadly hell will freeze over before my Drs will ever say my diabetes is reversed to get me off the register

Richard.l

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sugar
that's amazing Richard that you never gave up for three years, I don't know if I could of had faith that long, I reversed in 6 ish months going sugar free, or as near as dam it.what did you eat and what did you not eat, and how often.?
Thanks I gave up everything including wheat/bread lost 4stone initial never got the magical reversal but maintained with diet alone so was amazed why it took three years, gave up hope of reversing thought it may be because I work permanent night shift so can I blame that ill never know.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I gave up everything including wheat/bread lost 4stone initial never got the magical reversal but maintained with diet alone so was amazed why it took three years, gave up hope of reversing thought it may be because I work permanent night shift so can I blame that ill never know.

@Richard.l

If the photo in your avatar is recent then you're sporting what looks like quite the muscular build? What may I ask have you done over the last 3 years in terms of exercise or weightlifting, apart from altering your diet?
Thanks in advance!

LBTB

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take it you are like me and can now eat high sugar / carbs without it affecting your sugar levels ... and how wonderful your Dr allowed another fasting glucose test .. in my Drs its just out of the question .. you are very lucky to have a forward thinking Dr.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Richard.l

I hope that you have actually changed your eating tastes and preferences, going back to higher sugar / carbs is playing with fire, in my opinion. I suppose it's and an advantage if you totally adjust to your new diet and have no yearning to go back to your old ways, I hope that's true for you.

All the best for your future of good health.

Fergum10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
celery!
Never thought id be posting this, I have been a diet controlled type 2 diabetic for 3 yrs never thought id reverse the condition, but after blood results over last 12 months giving pre diabetic levels then normal levels on last bloods. I did a glucose test Monday 12th sept 2016 and results received today shows no diabetic signs.(reading twelve hour fast 4.7mmol/l and after glucose test 2hrs 3.6mmol/l) meaning I'm coming off my gp diabetic register. So there is hope never give up guys.
Thats brilliant. Well done!

Richard.l

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sugar
@Richard.l

If the photo in your avatar is recent then you're sporting what looks like quite the muscular build? What may I ask have you done over the last 3 years in terms of exercise or weightlifting, apart from altering your diet?
Thanks in advance!

LBTB
Hi LBTB I started training at home multi gym free weights, the avatar is around the point I was 12 stone ish I progressed from home workouts to joining a gym last November 2015, 12 stone wasn't my natural weight I steadily went back to 13 stone before joining the gym. I plateaued training at home so I needed to do more. Today I am 14stone 3lbs hitting the gym regular I do more bodybuilding type workouts and always Finnish with cardio 2hrs sessions don't do strength/weight training. Although not plain sailing as low carbs had unwanted effects. I had to add maltodextrin,dextrose,carbarley,karbolynn to my workouts as my body couldn't cope but that's another story. I always kept protein as a key in my diet and fibre also water (lots). I was using a meter for 3 years to test foods and effect of exercise on my blood sugars not provided by gp.

Richard.l

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sugar
I take it you are like me and can now eat high sugar / carbs without it affecting your sugar levels ... and how wonderful your Dr allowed another fasting glucose test .. in my Drs its just out of the question .. you are very lucky to have a forward thinking Dr.

Hi unfortunately I have fallen out of love with sugar and only use carbs when I need them. I have the once bitten twice shy syndrome. Never had an initial glucose test was diagnosed on back of a hip pain and was left with seeing nurse for 3 years who was the one to initiate glucose test. Wish doctors were forward thinking but not In my case.

Richard.l

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sugar
Well done @Richard.l

I hope that you have actually changed your eating tastes and preferences, going back to higher sugar / carbs is playing with fire, in my opinion. I suppose it's and an advantage if you totally adjust to your new diet and have no yearning to go back to your old ways, I hope that's true for you.

All the best for your future of good health.

Hi once bitten twice shy, I view food and life in totally different way my body was struggling so its up to me to look after it and live smart.Thanks

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Richard.l You might want to look at 'The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance' by Phinney and Voleck. I can't say it definitely covers bodybuilding, but I have 'The Art and Science of Low Carb Living' which I thoroughly enjoyed and found incredibly reassuring and I have read very good reviews of the 'Performance' one, might be perfect for you.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations @Richard.l its brilliant news .. sadly hell will freeze over before my Drs will ever say my diabetes is reversed to get me off the register
@Enclave I"m the same - I've had non diabetic hba1c for the last 3 years but was told 'once a diabetic always a diabetic' yet there's some forum members with higher hba1cs ( mine is currently 36) who have been taken off the register. I'm beginning to wonder if my practice gets paid for every diabetic they have and, as I'm 'cheap' ie no medication, appointment once a year etc they are making money out of me!

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Enclave I"m the same - I've had non diabetic hba1c for the last 3 years but was told 'once a diabetic always a diabetic' yet there's some forum members with higher hba1cs ( mine is currently 36) who have been taken off the register. I'm beginning to wonder if my practice gets paid for every diabetic they have and, as I'm 'cheap' ie no medication, appointment once a year etc they are making money out of me!

Isn't there a downside to being on the register? Won't it make your travel insurance more expensive for instance? Stable with an hBa1c so low, I would think you can insist on coming off the register, if that's what you want.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi LBTB I started training at home multi gym free weights, the avatar is around the point I was 12 stone ish I progressed from home workouts to joining a gym last November 2015, 12 stone wasn't my natural weight I steadily went back to 13 stone before joining the gym. I plateaued training at home so I needed to do more. Today I am 14stone 3lbs hitting the gym regular I do more bodybuilding type workouts and always Finnish with cardio 2hrs sessions don't do strength/weight training. Although not plain sailing as low carbs had unwanted effects. I had to add maltodextrin,dextrose,carbarley,karbolynn to my workouts as my body couldn't cope but that's another story. I always kept protein as a key in my diet and fibre also water (lots). I was using a meter for 3 years to test foods and effect of exercise on my blood sugars not provided by gp.
Thanks for this information, this is the strategy I have almost adopted, being low carb, cardio and getting towards vicious weight training, as I think if I am to have a chance at reversal I need to clear visceral fat. Some of the research I have read suggests that weight training is the extremely efficient at burning fat, well done.