4.4 morning reading

Hi there

I've just been told I'm a new diabetic (not been told what type) but can't have an assessment for another 3 weeks as it's under control. I've purchased a meter because I've been feeling awful. It's very out of the blue as there are no factors that would put me in the 'at risk' category for diabetes.

My morning result is around 4.4 and I tested before I exercise in the afternoon and it dropped to 4.4 again (had lunch about 1.5 hours before) Is this low? I start to feel wobbly and lightheaded. Am I right in thinking I should have a snack before I exercise when it's low 4s?

This is all new to me so sorry for the incompetence

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Travelbyseahorse. If you are a Type 2 then 4.4 at any time would be excellent, once fat / keto adapted, as you would become accustomed to this lower normal (I and others get circa 3.8 to around 4.5 at the optimal end of remission / good control). You would feel rotten to start with if this is not your normal.

I think you should get a CGM such as the Freestyle Libre. This will show (fully) what is going on pre / post / eating and exercise. To be assessed as diabetic your blood glucose must bring high at times, unless you are on medication that influences HbA1C results, or some condition rarely seen.

What seems clear is that you are producing an adequate level of insulin at present that is clearing the blood stream of glucose, as a 4.4 fbg is hard to get for an insulin resistant Type 2 or someone newly diagnosed.

Maybe you were just in the diabetic range and if you have changed your eating patterns are a hyper responder (especially if you are doing keto). If this is the case your electrolytes could be out of wack; it would be prudent to use daily some "lo salt" (for potassium and sodium in balance) and have 2 squares of 100% dark chocolate (Montezuma) to get Magnesium. Neither of these will cause you harm, but could be your magic bullet. Check that your meals are aligned to these types of examples on Diet Doctor

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...DpZXLKYdIscgKVsDYN8zT3QIBjjILQhwaAnhkEALw_wcB

Reactions: Travelbyseahorse

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Travelbyseahorse and welcome to the forums. (I love your username by the way).

Normal blood sugars are from 4 to 8 mmol/L (can spike a bit higher after meals) so though 4.4 is on the low side of normal it shouldn't really be giving you any issues, assuming you are not on any diabetic medication.

However if your levels have been running higher for a while you can get false hypoglycemic symptoms when your blood sugar is in fact still in the normal range, just because your body isn't used to those levels. Feeling wobbly and light headed is the sort of symptom you associate with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), though I imagine it can have other causes as well.

But your doctor must have done some sort of test to tell you that you are diabetic. Did you by any chance get given an hba1c figure? (A number of 48 or more will have triggered the diabetic diagnosis, though he or she may have used different diagnostic criteria.)

Thanks for your responses. I have a haemoglobin trait which meant they had to do a serum fructosamine test - this was 296.

I've eaten (wholemeal toast with marmite, yoghurt and nuts) and my blood sugar level is now 5.4 (about an hour after)

I have ordered a couple of the Freestyle Libre sensors because, as you said, I'd like to be able to monitor other factors. I like to run/ cycle but this has really knocked my confidence and I'm worried I'm going to have a hypo.

Thank you again - so lovely to speak to others.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Thanks for your responses. I have a haemoglobin trait which meant they had to do a serum fructosamine test - this was 296.

296 is only marginally high, most doctors would not diagnose diabetes on the strength of one slightly high test, particularly if you have abnormal haemoglobin, which is known to move test values. Did they adjust for albumin?

I've eaten (wholemeal toast with marmite, yoghurt and nuts) and my blood sugar level is now 5.4 (about an hour after)

I have ordered a couple of the Freestyle Libre sensors because, as you said, I'd like to be able to monitor other factors. I like to run/ cycle but this has really knocked my confidence and I'm worried I'm going to have a hypo.

Thank you again - so lovely to speak to others.
That's a lovely insulin response. For comparison, my sugar level would be at 20 and climbing.

If you're hypoing after eating it might be worth looking at reactive hypoglycaemia, basically hypos within four hours of eating as your body overreacts and produces too much insulin.

You're probably aware of cycling gels, these can also be used to treat hypos. You actually want the high glucose ones, not the ones designed for slower carbohydrate release. These are small and easy to take with you and also easy to open when you are feeling shaky. Don't give up on cycling.

I don't know if they adjusted the value or not to be honest. I've spoken to a couple of Dr's and they just said to wait for my appt with the diabetic nurse.

Blood result said:

Serum fructosamine level 293 umol/L
Non diabetic 215-264 umol/L
Diabetic (well controlled) 264-320 umol/L
Diabetic (poorly controlled) 320-476 umol/L

I just know I don't feel right :( had other blood tests but all ok apart from a slightly low folate... taking folic acid for that now.

Good idea on the gels... I normally take a carton of fruit juice or some haribo in case I feel weird. Having the flash monitor should help as I can't take the other set out to prick whilst cycling.