5 Months... From ICU/DKA to top of a mountain

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a bit of a positive story from me this weekend. I was meaning to try and climb a famous mountain in Ireland for a long time, but decided it was something I wanted to aim for after diagnosis.

Didn't think I would get it done so soon after being in Intensive Care with DKA on diagnosis, but my good friend asked me would I give it a go yesterday and we headed off early. I found it incredibly difficult, thinking of quitting nearly half way up, but thanks to some pure thickness in me and my friend pushing me on, I made it. Managed it on no carbs in the morning, but 7 jelly babies along the way...!

Very proud of myself to get this done in 5 months. Probed to myself I don't give up. Hopefully it gives some of you a confidence boost.

IMG-20180331-WA0018.jpg

20180331_123625.jpg

20180331_120142.jpg

20180331_114901.jpg

20180331_114613.jpg

20180331_101535.jpg

20180331_114615.jpg

Reactions: Kim Possible

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! Fantastic views!

Reactions: JoeT1

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well done joe you are an inspiration and its nice to read a positive post from a fellow type 1 :happy:

Reactions: Dodo

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a beautiful story to read on Easter Sunday, @JoeT1, and a magnificent achievement. Well done! And thank you for posting those gorgeous photo, especially the second one - that is breath-taking. Fabulous to see, especially on a very rainy weekend (although we have a bit of sun at the moment)!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fantastic! Both your achievement and the views. Hopefully good for your mental health too.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Beautiful pictures @JoeT1! What a glorious view! And what a stupendous achievement, well done!

Reactions: Dodo

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a bit of a positive story from me this weekend. I was meaning to try and climb a famous mountain in Ireland for a long time, but decided it was something I wanted to aim for after diagnosis.

Didn't think I would get it done so soon after being in Intensive Care with DKA on diagnosis, but my good friend asked me would I give it a go yesterday and we headed off early. I found it incredibly difficult, thinking of quitting nearly half way up, but thanks to some pure thickness in me and my friend pushing me on, I made it. Managed it on no carbs in the morning, but 7 jelly babies along the way...!

Very proud of myself to get this done in 5 months. Probed to myself I don't give up. Hopefully it gives some of you a confidence boost.

View attachment 25960
View attachment 25961
View attachment 25962
View attachment 25963
View attachment 25964
View attachment 25965
View attachment 25966
fabulous pictures and views

Reactions: Dodo and JoeT1

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful Joe. Thanks for the story. I have been enjoying the pilgrimage of the Camino De Santiago on TV but I reckon your pilgrimage is more inspiring and better photos.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wonderful Joe. Thanks for the story. I have been enjoying the pilgrimage of the Camino De Santiago on TV but I reckon your pilgrimage is more inspiring and better photos.

Been watching too. Think I would like to do something like that also. I go to Spain in June, will try and take in some big walks while I am there. I struggled yesterday, but know my level now.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Brilliant story @JoeT1 - you did incredibly well and it’s such a great confidence boost as well so soon after diagnosis - onwards and upwards :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been watching too. Think I would like to do something like that also. I go to Spain in June, will try and take in some big walks while I am there. I struggled yesterday, but know my level now.
Why not? Just dont do the whole Camino yet. Walking with views is the best.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Tremendous views and a great accomplishment, well done that man!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good on yer, Joe! Onwards and, literally, upwards!

Recently dx'd are often understandably cautious in the first few months and think there's going to be a lot of restrictions, so it's always encouraging reading about them starting to push the edges after a while and realising how much can still be done. Practically nothing which can't be done provided there's a bag of jelly babies handy!

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes joe, that’s what we like to hear and see. What awesome views you must you must of had, not as awesome as you must of felt supping the air at the top and felling literally on top of the world looking down at where you came from. Nothing should hold you back being a type one it certainly hasn’t me. I’m more of a cyclist than walker, doesn’t stop us climbing high peaks though. We’ve even rode and carried our bikes up snowdon.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a trip @JoeT1 - ICU to hilltop. It does look a bit chilly up there though.