a bit confused

ronnie794

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
hi all
i am totally confused
i am confused because i read another post where the member said they had an OGTT and at 120 min result was 7.8, so were told T2. my surgery does,nt even do this test but i always
thought that after 2hrs a result of over 11 was diagnostic of diabetes. have i got this right.

hallii

It depends on which version of the test is being done and the opinion of the doctor who interprets it.

Over 11 is clearly diabetic, 7 or over is not normal so doctors might call it " impaired glucose tolerance " or "pre-diabetic"
which is a bit like saying "a bit diebetic". The docs don't say " your a bit got the flu" or " you have a mild case of broken leg" so my opinion is that over 7 shows diabetes, it may be in the early stages but it is a diabetic response to glucose.

So a doctor might interpret a result of over 7 as diabetic, he/she would be right. Another doctor might call it something else.

As the Bard said " A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

H

ronnie794

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
hi halli
it,s a bit of a mine field ,it,s not just what it,s doing to your body it,s brain wrenching as well.

hallii

Your right Ronnie, and we are not the only ones who are confused, not all proffesionals are as knowledable as they coluld be.

H