a cholestorial level of 5.3 a problem?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, even more confusion!
To calculate total in mmol you need to add the HDL, LDL and trig/2.2 (the factor of 5 applies in mg/dl)
so 2.3+4.4 +(1.61/2.2) =7.43
see
http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Hyperlipidaemia.htm
In fact in most cases they do not count the LDL, they calculate it using a formula like the one given in the link above. In some cases this formula is not used, but the lab test result should quote the formula.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Yes its odd. The HDL and LDL were on a printed sheet with the Lab name on it. The total and trigs were on another hand-written sheet looking almost as though it had come from somewhere else it didn't say where it was from. Maybe the latter were actually done at the Doctor's surgery? Not very professional that! I didn't think about including the decimal places in my calculation as it was .0 something.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am totally confused (doesnt take much) .My HDL=2.4 LDL2.5 TRIGS 0.97 where does that leave me.
CAROL

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Phoenix said:
To calculate total in mmol you need to add the HDL, LDL and trig/2.2 (the factor of 5 applies in mg/dl)

****! That makes my TC 10.55!!!

(2+4+ (10/2.2)=10.55

I'm in deep **** no matter how you look at that! :(

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Carol:
2.4+2.5=4.9
+0.97/2.2= ).44
= total cholesterol 5.34mmol/l

Patch, the calculation doesn't apply to you
the Friedewald formula is inaccurate when plasma triglyceride concentration exceeds 400 mg/dL (4.52 mmol/L) They may have done a direct count for your LDL.
http://www.labtestsonline.org.uk/understanding/analytes/dldl/test.html

But as I said we are actually doing it backwards... they measure the total cholesterol, the triglycerides, the HDL and then calculate/estimate the LDL.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :? :? :?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
My latest calculations (!) make it 7.43 whereas the lab said 8.4 so its a bit better but still too high.

Phoenix this is too complicated for me now I give up :D Thanks though. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
murray45 said:
Have a read of this it will open your eyes "The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr Malcolm Kendrick"

It wouldn't open my eyes murray, and I certainly wouldn't waste my money on this book! Much prefer to stick with the mainstream advice given by my HCP. My fathers cardiologist said that keeping cholesterol levels within range was vitally important in preventing and treating heart disease, so who's advice do you think I should would take on board?..........a experienced and well respected cardiac surgeon or the good Dr Kendrick........a hard decision to make! (not)

Having diabetes makes us more susceptible to heart disease and to ignore the cholesterol advice given by our HCP would be very foolish indeed in my view.

Nigel

Sue Morton

Satins have a side effect of giving muscle cramps and muscle weakness - your heart is a muscle.

I believe and this is my own personnel view that satins could be dangerous. The best thing to do is to watch what you eat which we have to do as diabetics and if you avoid the bad LDL's then gradually your cholestrol should eventually go down. I would have thought.

I have a test coming up on 13 Sept so I am hoping that my cholestrol will have dropped from 6 to lower.

I don't know what my LDL or my HDL were so I shall ask when I get the results of this next test. If my LDL is 2 and my HDL is 4 then or within that range then I don't believe I should be worrying so long as the good HDL is higher then the bad LDL.

Who decides what level is good and what level is bad. Was it the pharmaceutical companies that make these satins as they have made a lot of money on the sale of these drugs.

If you are eating healthy and not having none of the LDL fats then shouldn't we then get a low cholestrol. Or does our own body make the LDL nautrally?

I found all the above comments interesting especially about how to calculate your level. :?

Best regards
Sue :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I understand that the ratio between HDL and LDL is more important than the total cholesterol. If I understand it correctly, to get the ratio between HDL and LDL you should divide the HDL by the LDL. My HDL is 2.3, my LDL is 4.4 which makes 0.522. I don't think this is good. Does anyone know what the ratio should be? I couldn't find it by searching the forum. (My figures are in mmol).

herisson

hi,Daisy
If you google 'www.fat freekitchen.com/cholestrol/cholestrol ldl hdl ratio ' you'll find the information you're after. In a nutshell you should try to achieve a LDL HDL ratio below 3 OR keep the HDL/LDL ratio above 0.3 with the ideal HDL/LDL ratio being above 0.4. At 0.5 (divide your HDL by your LDL )
you would be considered at low risk from a heart attack.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks herisson/hedgehog :!: for the info. So it looks good for me then. I wasn't able to read your link though. :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I don't see how with the best will in the World anybody who doesn't have access to Daisy's medical history can 'accurately' predict the CVR........other factors would have to be taken into account, such as BP,gender, smoker/non-smoker, famliy history etc. Those are the things that are used not just the measurements that have been provided.

It may well be that Diasy is at a low risk ? After all the other factors are taken into account then she may have an elevated risk. None of us can say with certainty. One method of calculation shows the risk to be moderate, but that was made using a few assumptions....not a good idea.

Daisy. If you want to know if you are at risk......go and ask your GP/Consultant. They have all your details and will tell you exactly what they think and why they think it.

Ken

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks Herisson. This time it works. So it looks pretty good then and my catastrophic total cholesterol figure (8.4) doesn't matter at all.

edit: (this was written before seeing Ken's post which changes things)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Daisy.
A TC level of 8.4 is NOT a good level, so please get the numbers checked out properly. Don't just rely on what you read here.

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes
This from a UK H.E.A.R.T foundation charity medical fact sheet.

Desirable limits for blood cholesterol levels
The main aim of treatment in most hyperlipidaemic patients is to reduce the risk of premature angina or heart attack, and to reduce the occurrence of further heart attacks in people who already suffer from coronary heart disease.

The New Joint British Society Guidelines recommend that for certain patient groups (listed below), along with lifestyle and blood pressure control the total cholesterol level should be no higher than 4 mmol/l and the LDL cholesterol should be below 2 mmol/l:
• Patients with established coronary heart disease
• Patients with other major atherosclerotic disease
• Patients with hypertension, dyslipidaemias, diabetes, family history of premature CHD, or a combination of these risk factors, which puts them at high risk of developing CHD or other atherosclerotic disease. Risk factors must not be regarded in isolation, as their interaction multiplies the risk of CHD. In addition to tackling elevated lipids, modification of co-existing factors, such as smoking and hypertension, is necessary.

Here is a link to the fact sheet.
http://www.heartuk.org.uk/images/upload ... oteins.pdf

Ken

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Oh dear. Not so good. Especially with a very bad family history and being an ex-heavy-smoker. I am surprised my endo thought it was alright. I don't think she would appreciate it if I questioned her opinion either. :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Daisy.

TBH, I think that this is something that you need to discuss more fully with your own Endo......maybe she has some reason for not sticking to those guidelines, maybe they are different in Switzerland ?
It is not something we can answer for you. We can only give you the facts from here in the UK.

Personally, my own Endo would be horrified at those figures if I presented to him with them after a blood test. He wants me below 4 at each test. My LDL is too high, but I'm working at it. Just my own experience and opinion.

Ken