A&E trip & keytone question

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
spent last night at A&E bs 34, came down so no treatment, went to see gp this morning with bs 21 so she sent me back to a&e, put me on fluids which made no difference but doc did manage to push my diabetic clinic appointment forwards so I see them tomorrow instead of May!

I've not taken any notice of keytones before but level this morning was 1.2 tested with a blood meter, what does this level mean?

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What type of diabetes have you been diagnosed with ?
are you currently on insulin or any anti-diabetic drugs (such as novorapid, metformin, lantus)?

if you are not on insulin and your blood glucose is as high as 20 you are at risk of developing diabetic ketoacidosis.

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
was diagnosed with type 2 6 yrs ago but question mark over possibly lada, on dapagflozin & gliclazide which has been tripled in two weeks was on 80mg two weeks ago, upped to 120 last weds & upped again today to 240

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
was diagnosed with type 2 6 yrs ago but question mark over possibly lada, on dapagflozin & gliclazide which has been tripled in two weeks was on 80mg two weeks ago, upped to 120 last weds & upped again today to 240

Was there no mention of insulin? All that Gliclazide is making you pancreas work overtime, and if you are producing very little natural insulin it seems insulin injections should be considered. Have you had the tests to see if you are LADA?

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When i spoke to the diabetic nurse last weds who made the app for may she said its likely I will go on insulin when i see her so hopefully that still applies tomorrow, we no longer have a diabetic nurse at our surgery so we have to go out to satellite clinics at the moment & its them who will send me off for any further tests, I did have testa a while back but only got told no further action at that time, my GP is away at the moment & he is a type 1 so am seeing him on the 10th just to clarify a couple of things as i am sure he said that I am down as a type 1 on oral meds as the system doesnt recognise lada

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

The problem seems to be that people who should be on inslin but are not, can get DKA without a very high BG when taking it, and DR often don't test for keytones if someone is feeling ill but BG is not very high. Very lickly these poeple would otherwise have got mild DKA, but the DR would have taken the correct action in good time due to high BG.

But keytones would be a lot higher then 1.2 if full DKA was in process, but drink lots of water along with having a lttile salt.