A good day today

Big_Ron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with type 2 at the beginning of October last year, I was very scared at first like I think most of us are when we are told but after finding this forum and reading lots of things on here you get more of a clearer picture of things. Upon first diagnosis my hb1ac was 64 and my cholesterol was 5.5. I have been to the doctors today to discuss my blood test results from 2 weeks ago, my hb1ac is now 33 ,cholesterol down to 5,I have had my metformin stopped and told not to take anymore pills because he can no longer call me a diabetic . I have also lost 3½ stone following a LCHF diet and doing 30 minutes on an exercise bike every night or going for a walk
I could not have done this without finding this forum and I just want to thank you all

Reactions: 12 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Congratulations Big_Ron fantastic results,well done.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Wow that's a wonderful achievement. Well done Ron

micksmixxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed with type 2 at the beginning of October last year, I was very scared at first like I think most of us are when we are told but after finding this forum and reading lots of things on here you get more of a clearer picture of things. Upon first diagnosis my hb1ac was 64 and my cholesterol was 5.5. I have been to the doctors today to discuss my blood test results from 2 weeks ago, my hb1ac is now 33 ,cholesterol down to 5,I have had my metformin stopped and told not to take anymore pills because he can no longer call me a diabetic . I have also lost 3½ stone following a LCHF diet and doing 30 minutes on an exercise bike every night or going for a walk
I could not have done this without finding this forum and I just want to thank you all

Congratulations, Big_Ron. Very well done, sir.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Awesome, stories like this give those of us recently diagnosed hope - very well done!

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Sensational Big Ron!! We all know how much work and willpower it takes. You should be very proud of what you have achieved

Reactions: 2 people

Big_Ron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will say as well my doctor does have a sense of humour because when i went in to see him he told me that there was good and bad news,the good news is the obvious bit, so then I said to him "you say that you have some bad news as well " so he turned round and said "oh yes,well since i can no longer call you diabetic you will have to start paying for your prescriptions again " I did have to laugh .

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done very impressive results sir maybe you should change your user name to notsobig-Ron?

AhA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
excellent news Ron. I am trying to do the same here and had hb1ac 4.6% last time. Now I am on merformin 500 once a day from 500 twice a day and still have some excellent readings

Reactions: 8 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Great results @Big_Ron on the reductions in Blood Sugar, weight and Cholesterol. The LCHF approach is certainly working well for you. Well done! :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will say as well my doctor does have a sense of humour because when i went in to see him he told me that there was good and bad news,the good news is the obvious bit, so then I said to him "you say that you have some bad news as well " so he turned round and said "oh yes,well since i can no longer call you diabetic you will have to start paying for your prescriptions again " I did have to laugh .
Big Ron, if you have a current exemption certificate, it remains valid for the rest of its 5 year term, even if your diabetes medication is the only thing you take and you have stopped taking it. If you have other things prescribed, they will dispensed free of charge until your exemption expires.

I know it sounds odd, but it's correct. Dr Google could explain in more detail, and point you to the official statement to that effect, I'm sure.

meJulie

Well done Big Ron, fab results, any advice? How many grams of carbs were you having, I am trying to low carb to loose weight and reduce blood sugars, but its very slow. TIA

Reactions: 8 people

Big_Ron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will have to have a look on google then about the medical exemption certificate because i have only had mine a couple of months thanks @ andbreath

Reactions: 4 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Big Ron, fab results, any advice? How many grams of carbs were you having, I am trying to low carb to loose weight and reduce blood sugars, but its very slow. TIA
I've had similar results to Ron.. try and eat as few carbs as possible (mainly salad and green veg) dropped milk in tea and coffee and went for Soya milk (unsweetened) I use the Alpro Wholebean or cream. I'm also intermittent fasting at the moment every other day. So far down 20 kilos and HbA1c from 8.6 to 5.4 or 70 to 36 in modern money..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Big_Ron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a maximum of 75gms of carbs a day,I didn't eat many vegetables before but forced myself to try lots of them ,I don't have any secret formula, i just downloaded the cookbooks from this forum and found some really good low carb ones on Pinterest , my treat to myself was a packet of Skips because they are 8grms of carbs per packet. I refuse to go back to taking pills so I am carrying on with it until I have lost a further 3 stone,hence the name big Ron

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Well done Big_Ron You must be over the moon I know I would if I was told I could come off tablets. Keep up the good work.:happy::happy: