A little confused

alison m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
cruelty to any animal or human, not being able to eat sausage rolls and pies any more,
I saw the DN on thursday, she took my BG level, it was 9.2, she said it was a little high but so long as I keep it under 10 its fine, is this right as I am new to all of this, also she wieghed me and I still have not lost any weight, I am getting fed up now. The DN and my doctor praised me for getting my BG under control but then I am eating lots of rabbit food and no junk as I call it now. Oh for a big slice of chocolate cake.

Mileana

Just now at the very start if you were diagnosed from high levels, she may be content with your progress.

9 is within the guidelines, but in my opinion it is too high.

In a normal person, the range will be roughly 4-7, seldomly up to 8.

It is normally recommended a diabetic person aim for no higher than 9 measured 2 hours after a meal. However, almost anyone should aim for no higher than 7.5 - there is lots less risk of complications at this level, and if you reduce certain foods in your diet, your blood sugar is less likely to spike.

Fasting blood sugar should be around 7, or lower if possible. Within reason, lower is better.

Cutting down on pasta, bread, rice etc and replacing the remainder with brown versions can be very helpful as the starch in those products convert to sugar easily. It is normally recommended to eat about 300g of the grain food group in a day. For a diabetic person, it is probably at lot wiser to cut that in half. If that is not enough, cut down further. Replace what you're missing with vegetables, preferably green leafy ones and add a bit more protein (meat, cheese) to your diet to make you feel full. Don't be too scared of fat - your real problem might very well be too much starch. You will find a lot more information in the low carb section - Viv's modified atkins diet is listed on there also and it is a good diet. You may follow it and omit all or most grain products, or you may choose to just cut back on carbs if you haven't already done that.

dmcd11

could anyone put a link up for viv's low carb modified atkins diet please. I've been looking for it for ages and cant find it. thank you