A low GI diet may not help your blood sugar.

A

AnnieC

I eat far more veg and salad than I do fruit as I love all vegetables but I usually have some fruit with greek yogurt as a dessert after my main meal it may be berrries, kiwi, satsumas pineapple what ever I have in really The only fruit I am not to keen on is bananas but they are my husbands favorite fruit he just has one a day now since T2 it used to be three or four

A

AnnieC

Make that an experiment of n = 2. My lipids improve on each test I take.
SAorry but what is a lipid profile
I think that's because a lot of posters low carb but not necessarily LCHF.
Also because of the many success stories through low carb, that they want to pass the message on.

Yes I think a few of us do lower carb but not so much high fat. I find it easy to eat plenty of vegetables but not so easy to have a lot of fat I use olive oil and coconut oil but I am not a red meat eater I have mostly just chicken meat is a very small part of my diet I don't like bacon or a fry up I do eat quite a lot of eggs mostly scrambled or an omlette I eat cheese but not every day and I have full fat greek yogurt and some nuts but overall my daily fat intake is not as much I have seen those that do LCHF have

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

Haha yes, this is bringing back memories of my childhood Christmases in England. We used to get an orange and some nuts in our Xmas stockings (and a little packet of penguin mints). OMG can you imagine the reaction today if we gave the kids an orange in their Santa sacks??!! We also had tangerines, mandarins, clementines and satsumas .. they were the traditional Xmas fruits in our household ..... Aunty Joy always had a box of dates or figs still on their stems alongside a box of Turkish delight (still love that stuff).

Mum used to buy 4 golden delicious apples a week from the greengrocers .. one each and that was it. As you say, the vast array of fruit available all year round we take for granted. And the wild berries growing in the hedgerows ... we pay a fortune over here for raspberries, blackberries and the like.

My fondest fruit memories are the beautiful apples my grandad grew in his garden ...he had 3 apple trees and I always remember seeing them wrapped individually in newspapers and stored in the drawers of an old chest in the spare bedroom.

Eeeeh they were the days .... and you tell kids today and they don't bluddy believe ya!
My childhood memory of fruit was the gorgeous jam my grandmother made from the loganberries in her garden, she also had gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes that she also made jam from but the loganberry was my favorite

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A great friend of mine, born 1932, died 2011, had to move house around 5 years ago.

She found an unopened pot of bramble jelly her mother had made in 1944. She had carried it through at least 3 house moves. :)

Of course she had to open it, and sample.
She said it tasted as good after 60 years in the jar as the day it was made.

Isn't that amazing? :D

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would not understand those

From Diabetes UK:

Blood fats (lipids)
Lipids are the cholesterol and triglycerides in your blood. Cholesterol is a type of fat found in all of us. You may be familiar with the term blood cholesterol, but what you may not know is that not all cholesterol is bad. Some of it, HDL (high density lipoprotein), can actually protect against heart disease. Low levels of this protective HDL cholesterol increase your risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD). However, LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol is the bad form of cholesterol in the blood. It is high levels of this type that are linked with an increased risk of heart disease. Triglycerides are another type of fat in the blood. If you have raised cholesterol and raised triglycerides you have an increased risk of CVD.

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
  • LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
  • HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
  • Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.
If you do not know your lipid levels, ask your healthcare team to arrange a simple blood test for you.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds yummy and I think that proves that natures own sugars are not bad for you
Lol ! In your previous post you suggested loads of people who have had success with LCHF for 6 years or more is not enough evidence yet 1 single person had some fruit on 1 occasion and you declare this is proof it works ?????

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I think the term LCHF is misleading .. I mean, what the heck is high fat anyway? I reckon anything that isn't low fat is considered high fat. To me it just means eating whole, full fat products the way nature intended. There are some high fat foods I generally avoid but that is because I don't consider them to be healthy foods, not because of their fat content (too much bacon, sausages, salami etc. - not for the fat content but for the nitrate/preservative content).

I must admit the high fat label does conjure up images of people sitting around eating clotted cream by the tablespoon straight from the tub whereas in reality these foods are eaten in moderate amounts alongside other foods. I think the problem is in the label. :confused:
I like this post - as it explains the misconception of HF image in a persons mind .
Agree the misconception is more to do with the label name of HF (high fat)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Personally I think the misconception is the now common belief that saturated fats are an unhealthy thing to consume, coupled with the belief that any processed food made with whole grain is a very healthy thing to eat.

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Oatmeal itself is both low Gi & low Gl, It's what you put with them that changes thing.
I tried a breakfast of steel cut oats, a slice of whole meal toast and a banana with low fat milk to see what it did to my blood glucose. This meal was an an example of a "healthy" breakfast in a handout I was given by a diabetes dietician last year. It spiked my blood glucose almost exactly the same as a cinnamon roll. I have to admit I enjoyed the cinnamon roll a lot more!

Of course, for some people porridge doesn't spike their blood glucose. Since I don't particularly like porridge, I'm not the least bit jealous.