A month as a parent of a T1D kid

justadad

A month since my 10 y.o. was discharged from hospital.
What has happened since, what have we learnt, what are the challenges, in brief:
Just to mention he was admitted with BG levels of 21 mmol, and a 3 month average of 12.
First week was bad, as my wife and I couldn't accept that this happened to him, to us. Decided to significantly alter his diet. No white bread. No whole milk. No honey. No nutella. No chips. No crisps. No soda. No boxed juice. Instead now there is graham, whole grain wheat or rye bread. Same goes with pasta. Milk is skimmed. Honey only to treat a hypo. To replace nutella I once attempted to melt a dark chocolate bar with stevia. Rice cakes or rice crisps work just fine, brown rice works best. More fish, more veggies and fruits, a bottle of Coke at school in case of a hypo, so in a month he probably has had less than 100 ml. Homemade juice - mix of lemon and orange juice.
It's a bummer we are still doing the conventional finger pricking for the glucose tests, so I can't really know what goes on with the BG at all times. His highest BG so far has been 12.3 mmol, excluding one even higher which was due to an unattended bowl of raisins which we thought would be ok for him eat. I still do not understand how come we could have missed that... His lowest has been 2.3. He has had several lows, he can understand he is going low, he feels it somewhere between the levels of 3.5 and 4.2. His endo says he's entered the honeymoon stage. He's gone down from 30 units (20 novorapid and 10 levemir) to 9. I think we are reducing it to 8 today. We are playing this by the ear, by the way. His endo so far only confirmed what we had discussed at home, so we are guessing we are probably making the right decision. BG normally between 4.5 and 8. What worries me is that our endo said anything between 4 and 10 would be great, but reading the net, western medicine insists that levels be in the range 4-7.5.
We've missed a couple of levemirs. One was a full miss, the other was half a miss, my wife administered it few hours late. No effect whatsoever. We haven't yet given any corrections. Not comfortable with that one yet.
I just ordered new needles, the nanopass 34g. We hate the ones they give us here, 31 g. Too thick. I feel as if I am stubbing my own kid with them. They don't get in easily.
Emotionally he's doing well. He had a few questions. And a bomb of a question, which my wife dealt with, beautifully I must say. So far so good, could be slightly better, but could have been much worse.
He knows how to prick his finger and check the BG. He knows the routine with the insulin pens. He just doesn't want to do any of that. He'd rather have us do that for him. No pressure though.
I can't believe how much I've written. I myself wouldn't bother to read such a long text. If anyone reads this, or comments on it, thank you :).

Namztorb

It's really hard to get to grips with it all. Kudos to you, your wife, your little boy and all the other parents and children dealing with this every day.

My son (6) was diagnosed last October. All I would say is try not to be too harsh on your son with changing his diet radically. We all want the very best for our kids, and it's so difficult to know how to achieve that. You just don't want him to feel deprived, and like diabetes has made him too different from the person he used to be. The nurses said to me, there are no "bad" foods for a T1 child. Don't adjust his food to fit diabetes, we will adjust his insulin to suit what he wants to eat.

Once you start carb counting he will have much more flexibility... and you will have a whole new thing to content with! :) Baby steps, one day at a time, and never take a bad blood glucose reading personally. :)

Reactions: Juicyj and azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good advice @Namztorb :) As an aside, whole milk works better for my blood sugar too. The fat slows any rise - plus I prefer the taste.

@justadad It sounds like you've made a great start :) Carb counting is absolultely crucial. I couldn't achieve anywhere near as good a HbA1C as I have without it. I also credit my pump with helping both my control and making me feel more 'normal' and more like I did before I got Type 1.

Edited to add that I also eat moderate portions of chips and again find the small amount of fat (I eat oven chips) stops any spike.

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @justadad Sounds like you are already doing brilliantly :)

It's alot to take in at first, in time it will all become alot easier, but try to take things easy a favourite saying amongst type 1's here is 'it's a marathon not a sprint' and I think this saying helps as otherwise it can all feel a little over whelming at first, particularly when aiming to achieve blood glucose targets, it will all settle down in time so don't feel pressured if you're not hitting his BG targets, as it sounds like he is already doing so well. My tip is to get a copy of 'Think like a Pancreas' it's got alot of useful information for newly diagnosed, and learning will help you overcome the hurdles. Type 1 does throw a few curve balls so having knowledge helps you to overcome these.

We all understand what you are going through so feel free to off load here ;)

M

ME_Valentijn

No whole milk.
There's nothing wrong with whole milk. It has a moderate amount of protein and fats which help prevent the sugars in the milk from spiking glucose levels. And kids typically need the fats in whole milk.

Fruit juice can also cause spikes just as much as any other form of pure sugar, though it might be marginally better if the pulp is left in. But the problem is with carbs in general, not just sugars. They all end up as glucose and have pretty much the same impact.

justadad

Wow, thanks all, I didn't expect that many responses in just a matter of minutes.
In terms of the diet, we started off a bit harsh, but softened a bit later on. Not a problem with him. On the plus side, we all follow a healthier diet, including my 3 y.o. son. So this works well for all.
Thank you for the wholemilk info. I will adjust that.
Carb counting, I think I've learn how to do the basics. We count the bread units over here, or 1 bread unit = 12 grams of carb or so. He doesn't go over 50 grams per meal. Snacks are no more than 15 grams. And yes, the book, Think like a pancreas, @azure has already recommended it. There's been so much going on, that I was not ready for a new read, I was more interested in getting quick answers from forums, articles, etc. I guess it is a must, since everyone talks about it :)

Cheers all

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nice write up @justadad. I did read it all!

Echo the comments on food and diet above. My daughter has around 150g - 180g carbs per day..sometimes more. Last weeks HBA1c was 42 (down from 48, 3 months back) so its working out ok. Sure there are huge spikes at times but it all comes back down and the night time is where we make our 'gains'.

Make good use of the pre-Bolus by injecting a little while before meals. We often use a 'Juice-Bolus' where we inject and follow it up with a small juice or yoghurt to keep levels good for a while....then eat when Insulin is most potent. You need a CGM or similar to make use of that.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @justadad :)

As well as the book Think Like a Pancreas (which is a fantastic read btw) there's also another which often gets a mention on diabetes forums, it's called Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults, the author is Ragnar Hanas, by all accounts its an excellent book.

Reactions: azure

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Believe me, @justadad, while it's certainly not a walk in the park, it's really not as bleak as it first appears.

Sure, there'll be a few messy hypos along the way, maybe some teenage denial thrown in for good measure, but the vast majority of us go on to have decent careers, play sport as hard as the rest of them, and generally have fulfilling lives.

It just takes a bit more planning: if anything, it makes us more resourceful.

My parents worry about it more than I do. I remember the panic when I told them I was going to go backpacking in Asia for six months. Had the time of my life.

You'll likely face that as well as a parent. Truth is, however dubious the kid's plan seems to a parent's inate tendency to wrap in cotton wool, he'll be fine, because even though he'll likely not share with you as he gets older the minutiae of how one copes with a 24/7 condition, he'll have planned it: he'll have said I''m going to do X but because I'm T1 I better make sure I do Y. Usually Y is no more than making sure there's plenty of carbs kicking around for hypos.

Oh, and he'll probably find that as other hormones kick in as he hits his teens that he'll be very popular with female classmates for no other reason that he's always carrying sweeties with him! Dextrotabs maybe not so much, but Jelly Belly beans add a degree of sophistication....

Reactions: T1Dad and justadad

justadad

Thanks, @Scott-C! As others have said, it is a marathon, not a sprint race. Shock and disbelief are over now. Focused on learning and finding ways to cope with this 'condition'.

As parents we will move mountains, but sometimes no mountains need moving, it is just our fear, or our percieved duty to care and protect at all times.

What I have learnt in the past month is that there are so many people out there who are affected by diabetes one way or another, and they are the most caring, the most helpful, the most resourceful and the most supportive sort. I have had questions and concerns, and thanks to these people, the likes of you, I have managed to find both answers and reassurance.

It does make a huge difference to know that we are not running this marathon alone.

Cheers