A question

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have occasionally been having sourdough bread. Today I thought I would test my blood
At just under an hour it was 10 At 1hr 45 it was 7.2. This was at breakfast and my fasting bg was 7.2. I'm a little uncomfortable with the 10 but as it came down quickly should I be very concerned? Should I avoid all sourdough now?
Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only official advice in this respect that I know of is that it is OK providing the level is below 8.5 at the two hour mark so going by that your readings are fine. Many people set personal targets and some of them wouldn't be happy with a 10. You are at liberty to do that also if you are concerned.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can't really judge by just one test. Try it again and see what happens. I would never discard something without at least 2 tests, although I did once with a plum. But that was a lot worse than your 10!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

The figures you quote are
7.2 fasting
10 at 1 hour (a rise of 2.8)
7.2 at 1hr 45 mins (back to starting point)

While the 10 seems high, it is really only a rise of 2.8 and you return to your pre-food number by 2 hours.
I would count those as pretty good numbers. Fasting blood glucose levels can be inconveniently high, so we generally have to work with what we get. :)

Keep testing, and keep reading. Some of us avoid rising more than 2mmol/l at any point after food, and some of us choose more leeway, so there isn't really a hard and fast rule.

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone. Before lunch it's now 5.3 so I will see what it is after 2 hours - lunch will be low carb
I've found my early morning readings are always 6.7-7.3