A Rude Awakening

Treforj

I guess it's a sign of the times, as my medication of 10 pills a day for treatment of Hypertension and Diabetes
including test-strips has been reduced to none, as part of blackmail tactics used by my friendly doctor's
surgery for failing to attend an appointment for a blood test.

I have never had a problem attending for tests before, but due to a back-to-back run of family crisis, such as
my daughter being called away for a two month tour of duty with the army, and my wife having to be away from
home because of a severe illness with her mother, this left me in a position of looking after my wonderful 3
year old granddaughter alone and unable to attend surgery for the first time. The consequence of this has
resulted in all medication being stopped and me left sucking on a pomegranate so to speak, don't you just love
the NHS!

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is appalling behaviour by your docs,I would be drafting a complaint in the strongest terms.Surely this is putting your health at great risk.Maybe a change of docs is in order.Really hope you get sorted.
All the best.
Pete

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Why would your doctor stop your medication? It would be immoral and very probably illegal as well. Have you asked at the surgery?

DNA's or "Did Not Attend" appointments cost the NHS thousands every year as well as preventing those who want an appointment from getting one sooner.

That said I would not have thought that any doctor would risk cutting off a patients bp meds for not attending, I mean if you consider the worst case scenario you could suffer a stroke or heart attack which could I imagine lead to your doctor being struck off. Why would a doctor risk that? Besides which anyone can suffer some sort of accident that may stop then attending an appointment.

I would think that there has been some sort of mix up and I would telephone my GP' surgery if this happened to me and ask what had happened to my prescription whilst taking the opportunity to apologise for missing my appointment at the same time?

Treforj

Since my posting, the situation has been resolved and medication restored but not before much argument. The one lesson I've learned from this blackmailing experience is that it would seem bureaucracy is more inportant than a patients welfare.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
My doctors are strict about FTA appointmemts due to wasted opportunities for others other sick people being denied the chance to see a doctor and their policy is both explained verbally when making the appointment as well as on various posters on the wall. I know you had a little girl to babysit, but couldn't you have made it to the pjhone to let them know you were busy and couldn't come in due to unforeseen circumstances? This would have avoided the need to have a black mark against your name. I'm not sure about the term blackmail either, as like I say it is pretty clear that the doctors only have a small window during the day for each patient during clinic and they don't like twiddling their thumbs for ten minutes when they could be treating someone. I do see your disappointment though, but I'm sure they'd understand if you rebooked rather than just not turn up and this could possibly be avoided. Maybe something to bear in mind in future? :) all the best going forward.
Mart.
It happened to me once during a bout of illness, so I phone ahead if circumstances change, letting them know at the earliest opportunity, so that someone else who needs help can be seen instead.

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't they let 3 year olds into doctors surgeries these days then?

I was looking after my nephew once (around the same age as your grand daughter) and had a glucose tolerance test, the one where you drink that vile drink and have to wait 2 hours.

I took him along with me. The nurse even said it was good to Let him watch me have the needle put in as I wad calm to show him needles are not a problem.

I think the reaction of stopping your meds was completely unethical and should be taken further. I have never heard of a policy like that before. In fact inserts be rubbish at taking my meds and would often not order them for6 months or more but they were never taken off my repeat prescription.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Treforj said:
The one lesson I've learned from this blackmailing experience is that it would seem bureaucracy is more inportant than a patients welfare.

I've noticed that. On Tuesday I went for my blood test and the nurse said she was against the new Care Plan procedure because it meant more work for them.

The Care Plan is a procedure where the patient is kept informed of what's going on and it includes a copy of the results. Before that happened I used to get a post it note but only if I asked for it.