A Scam, but I told 'em

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi At my elderly dad's today, about 11.45am, his phone rang, so I picked it up.

A foreign man started saying that my computer is having problems( I don't live there) and they have found a virus and was spouting blah, blah, blah. I listened and after a short while I said " this is an elderly persons phone and he doesn't have a computer, the man then said a laptop. hearing that I said assertively :-

" There is no computer here and this is a scam, if you EVER call this number again, I will inform the Police............. then just silence. Dialled 1471 and, not surprised, number was unavailable.

How dare they call my dad or any older person, that made me mad, no one tries to scam my dad :x

grrrrrrr RRB

A

Anonymous

That's terrible, I had a phone called yesterday while on the phone with someone else after pressing the play button on the answering me I got this message I kid you not. You have block your phone if you no longer wish to receive phone calls from us( didn't say who they were) please called number and leave your name address and PHONE Number. There are people out there who are doing everything they can to try to scam us unfortunately they keep doing it because it works. Some people do fall for it. Hopefully someone will read both these post, and think the next time they get a phone call I wonder if this is a scam. Thank god you were there and hopefully they won't call again.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
My best friend has a friend who is easily taken in.

When he visited him recently he noticed that his computer was really slow so he did a few checks and found something amiss.

"Have you had a call recently from an foreign bloke saying you had a virus on your computer?"

"Yes "

"And did he tell you to go into the computer and fiddle around with the settings?"

"Yes. And I did as I was asked as he said my computer was infected."

*Sigh*....

It took lots of scanning. And eventually the computer was fixed.

My friend told me if ever I get a call like that to loudly say the call is being recorded by the Police.

I had a call a fortnight ago and did as I was told by my friend and the call was cut off double quick.

Gave me a feeling of such power......

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've had that scam several times they said they were from Microsoft. It's also been highlighted on a tv programme. I'm sure lots of people have been taken in by this scam! As soon as I said I didn't have a computer (i do) they hung up.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We've had this one several times, what gets me is that they address us by name and speak in English. How do they know who we are and that we aren't French?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I've had loads of these RRB in fact until a few weeks ago I was getting two or three a week but I am home all day so here to receive them I guess.

I generally lead them on and ask them what the problem is and they always follow the same route when I ask what is the problem they ask me to follow a sequence of mouse clicks that opens a windows program called the "Event Viewer" this takes ages as I pretend that I cant understand them or dont know what they are asking me to do :lol: The event viewer is a windows program that records every event that occurs naturally and unnaturally on every windows PC, it is a useful program for trouble shooting problems, but it is perfectly normal for every PC to have a long list of "Events", they will tell you that they are a dangerous virus's that will steal your passwords, banking details identity etc etc but that they can fix it, all you need to do is pay them some money and they will upload a program to your PC to "fix it". All they are after is your money, I can string them along for an hour or so on a good day :lol:

Eventually I tell them I am a computer tech and wont be falling for they pathetic little tricks at which point they hang up but I have the pleasure of knowing that I have kept them on the phone for x minutes and that they are paying for the call from the other side of the world where 99.9% of all these calls come from.

Microsoft do not have a list of people who own they computers and would not know if you had a virus or not and neither would they care much either way, the one thing you can be 100% certain of is that they would never ever ring you up and tell you you have a virus on your computer.

The next time you get one of these calls just hang up, or tell them your calls are being traced by the police or do what I do and act dumb and string them along and at least get the satisfaction that you have wasted their time and cost them money :lol:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Sid Bonkers said:
I've had loads of these RRB in fact until a few weeks ago I was getting two or three a week but I am home all day so here to receive them I guess.

I generally lead them on and ask them what the problem is and they always follow the same route when I ask what is the problem they ask me to follow a sequence of mouse clicks that opens a windows program called the "Event Viewer" this takes ages as I pretend that I cant understand them or dont know what they are asking me to do :lol: The event viewer is a windows program that records every event that occurs naturally and unnaturally on every windows PC, it is a useful program for trouble shooting problems, but it is perfectly normal for every PC to have a long list of "Events", they will tell you that they are a dangerous virus's that will steal your passwords, banking details identity etc etc but that they can fix it, all you need to do is pay them some money and they will upload a program to your PC to "fix it". All they are after is your money, I can string them along for an hour or so on a good day :lol:

Eventually I tell them I am a computer tech and wont be falling for they pathetic little tricks at which point they hang up but I have the pleasure of knowing that I have kept them on the phone for x minutes and that they are paying for the call from the other side of the world where 99.9% of all these calls come from.

Microsoft do not have a list of people who own they computers and would not know if you had a virus or not and neither would they care much either way, the one thing you can be 100% certain of is that they would never ever ring you up and tell you you have a virus on your computer.

The next time you get one of these calls just hang up, or tell them your calls are being traced by the police or do what I do and act dumb and string them along and at least get the satisfaction that you have wasted their time and cost them money :lol:

When it comes to dealing with scammers I like your style! :thumbup: Let 'em stew!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Robinredbreast said:
Hi At my elderly dad's today, about 11.45am, his phone rang, so I picked it up.

A foreign man started saying that my computer is having problems( I don't live there) and they have found a virus and was spouting blah, blah, blah. I listened and after a short while I said " this is an elderly persons phone and he doesn't have a computer, the man then said a laptop. hearing that I said assertively :-

" There is no computer here and this is a scam, if you EVER call this number again, I will inform the Police............. then just silence. Dialled 1471 and, not surprised, number was unavailable.

How dare they call my dad or any older person, that made me mad, no one tries to scam my dad :x

grrrrrrr RRB
Meow!!!:smile: Well done you! They are the scum of the earth so they are. Your Dad was lucky you were there to deal with there scuzzy antics.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sid Bonkers said:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I love it! Such a let down for them when they think they have you in the bag and then realise they have just been scammed. I'm going to try this - I usually just end up really annoyed! There are so many different types of phone scams now. Great imagination in coming up with them but such a terrible shame they don't put their imaginations to better use. The world we live in I suppose

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I used to have quite a few unsolicited calls, when I registered my phone number on the tps register, the calls stopped.

I think I've received one call since them and I subsequently told them that I was tps registered and it was illegal to make these unsolicited calls to me.

Tps can't block every call, but it's a free service and may help significantly reduce the number of unsolicited calls you receive. If you search on google for tps registration, their website will come up.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I used to have quite a few unsolicited calls, when I registered my phone number on the tps register, the calls stopped.

I think I've received one call since them and I subsequently told them that I was tps registered and it was illegal to make these unsolicited calls to me.

Tps can't block every call, but it's a free service and may help significantly reduce the number of unsolicited calls you receive. If you search on google for tps registration, their website will come up.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Lucypieee said:

I registered with the Telephone preference Service years ago and it has stopped a lot of calls, unfortunately the scam type calls do not originate from the UK, they are usually from Asia or Africa. They will never have even heard of the TPS so will just keep going regardless, I had three or four in one day once and I swear that two were the same person. I used to get angry but now as I said earlier I just string them along and get the last laugh :lol:

Your right though the sales calls from the UK usually hang up as soon as you mention the tps so its well worth registering :thumbup:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I've just registered with TPS, as we get a ridiculous amount of marketing calls trying to flog us double glazing, new kitchens, new patios and what not. I also keep getting calls from a company asking me to sign up to a lottery syndicate for £45/mo - I think NOT!

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
One of the worst offenders I at the moment are the PPI guys. I used to get them calling and telling me I had been paying PPI and was entitled to a refund, they would then ask for my name and address, they usualy hang up after I tell them they should know seeing as they know I have taken out PPI. lol

Its not so much of a problem now as I have a call blocker app for my smartphone and I can add the phone numbers and text message numbers to a blacklist. Unfortunately it doesn't block the unknown numbers better than nowt though.

Mark

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
For a while I was getting lot of spam text messages on my mobile. I was told never to reply, but to forward them to 7726 (which is the number equivalent of dialling "spam" on your keyboard); you then get an acknowledgement text from your provider (O2 in my case). I did this religiously over a few weeks and they did eventually dry up.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you lead them away from their script they are totally lost I had great fun with a lady who asked to speak to my husband by name and when I said he wasnt available she said she would ask me the questions as I was his wife 1st question was what is your maiden name so I told her it was ok she could call me Mrs Taylor no she said I want your maiden name Its ok I dont mind if you call me Mrs Taylor .This went on for some time but she gave up in the end because she couldnt carry on without an answer to the 1st question :lol:
CAROL