A Tiny Whinge

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Neat to see this thread - I've been thinking about this stuff quite a bit lately too. Following a couple of dining scenarios with some hostile and suspicious responses around food and drink choices, and body weight issues.

I think it can be a really unfortunate part of how women relate to each other (and I hear you on the Aunt thing!), that part of the female success profile is about weight, and physical appearnace/grooming etc. So, some competition and rivalry centered around weight and appearance and that kind of negative stuff rears its ugly head.

And, I do believe it is an understandable consequence of current governmental guidelines on nutrition, that differs considerably to what I at least am reporting to anyone who wants to know re my own weight loss and maintenance story. I get that, and I am lucky that I have some great friends with weight (and blood glucose issues) that enter into debate with me on this topic, so I am not left wondering why they are taking exception to what I say about what constitutes fattening food. Or bloating food etc. (The 'balanced diet' idea and line has a lot to answer to in my experience with friends and family with fat storage issues.)

I have put it down to - no-one, but no-one wants to know that sugar is toxic in high doses for everyone, and particularly if you have already crossed to the other side with blood glucose issues. And wheat products, in everything, everywhere, for my own family of origin, could be causing them serious health and body issues. Just this last weekend, at an extended family dining function, a cousin was extremely upset with me to the point she told me I was delusional and paranoid (I believe she is currently mood disordered with untreated diabetes!), around my recurrent wee speech concerning my own known bad response to wheat, and that maybe, family members who share a lot of my DNA might be too... (I was talking about my dad, her uncle, not her, which of course it applies to her too, and her health and fat storage profile is pretty serious, which may account for her extreme response to my wheat story.)

Hostility and suspicion could in fact be a screen for great disappointment and sadness and anger at what food (and confusion re the differing messages) does and can do to us? And a normal weighted (once a big girl as I was) diabetic messenger gets the brunt of this feeling? I don't know. Just a suggestion....

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do find comments about weight loss make me feel conflicted - everyone loves a compliment right? But - I think it's more a signal of social approval or judgement. Well done, you've made such an effort, you're looking great - but I didn't do this to win your approval or make myself more attractive in general. If I had done it for those reasons I'd feel warm and fuzzy at the comment maybe.

It's also a bit like someone saying "Your hair looks nice today" or "that outfit really suits you" - as though changes we've made for our health are about vanity.

I got high fived by my diabetic nurse, when my HbA1c came down, my weight came down, my health markers improved etc. - after I did intermittent fasting and low carb a few years ago. But no, she didn't want to hear about how I did it because it didn't fit with the received wisdom.