A very happy lurker

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I’ve been lurking and scouring the forum for the last 10 weeks.
12 weeks ago had a shock diagnosis of Type 2 with an hba1c of 87.
I spent the first 2 weeks in the usual head spinning quandary, lots of help and confusing information then thankfully discovered this forum.
I immediately decided to go the low carb route.
Which in turn gave me respite from chronic leg pain and allowed me to take long dog walks again and the cardio exercise.
The reason I’ve joined today, is to say a massive Thankyou.
Reading other people’s stories/pitfalls has been inspiring.
Help on which foods, recipes I’ve worked my way through have all helped massively.
Had my 12 week bloods results today- have dropped from 87 to 38.
I am obviously over the moon and very grateful for all your help.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I spent the first 2 weeks in the usual head spinning quandary, lots of help and confusing information then thankfully discovered this forum.
Which in turn gave me respite from chronic leg pain and allowed me to take long dog walks again and the cardio exercise.
Help on which foods, recipes I’ve worked my way through have all helped massively.
That's brilliant well done
What medicine did you use as well as going low carb?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! - keep up the good work :)

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's brilliant well done
What medicine did you use as well as going low carb?
Thanks everyone.
Was prescribed Metformin, 1 tablet first week, 2 for 2nd and then three daily.
5mg Dapagliflozin daily, which got rid of a ridiculous amount of sugar
And Atorvastatin which I stopped taking after 4 weeks. Leg cramps and muscle aches were just not worth it.

My GP phoned me today to increase my Atorvastatin, she’s not happy with my cholesterol Has dropped from 7.5 to 5.5.
Didn’t tell her I’d stopped taking it as I was irked she said I didn’t need a review as my hba is now normal.
I’ve asked for a face to face so we can discuss meds.
No mention of reducing Metformin or dapagliflozen, just up the statin.
Was also surprised she didn’t ask how I’d reduced from 87 to 38.
Obviously the meds have helped, but not that much!
Am seeing DNurse next week.
Sounds like GP has no further interest, which is not ideal after only 12 weeks.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. It might be worth putting a post in the "success stories" part of the forum, as encouragment for others.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent work!!!

Reactions: Kernow Debra

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! That is totally brilliant and just goes to show all your hard work has paid off. I’m on the same 2 medications plus low carb. Just a word of warning when you see the diabetic nurse ignore the recommended diet sheet she’ll probably give you and the advice that you should eat carbs, they’re outdated. Have you got a metre and test strips? See if you can get one through your surgery, usually not but it depends on their policy.
I agree about ditching the statins but that’s a personal view, it’s been proven to cause diabetes, so why would you want to do that!? Carry on what you are doing, you’re a star!

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! That is totally brilliant and just goes to show all your hard work has paid off. I’m on the same 2 medications plus low carb. Just a word of warning when you see the diabetic nurse ignore the recommended diet sheet she’ll probably give you and the advice that you should eat carbs, they’re outdated. Have you got a metre and test strips? See if you can get one through your surgery, usually not but it depends on their policy.
I agree about ditching the statins but that’s a personal view, it’s been proven to cause diabetes, so why would you want to do that!? Carry on what you are doing, you’re a star!
Thanks, yes I got a meter at the start. Was invaluable.
Spoke on the phone with DN just after diagnosis. I think I got lucky as she told me it was reversible with certain diets.She mentioned the Fast 12 week thingy, which I looked at but decided against.
I wanted a sustainable for life way of eating, not starving for 12 weeks then going straight back to old ways.
I have also lost 22lbs in weight so with that and my hba number I think she’ll be pleased.
My battle I fear will be with the statins/cholesterol.
Dare I mention low carb high fat?

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dare I mention low carb high fat?
Perhaps if Nursey leads into the conversation it might be useful, but my DN would have imploded (might have been a good idea at that) as NHS protocol insists on promoting the Eatwell plate. Luckily (?) neither she nor GP asked me how I'd lost a shedload of weight and got my bloods down to pre- then non-diabetic levels. Yours will do whatever they do and say whatever they say, but it's up to you whether you take statins - I won't - they can suggest but it's your body your decision.

And CONGRATULATIONS on your success! Let yourself glow with achievement. We can say it but YOU are the one who did it!

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Outlier, I certainly am glowing!
I feel better than I have done for a long time.
I’m more active, I was always a sporting kind of type before various injuries and weight gain, very competitive hence my desire to beat the doubters that I couldn’t drop my hba in a short space of time.
I will report back with Nursey’s advice
Having regained my fitness and ability to move I am loathe to give it up for a statin.

• Winner
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My battle I fear will be with the statins/cholesterol.
My GP phoned me today to increase my Atorvastatin, she’s not happy with my cholesterol Has dropped from 7.5 to 5.5.
Didn’t tell her I’d stopped taking it
You have the very strong point that it already dropped from 7.5 to 5.5 without taking the statins, So you can just tell them you want to see what happens further without the statins first, your numbers back you up. :)

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update- tomorrows appointment with DN cancelled due to illness. Can’t see me for 2 weeks.
I did have a bit of a moan to the surgery, as that will be 3 weeks since my blood test and no review of my meds. I told them I was stopping all meds until I see a Gp.
They relented and a GP gave me a telephone call this afternoon.

I was all ready for the battle of statins etc, but to my delight a lovely young man was on the end of the phone. First thing he said fantastic, well done you for you Hba1c drop.
And then asked how I’d done it.
He’s stopped the Dapagliflozin, reduced Metformin to just 1 a day and said he was in no rush to start me on another statin.
No rush for statins he said, my weight loss, low carb diet and exercise should take care of my cholesterol naturally!
Wants another test in 3 months to see how I’m going, then we had a nice chat about low carb recipes, discussing making pasta with Lupin flour!
He asked me to spell it, as he’d not heard of it. Said he was going to Google it when he’d finished work!
I fear he’s a locum or newly qualified passing through GP, refreshing to see younger more open minded doctors coming down the line.

So I’m very happy to ditch the meds, but the pressure is now on me to continue.
Is great motivation to keep doing what I’m doing and stop any complacency/carb creep.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Wow! That's an amazing result so soon after diagnosis! I am so very pleased for you x

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a wonderful Dr.! And what a wonderful BG result from your hard work and discipline.

Reactions: filly
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I please ask a question

You mention your HB/A1c was 87 but the chart I’m using only gives me a single figure and a point such as 8.7

Am I using the wrong chart

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the U.K. hba1c is expressed as mmol
Other parts of the world still use a percentage.
Neither chart is wrong, just different.

5B1969A8-5BC5-4690-B062-26D48C14414E.png