A word of warning for newbies

csarge38

After being diagnosed in September 2012 I went into panic mode and cut out everything nasty (and enjoyable really). Losing over a stone and a half in the process. As time went on I experimented with different food types to keep an eye on BG levels. Along comes Christmas and I thought well perhaps one or two bits of chocolate wont hurt (certainly no-where near the amount that I would have had) I actually though I was being good and my BG levels were not that bad. Weighed myself this morning and have put back nearly all the weight that I had lost. Therefore my diabetic friends please be warned do not fall into the trap that I did thinking that 'just a little' wont hurt. Obviously it does. I have slowly started having potatoes again and things like that and this too has not helped. So in summary for newbies please be careful what you eat )a very occasional treat is probably ok but for me..............time to get back on it

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Popular chocolates, mince pies and so on we all come across over Christmas are nightmare junk foods however nice they taste as they have tons of sugar added. I've been eating my 85% dark chocolate over christmas as it's mainly real chocolate not just sugar. I did go mad and split a mince pie with my wife each day; wow! I searched the web for no sugar-added mince pies without success. Why does no one do any with sweeteners.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you make your own mince pies, you can reducee the sugar and exchange it for sweetener if you want, unfortunately, the fruits in mincemeat are high sugar and it's hard to make pastry without the carbs in flour.
Some things cannot be made truly low carb although most things can be carb reduced. I did make a carb reduced Christmas pudding and,slathered in cream, it was delicious.
Hana

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started a week or so before christmas but succumbed to a couple of mince pies and three or four chocolates throughout the festive season. My BG wasn't affected too much but the biggest surprise was the increase one day when I relied on a beef and onion T cake (muffin, bap, depending on where you come from) for lunch and a ham and tomato in the evening. Refined white flour appears to give me the biggest spikes. It seems that experimenting is an important step, followed by careful sourcing and home cooking. I was surprised to see the different values in a single product such as low fat yoghurt. They're all different.