Aaaaaaargh! Sugar Craving!

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been finding LCHF fairly easy to adjust to and I am feeling very well. my energy has improved, which means I've been exercising more vigorously, and I feel fitter and in more control of my eating than I have for years. I've never had much of a sweet tooth, so it's not been hard to drop sugar.

So why have I suddenly developed major sugar cravings? It started last night, and I had a couple of squares of 85% chocolate, and it's here again this evening - this time a ate one of the home made chocolates which someone gave me as a present. I don't even know what was in it, except it had ginger and coconut in it and was lovely! They've been in the house untouched for three weeks, but suddenly I couldn't resist. I'll be giving the rest of them away tomorrow!!

So to reiterate - any ideas why I've suddenly been visited by this craving and how can I make it go away?!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Brush teeth or use a rinse mouthwash guaranteed to take
cravings away .
Try it ? and see ?

Reactions: 5 people

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you give in to the craving it will get bigger and bigger each time

Try and resist it and you'll find they naturally disappear

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Boredom or just relaxing can create carb cravings.

Try a hobbie in evenings that will take your mind away from the carbs.

If I'm with hubby sat watching tv on a Saturday night then its far different frim nights when I'm actively doing paperwork or upholstery or other stuff. I just get bored and generally just fall asleep rather than eat.

However I never fall asleep on other nights when my brain is active. Your brain is probably tuned in to boredom and carbs.. Mines boredom and falling asleep....

Try having more fat yes, but keep mind active even if its doing a crossword..

Reactions: 3 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Crochet, knit or read a good thriller or do a word search or
crossword puzzle sorts the boredom out for me .
Plus being on my PC on this fabulous forum too helps ... :D

Too much to do - less time to nibble ;):happy:

Reactions: 2 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for your replies. I think the feeling of disappointment I got when I gave in will be a good deterrent, and I'll try some of the other strategies, next time although to be fair, I had resisted for a couple of hours before I caved!

Thinking about it, I'd been outdoors in the weather all afternoon - from midday until about half five or so, and quite active. The dogs stole my lovely healthy lunch of homemade coleslaw and vegan slices when left unattended for about 90 blinkin seconds, and I ended up with a couple of rashers of bacon from elsewhere. Maybe that was part of it?!

I never get bored by the way!

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
My snacks (not needed now for more than a month) are / were tree nuts (almonds and walnuts - not peanuts) peperami (always carry some with me, does not need to be refrigerated) and pork scratchings.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My snacks (not needed now for more than a month) are / were tree nuts (almonds and walnuts - not peanuts) peperami (always carry some with me, does not need to be refrigerated) and pork scratchings.

I bought some pork scratchings but couldn't eat them, they were rock hard and i was scared my teeth were going to break off if i tried to eat them!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I bought some pork scratchings but couldn't eat them, they were rock hard and i was scared my teeth were going to break off if i tried to eat them!
Given my recent toothache problems .
I would NEVER attempt pork scratchings . :eek::arghh::yuck:
Never ever ...

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Given my recent toothache problems .
I would NEVER attempt pork scratchings . :eek::arghh::yuck:
Never ever ...

I had one tooth snap off at the gum over xmas, after biting into a malteser! And another tooth broke in half, don't know what caused that. Am having a new crown fitted next week on one, after having a root canal treatment, then having to start the same process again with the other tooth.

I've had no end of problems with my teeth for years now, so I'm joining you in never eating anything hard again! I thought the pork scratching might be a bit crunchy, like porl crackliong, never realised they'd be bullet hard!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I had one tooth snap off at the gum over xmas, after biting into a malteser! And another tooth broke in half, don't know what caused that. Am having a new crown fitted next week on one, after having a root canal treatment, then having to start the same process again with the other tooth.

I've had no end of problems with my teeth for years now, so I'm joining you in never eating anything hard again! I thought the pork scratching might be a bit crunchy, like porl crackliong, never realised they'd be bullet hard!

Ouch - that's going to be a costly bill for you at the dentists .
Simply NOT worth a tiny bag of salt laden pork scratchings :yuck::arghh::eek:

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ouch - that's going to be a costly bill for you at the dentists .
Simply NOT worth a tiny bag of salt laden pork scratchings :yuck::arghh::eek:

Luckily I get it free since I was medically retired, but you're right, nothing is worth risking that pain for!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Luckily I get it free since I was medically retired, but you're right, nothing is worth risking that pain for!
You lucky lady - wish I could :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'd gladly swap places, but you wouldn't want what I've got! And I was devastated when I had to leave my job :(
Oh - feel free to PM this story to me .
Would love to know and help you if I can do ?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's nothing anyone can do, I'm being well looked after by various consultants who are finally working together to try and improve things, including more major surgery coming up. I just wanted to point out that there's nothing lucky about being unable to work through illness, even if you do get free prescriptions! I'd much rather be well and working.