About insulin pumps

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I swear mine is small : D I usually use the clip on it to just clip it to my belt or waistband. It looks like a little,pager there. The tube tucks in my waist and isn't visible. It doesn't get in my way at all.

Yes, I'm in the UK :)

If you were to get a pump, how you wear it is your choice. Maybe your friend fis happy with the big band - I've almost always used the pump clip. When I wear a dress I usually tuck my pump in a Tubigrip on my thigh. It's totally invisible even with a tight dress on.
Oh really azure that's sounds great I'm defo going to look into it further i just need something that suits me and makes my life easier and healthier.
Really appreciate the advise :)

Reactions: azure

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I have the Medtronic 640G i don't dance or wear dresses (well only when my wife is out of the house lol) these pumps are easy to wear. I treat it as a part of me. I wear mine around my neck, also clip it to the buttoned part of a polo shirt and at night i either clip it to my waist but mostly wear it in a Spiebelt.

Regards

Martin

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi all I am a type 1 diabetic have been found six years, I am a dancer and dance most days I also have an 8 month old baby since being diagnosed my levels have never been great, but when pregnant they were amazing now having my baby I'm slipping back to the way I was I am remembering to take my insulin. But I'm not working out units and testing my sugars is somthing I am not great at.
So I'm asking what are people's opinion about the pump? Will it get in my way with dancing, will it improve my situation I need to do something as now have a little one depending on me but the just look so big and in the way.
Many thanks :)

The pump only does what you tell it. So if you are not working out carbs or testing then a pump is no good to you at all. No consultant in their right mind would even offer you a pump until you show commitment to look after yourself.
So there's your goal prove that you can carb count do your bolus and correction and also blood test. Record all that you are doing and then a consultant will look at your request. :)

Pumps are fine with dancing tubi grip is wonderful for a tubed pump strapped to you arm, there are also tubeless (pumps pods) that are worked via a handset.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I believe @dancer is a dancer with a pump. She may be able to offer advice as to living with it.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you noblehead i really appreciate the advice, I have heard some pumps can do BG reading aswell is this true?
Oh cool I will look into that one too, are you in uk as I no different states do different meters ect?

Input has some info on pumps available on the NHS in England and Wales - http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/pump-suppliers/

The pumps available from your clinic might be more limited. When you know what's available, have a look on YouTube for people using the pumps - that'll give you a better idea that they aren huge and can be worn during exercise no problem.

I think a few pumps come with a control handset that has a BG metre integrated? Using that still requires sticking your finger to test your blood sugar. A couple of pumps can integrate with CGMs but funding for a CGM on the NHS is unusual, and highly unlikely of you aren't trying to control with traditional testing.

I don't think the kaleido pump is available in the uk yet. Omnipod is the only patch / tubeless pump so far.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi martin
Well when you have a new born baby#babybrain and rushed off your feet in uni and studdying and a job it seems to just sometimes slip my mind so for me it's trying to get in a routine and a way to remember.
Regards
Jemma

Jemma - most of us go through the not testing phase to be honest in the early days.

Try just doing a test before each meal - you should try to work out your meal carbs and insulin dose, so do a blood test before each one.

If you can remember do one 2hrs post each meal too - this can be much harder but you can get one of those alarms on your phone to remind you maybe.

I'd agree with what others have said I'd expect you would need to show your in control before your offered a pump.

jemz24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jemma - most of us go through the not testing phase to be honest in the early days.

Try just doing a test before each meal - you should try to work out your meal carbs and insulin dose, so do a blood test before each one.

If you can remember do one 2hrs post each meal too - this can be much harder but you can get one of those alarms on your phone to remind you maybe.

I'd agree with what others have said I'd expect you would need to show your in control before your offered a pump.
Thank you chas C
It's good to no I'm not alone and only one that forgets.
Today I've done a bit better iv tested 3 times already which is more than usual.
Yes I agree I do need to work out my carbs more as I normally guess and estimate what I need.
I suppose Atleast I am remembering my insulin which Is a start. Thank you for advise tho means alot :)

Reactions: Chas C

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As @tim2000s said, I do have a pump and also do some dancing. I've been on the pump for almost 7 years and it has been no problem (apart from the first week when we were learning new steps in the rumba, and it was almost knocked off my waistband when I collided with my husband). Since then, I've always worn the pump clipped to my bra, between my boobs and it's been fine

The pump is great and has given me better control than when I was on MDI. It does involve a lot of testing, especially in the first weeks but it is worthwhile. I find it much easier now to control my blood sugars during and after exercise (dancing or other).

There is a handy alert, or alarm, on the pump to remind you to test or bolus. I have found this useful a couple of times, when I've been rushing, or out of my usual routine, and forgotten to bolus a meal.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you chas C
It's good to no I'm not alone and only one that forgets.
Today I've done a bit better iv tested 3 times already which is more than usual.
Yes I agree I do need to work out my carbs more as I normally guess and estimate what I need.
I suppose Atleast I am remembering my insulin which Is a start. Thank you for advise tho means alot :)

Well done for today :)

I was diagnosed at 11yrs and never really took it seriously until my early 20's, not that I'd recommend that at all to anyone.

I always estimate carbs, but based on knowledge I've built up, the Carb & Cals book is very useful tool .

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiA_-yA287RAhUCOsAKHU8tCRQQFgg6MAA&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbs-Cals-Carbohydrate-Counting-Diabetes/dp/0956443052&usg=AFQjCNE0LIVbWQKwRdmsx7Y7qN1WKBTvfA&sig2=c90u66eEgn3HKxxidLbhAw&bvm=bv.144224172,d.bGg

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Another thought to encourage you @jemz24 it's most important to keep your blood sugars as normal as possible due to the problems diabetes can cause to feet and limbs if not managed correctly obviously not good especially if you want to be or are a dancer.

Well done on doing some testing yesterday :)

GregorBehr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you thomasm88 I am UK based I will have a browse,
Thank you for link jasmine1616 again will have a look.
Anyone no about the kaleido looks like will suit my needs but again I'm not an expert :/ xx
I think we're going to see several new styles of Patch Pumps coming to market over the next few years.
The first of course is the Insulet Omnipod which has been around for several years. They are currently on their 2nd generation model and during their last investor's conference call, they announced the Omnipod Dash system. A Bluetooth connected pod that will work with an all new PDM, with CGM integration. The PDM (controller) will be a stripped down Andriod phone (it won't be able to make calls, just the software on it will control the pod) and I'm guessing the CGM will be from Dexcom... but again that is me guessing. That is expected to come to market in late 2017 or early 2018... assuming they don't run into any problems.
There is a Korean company in development of a patch pump, Debiotech (a Swiss company) has the Jewel Pump, but I can't seem to find much information beyond their website about sales. There is of course the Cellnovo which is doing quite well in the UK and expanding sales throughout the EU and recently applied for 510(k) certification in the US (similar to getting its CE mark).
And then there is the Kaleido. I've been doing a lot of research on this pump and I'm probably biased because their headquarters are located in my partner's hometown in the Netherlands. But here is what I can tell you from what I've pieced together so far from blogs and videos and Tweeting & emailing them directly with questions...
They are in their final stages of "real world" user testing. Ramping up production and getting their distribution network in place. The hint I got was they expect to be on the market before summer of this year. The initial launch will include the UK and the Netherlands, with Germany being their 3rd target market. Sales will be through your local clinic, but I'm waiting to hear if they'll do direct sales, as I live in the US but want this pump! Thankfully we have a small flat in the Netherlands, so can have supplies sent there.
The concept of the Kaleido is very similar to the Cellnovo, but given that one Kaleido's Board members used to work at Cellnovo, I'm not too surprised by that. So far the biggest difference I can find between the two (outside of aesthetics), is that the Cellnovo has a built in BG meter and the Kaleido does not. Some people will find that a deal breaker. They want to carry one less item, and want the BG meter built in. But I understand Kaleido's thinking, they aren't forcing the user to be locked into one brand of test strips. You can use whichever brand you like or can afford. I do wish they had CGM integration, but perhaps that will be in a future model?
I can't add links, so here is some cut & pastes from a few blogs with details:
*Basal - basal profile (x7), temp basal, create basal, change basal, modify basal
* Bolus - quick bolus, extended bolus and bolus wizard, but you must enter your BG manually
*Stop and pause pumping (pause option means the handset will tell you how much insulin you've missed when you go back to
using it)
* It holds 200 units of insulin. This may not be enough for those with insulin resistance to go 3 days without a top up. But given that Humalog now makes a concentrated version of their insulin, meaning you should get the same reaction with less insulin, this shouldn't be an issue for most people.
* The pumps and handset need to be charged on average every 3 days. I suspect you can go longer than 3 days, but better to have a fully charged unit than run out of power unexpectedly! But that's why you have two pumps, just swap one out and recharge the other. As for the control unit, I just think of it as plugging my mobile in at night...
* The charge time for the pump and meter is about 1.5 hours
* Recommended change time for the cannulas is every 3 days.. but I wonder if you could go a day or so longer?
* The pump is waterproof up to 1 meter
* Compatible with Diasend for uploading data and sending it to your Doctor
* The pump's recharging pad and the controller will both use a USB connection for their power source.
* The tubing comes in different lengths (5cm and 30cm)
* You can see your current basal profile on the handset in a graph form rather than just numbers/units per hour
* Temporary basal rates from 10-200% over 3.5 hours
* If you require more than 200 units of insulin you over the 3 day "life" of the cannulas and pump charge, you will need to fill a new reservoir and attach it to the pump.
* The cannulas with be available in either a straight or angled version. They are looking into stainless steel versions in the future.
* Velcro Attachment - For easy placement and removal if you ever need a break from it.
* Quick error alerts - If you get an occlusion, your handset will warn you in 30 minutes.

One marketing highlight of the Kaleido is of course their color selection. You get to pick 2 out of the 10 colors for your pumps. Plus the color trim of the control unit. There appears to be 5 color selections for the insulin reservoirs as well. Some people will love the mix and match aspect, some won't care at all.
With the lack of BG or CGM integration and only a 3.5 hour temp basal rate, some will find it too paired down for their needs. Others will not. I guess that's the benefit of having even more options on the market for pump users to chose from. Pick what works best for you.
I've tried a tradional pump... HATE THEM! Having to carry the pump in my pocket or some sidebag, always getting the tubing caught up on something or my cat trying to chew on it. Pass! -- Again, this is me. The majority of pump users are using these types of pumps and owe their quality of life to them.
The Omnipod is a great option for many people. The all-in-one aspect is awesome. No tubing at all, self-injecting cannulas, very small footprint, and can be placed on several parts of the body that traditional pumps may not always lend well to. They also have their drawbacks. The Pods have a 3 day life and they will give you a very loud reminder about this! They cannot be refilled or reused. If you must remove it or something happens that it comes off before the 3 days are up, the unit is garbage. Speaking of which, those pods add up to a lot of plastic, batteries, and circuitry. While you can send them back to Insulet for recycling, it still seems like a lot of bits and pieces to be dealt with in a world that already has enough industrial & medical waste to contend with. The Cellnovo and Kaleido only require the recycling of the insulin reservoirs.
One plus or minus of the Cellnovo and Kaleido is the need to have two adhesive patches on your body. One for the cannulas and one for the pump. Some won't like that at all... they'd rather the one of an Omnipod or traditional pump. Some won't mind given the flexibility of the shorter tubing and ability to remove the pump as needed without removing the cannulas.

So I guess what I'm trying to get to, is that it's great to see so many options for pump users with current devices and new ones coming to market. If you're in need sooner than later, have a look at Cellnovo. If you can wait a few months, then Kaleido may be a great option for you as well. Good luck!