ACCU-CHEK AVIVA TEST STRIPS EBAY WARNING?

tandydog

I may be wrong in this, but there is a seller on ebay selling Accu-chek Aviva test strips that do NOT have the green symbol on the box. I have an information slip from my box of test strips (boots not ebay )
IMPORTANT USER INFORMATION: These test strips are labeled with a green symbol to distinguish them from earlier test strips that were subject to a clinically relevant maltose interference. The green symbol can be found on the test strip box and on the label of the test strip container.

I have no idea what maltose interference is, but it must be important!!!!

So beware of some sellers!

Beryl

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The following link is quite complicated but, in short, it appears that the older sticks (without the green label) can give a false high reading due to interference from certain ingredients found in some dietary supplements. Clearly, if you then give a higher dose of insulin based on the high reading a hypo can occur.

Link: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/563253_1

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These may be old strips I always find out the expiry date before ordering any strips from e-bay
CAROL

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
carty said:
These may be old strips I always find out the expiry date before ordering any strips from e-bay
CAROL

It's quite possible that the test strips on eBay are still well within their use by date, but if Accu-Chek have recalled the old strips due to a fault, only those sold by chemists and known retailers will have been replaced with the updated sticks. I doubt that many eBay sellers will be interested in returning stock to Accu-Chek for replacement.